HDMI/Audio support for HTPCs

RagingSamster

2[H]4U
I have an awesome Onkyo 7.1 system - with my bluray player it is pure surround awesomeness. I hook up my PC and I am limited to crappy stereo sound ran through a headphone jack to RCA converters.

I want to play BF3 other games and hear directional sound. Is there a soundcard that encorporates it's signal and video into HDMI? My system is perfect except for this one glitch.

I use my GPU ATI Radeon 5870 that transfers Audio and Video over HDMI. And I do not need a sound card for that. Works with BF3 as well.

Any card should do this. Some may require sdpif jumper. Make sure you change sound settings to hdmi if Windows does not do it automatically.

I wouldn't say any card will do 7.1 bit streaming, I think that the Radeon 4000, 5000 and 6000 series will, and I believe that the Geforce 2xx series requires the spdif jumper (not bit streaming but 5.1), where the 400/500 series has a built in realtek chip. You might also need the correct dvi--> hdmi adapter to make it all work correctly assuming you do not have hdmi out on your videocard. If this fails you might need correct HDMI version cable, 1.3 or 1.4 ???

Out of curiosity what video card are you using and you will need to go pc (video card)---> hdmi ---> onkyo--> monitor

The Nvidia 2xx series have a full HDMI audio interface. There is no need for any jumper, bitstreaming is supported.

I had to trade out my Onkyo Reciever for a Yamaha to support audio from my HTPC. I used three differant Video cards (ATI 4550, ATI 5450 and a Nvidia 210) all with the same problem. It constantly dropped from 7.1 to sterio. Most of the time I could change it back from the Windows Audio Control but other times it'd be a fight. Have to uninstall/reinstall drivers, turn off the TV then turn off the reciever then power back up in reverse order. I worked with Onkyo on it for a while but in the end they were no help as the HTPC crowd isn't large enough for them to focus resources on testing for.

I have a HIS 6850 with DVI out, it says it's HDMI1.4 compatible... All I have is onboard sound though, I may have to invest in a sound card.

ZOMG! RTFM you dork - it has a frigging HDMI out and also routs 7.1 audio through it by default SHEESH! OK, Monoprice here I come!

Back