HDTV Problems, need help.

Devnull

[H]F Junkie
I've posted this in some other places, but I'm really getting desperate for any ideas on my situation.

Back in December a purchased a refurb Philips 30PW8420/37B(30" CRT HDTV) from their online store. Since I got the TV I've had problems with the aspect ratio. The picture is stretched vertically, and it seems to be some kind of a geometry problem. It only comes with a 90 day warranty so I need to get this sorted out quickly.

A while back I called Philips and they gave me the number for two service centers. One of them had gone out of business and the other one looked OK on the BBB so I went with them. I waited a few weeks until they could come out and look at the TV. The tech who came out this Tuesday firstly didn't speak hardly any English and had trouble understanding my description of the problem. He also did not bring any kind of service remote or geometry remote to mess with it, even though that was the problem mentioned in their notes.

He didn't even try to question that were was a problem with the TV, or mess with the menu/settings at all and said that it looked like there was a problem with the geometry and then went and made a phone call. He came back after like 10 minutes and told me that I either needed to let them take it into the shop for 2-3 days and that I would have it back by the end of the week, or that I would have to wait one week for him to return with the remote. I let him take the TV and sent along a note describing all my issues with the TV, since his English was very poor.

Fast forward to today, I call the TV place(who currently has my TV) and they tell me it will be 2-3 weeks before they will even look at it at all and it will be longer if they need parts. I tell them that is unacceptable and I want to speak to their supervisor, but he was apparently not in today. So I called Philips and they give me two other authorized service centers. One tells me that they it would probably take them 5-10 days if I were to bring my TV to them, the other says atleast a couple weeks.

I don't have a TV to watch and 2-3 weeks is just way too much for me, especially since I have a 4 day weekend and a stack of unwatched DVDs. At this point I feel like picking up the TV tomorrow morning and bringing it home, and messing with the geometry in the service menu. I however have no idea what any of the values in there mean or how I could fix the geometry. I've searched for information on the geometry settings on this particular TV, but haven't had much luck other than finding a service menu code.

I could use some advice here on what I should do and how to adjust the geometry myself if I should decide to go that route. My warranty is only good for another couple weeks so I need to do something fast. Appreciate any ideas. Thanks

You might want to go to www.avsforum.com to get help. That site is dedicated to HDTV.

If you want to mess with the settings, remember to write down the values, since you can hose your set. If you're going to adjust your settings, you might want to get a calibration dvd such as AVIA.

Good luck.

Back