HDTV-WONDER: Crop black bars from 4:3 content on 16:9 channel

jack_r

Weaksauce
Hi... hopefully someone here can help me out.

Older 4:3 aspect ratio TV shows are often broacast with vertical black (or grey) bars to the left and right on 720p or 1080i (widescreen) channels. If I record these shows using my ATI HDTV Wonder (and Multimedia Center), it records the black bars as well giving me a wide-screen file (even if I choose the crop option in the menus). When I burn this to DVD and go watch it on my older 4:3 aspect ratio TV it gets letter-boxed (more black bars, added to top and bottom) and I end up watching 4:3 content with thick black bars on all sides. I could use the zoom function of my TV to make the picture fill the screen but that results in a lower quality picture.

A more attractive solution would be to crop the black bars from the sides of the 720p or 1080i stream in a manner which preserves the quality of the original content and leaves a 4:3 apect ratio file. This could be done as a re-processing (after the video has be captured), or more ideally, done at the time of capture.

So far I have only found ways to do this which severely degrade the quality of the video (such as zooming the video in Adobe Premiere Elements). My goal is to make DVD's similar to the 4:3 fulscreen DVD's that you buy at the store. Any help that you can give would be appreciated.
-Jack

Why not use a video editor and crop the video cutting out the black bars? Isn't there a setting with your app to preserve aspect ratios? Are you using the bundled ATI junk?

Good idea... I have Abobe Premiere Elements 2, Nero 7, Intervideo Suite, VirtualDub, TMPEG, and FLASKMPEG. Give me a good recipe and I'll try it. VirtualDub is the only program that I'm good with, it does exactly what I want, but I can't output MPEG-2... which means encoding at the time of capture, cropping in Virtualdub, encoding to some AVI format, then re-encoding in another application back to MPEG-2... by the time that's done either the video won't look good or I'll have grey hair.

Supprisingly, the Adobe Premier Elements doesn't have good cropping

Is virtualdub-mod any good? It has been a couple years since their latest version update.

Back