HDHR Prime $135 shipped

Great price for a great product.

Been using mine since last fall without any issues with SageTV (Damn you! Why did you have to sell out to Google :( ). It has actually been more stable than my v1 HDHR tuner since Comcrap likes to play the "juggling QAM channels" game almost every month and I don't notice until I've missed a recording or two.

Just bought one a few weeks ago from Woot for $150 which was a good price then. Love it. If I hadn't just dropped $650 on new IB components I'd probably be in for another to get six tuners. Maybe the price will keep falling and I'll score another one later.

Word of caution: if your cable provider, like mine, converts the 2-81 low/local SD channels to analog to work with older TV's without a STB, this won't pick them up. It's strictly a digital tuner, there's no support for NTSC. So if you're building a DVR box like WMC you'll have to add analog tuner(s) if you want to tune/record analog channels. WMC supports 4 of each tuner type out of the box, and there are mods available that increase that to 12 tuners.

I grabbed one through J&R.com and used the Amazon checkout. Thanks! I felt a little better getting it with Amazon's customer service in case I need it and I get 5% cashback with Discover. Woot on reseller ratings looks a little sketchy and I haven't bought from them before.

If anyone wants a Ceton card I will probably be selling mine soon. I wanted to get one of these so I can set the tuner in the utility room easier and take the Ceton out of my WHS 2011 box.

Woot on reseller ratings looks a little sketchy and I haven't bought from them before.
Seriously? Not only is Woot extremely legit but they're owned by Amazon. I've bought tons of stuff from them going back years and never had an issue.

Seriously? Not only is Woot extremely legit but they're owned by Amazon. I've bought tons of stuff from them going back years and never had an issue.

It's one of the better ones of the deal a day sites. But its still a deal a day site and they run a stricter return policy and little/no customer support

I want to talk to a live person there, can I call you?
No. We are busy sourcing new products and shipping orders...

Will I receive customer support like I'm used to?
No. Well, not really. If you buy something you don't end up liking or you have what marketing people call "buyer's remorse," sell it on eBay...

How do I return a defective product?
Unless we specifically tell you not to, call the manufacturer of the product you bought...
http://www.woot.com/WhatIsWoot.aspx

^^^ I'm familiar with their policy, I've been a Wooter since they opened. :) Most deal-a-day sites are short on service, and Woot somewhat pioneered the concept (or at least brought it into more mainstream popularity). As you say, they're certainly one of the best, and I'd probably rank them #1.

I guess I just bristled at the "shady" insinuation. They're very upfront about their policies, and I've spent thousands with them over the years with never a complaint, other than they sometimes take their time about shipping (which they're also upfront about). But maybe he was referring more to the risk with possibly wanting to return something vs the shadiness of Woot's practices. I will say though that many people have had Woot replace DOA merchandise provided they still had stock.

As an example of what they will do: a few years back they sold some ATI TV tuner/capture cards that shipped without the video capture cables in the box. As soon as they started getting complaints and realized it, they went back to ATI and shipped cable sets out to their customers. It was obviously the right thing to do, but a lot of other sites would have just hidden behind an AS-IS disclaimer.

This was my first Woot.

I bought the HDHR Prime at around 1AM Thursday before I went to bed. At the time, the price was $150 plus $5 shipping. In the morning, I saw the price was reduced to $130 plus $5 shipping. I was a little bummed I have to admit.

Around 12:30pm I got an email from Woot explaining they would be crediting my account $20 so I got the new lower price on the deal. I was more than happy with that.

Later I got an email with a UPS tracking # for my item, its being delivered today. So all in all I'm pleased with the experience with Woot so far.

Back