HDMI cables

l3ender

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking to get an HDMI cable for my HTPC, but I'm not quite sure on some stuff...specifically, the different versions.

Is the 1.3a certified worth the extra money? Also, what's the difference between this cable and this cable? Why such a big price difference?

Thanks for the help.

One is a 22AWG and one is a 24AWG... that should tell you the price difference right there.

The 1.3a certified cable probably won't make a difference. I'm using their 35ft 24AWG cable in my theater, and it has done everything 1080p I've thrown at it just fine.

I should have read more on the gauge. It's been awhile since Electronics [class], as I thought higher == better. :S

Sounds good. Thanks for the input.

ALL HDMI cables are the same, pay the least amount of money for what your needs call for. the gauge of a wire only matters when you are talking about load or current, that the wire can handle.

if you search this forum there was good discussion on HDMI cables a little while ago.

Mac[X-D];1032779634 said:
ALL HDMI cables are the same, pay the least amount of money for what your needs call for. the gauge of a wire only matters when you are talking about load or current, that the wire can handle.

if you search this forum there was good discussion on HDMI cables a little while ago.
lol, not quite.. When you're running it over 20 feet, quality starts to matter. Also, "all HDMI cables are the same" is wrong. Some fail simple tests right from the get go.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/long-hdmi-cable-bench-tests

It's when people start to talk about colours being brighter or more vibrant, or sound deeper, or a better bouquet of flowers, that I write off cables they're reviewing. It's a digital bitstream, it either gets through or it doesn't. What they should be testing for is hard numbers for reliability, not subjective quality of a picture or sound.

I'm still bitter over buying a music mag in the hopes of a good discussion on amplifier or speaker design, only to find them praising every single product with language belonging more in a wine magazine.

It's a digital bitstream, it either gets through or it doesn't.
Obviously... and that's where the problem with cheap cables is. Once part of the signal is lost, it's gone. Please don't misinform people like the whole picture is either working or it's not. That's simply not true.

Back