HDMI Audio and Crossfire

goud

Limp Gawd
Hello,
I am trying to get HDMI audio out of my second 5870 while running crossfire. By second I mean the second video card, not the one I am driving my monitor connections out of.

Why?
Well the audio from the ATI HDMI seems superior to my optical digital audio from my on board realtek sound chip. I need to separate the video and audio stream as I am running 1920x1200 and my audio receiver is having trouble passing the video signal at this resolution. I need a way to pass video directly to my three monitors (yes I run eyefinity occasionally) and audio to my receiver. I am never going back to analogue audio and think the HDMI audio is superior after subjective listening.....

Thanks,
Doug

Well you could always purchase a dedicated audio card. Either internal, or external.
I know there are loads of nice USB audio interfaces. I'm sure there are a few firewire also.

It has been disappointing to me to see sound cards take a massive decline in recent years... They used to be a huge thing, now everyone just uses on-board... kind of sucks...

Maybe we'll see a nice resurgence soon with a new wave of digital formats/connectivity.

well, because a good external DAC is now deemed better (apparently) than an internal sound card?

So I have the on board realtek and the HDMI from the ATI video cards. I think the HDMI is actually better than the onboard sound card even if I optical digitally connect the on-board sound, says a lot about HDMI audio and ATI's HDMI audio I guess.....putting another sound board is not what I want to do and its not that the realtek is bad it's just the HDMI is better.
I think I will try a HDMI splitter...

Back