hdmi to VGA adapters?

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
I found the HDFURY gamer. Anyone have experience with this? My Sony KDL32V200 (XBR1 in the US I believe) have awful HDMI ports it seems. I would want an adapter that doesn´t degrade the signal.

The HDFury seems to get good reviews; and it's not exactly cheap (like "vgabox" cheap), so it probably has a decent chip to do the signal conversion. It's a very niche market - mostly for those trying to get around stupid HDCP limitations and such.

What's your issue with straight HDMI-HDMI on the Sony? I have experience with a similar model and have no PC specific or console issues.

HDFury works much, much better than a VGA box in my experience.

I have an original HDFury I used to connect my PS3 to a Soyo DYLM24D6 monitor with no HDCP support a while back. I still use it occasionally with my Planar to connect the PS3 to VGA in, so I can switch between the PS3 and PC without having to buy a DVI / HDMI switch or physically disconnect and reconnect them.

The original models had some issues (source and display dependent) with centering things properly, and sometimes with gamma issues, though as I understand these problems have been resolved with newer models. I could never get the PS3 to display on the Soyo at 1080P, only 720P. 1080P would get stretched out, for lack of a better term, and you couldn't see a large portion of the output. 720P worked perfectly. I suspect this was the fault of the Soyo, however, as that display is known to have some serious EDID related issues. If the EDID in a display is bad the HDFury will send a signal based on it and it may not work. Apart from this I had no problems, but again, it depends on the source and display used.

Note that the "Gamer Edition" is just a sealed cable design with the original HDFury in line, so if your display has these problems you will need a newer version (HDFury2 or HDFury3). These are much more expensive, $150+. Also note that if you're paying more than ~$50 for the Gamer Edition you are probably better off buying the HDFury "blue" edition from Monoprice and just using your own cables / getting cheap cables there. A DVI to HDMI cable is dirt cheap anymore, and anyone on these forums probably has a few VGA cables laying around in a drawer somewhere. I'd probably get the "blue" edition anyway, since if the cables on the gamer edition fail fixing it would be a pain in the ass.

Hopefully the wall of text was helpful.

EDIT: I'd suggest looking around on AVSForum or somewhere to see if someone can confirm your TV will play nice with the HDFury and vice-versa before you drop the cash for one. If it turns out you're going to need the various attachments to re-center and up gamma, etc, you're probably better off just paying more for a HDFury2 and avoiding all the bullshit / getting the same result automated.

Last edited:
The HDFury seems to get good reviews; and it's not exactly cheap (like "vgabox" cheap), so it probably has a decent chip to do the signal conversion. It's a very niche market - mostly for those trying to get around stupid HDCP limitations and such.

What's your issue with straight HDMI-HDMI on the Sony? I have experience with a similar model and have no PC specific or console issues.

The issue I got is that I get superior image quality in every regard using the VGA output.

I would like a serious comparison on a solid video card and TV using VGA and then this adapter. I suppose there is video cards now that have both hdmi and DVI?

AVS forum nobody there uses one for my purposes. It´s only to be able to use the PS 3 on crappy PC monitors in general. The other just buy a new tv I believe ;)

If the TV supports PC input via VGA without a lot of screwing around like having to set very specific horizontal and vertical refresh rates, front and back porch, etc via PowerStrip, you will probably be fine with a HDFury. Obviously no promises, however. Get it from somewhere with a good return policy and see for yourself if no one else is using it as you like. I don't think you're going to find the review you're looking for, since someone would have to be using the exact same TV and source you intend for it to be useful to you.

If the TV supports PC input via VGA without a lot of screwing around like having to set very specific horizontal and vertical refresh rates, front and back porch, etc via PowerStrip, you will probably be fine with a HDFury. Obviously no promises, however. Get it from somewhere with a good return policy and see for yourself if no one else is using it as you like. I don't think you're going to find the review you're looking for, since someone would have to be using the exact same TV and source you intend for it to be useful to you.

The same TV doesn´t matter. since the comparison would be on the VGA output versus the HDfury output. Unless the gamer has a specific issue with the tv in question.

So if anyone got this a dvd player and video card or even better a video card with both HDMI and VGA I would be very interested in the findings.

I will hunt for a company with solid return policy in the meanwhile. btw there is no delay in the signal using the gamer? Another reason I would want to use my VGA port is much less input lag and ghosting.

I don´t think Sony really new how to handle the new HDMI standard when they released their first generation Bravias :p

No noticeable lag for me when using the HDFury as opposed to a "straight-through" connection via DVI or something.

No noticeable lag for me when using the HDFury as opposed to a "straight-through" connection via DVI or something.

Thanks. Have you been able to compare it to the VGA output on your PC as well? Alt how well does it stack up to your DVI output. I know many monitors have better DVI then VGA ports though.

Back