Headphones, gaming and surround? How's it work? Any recommendations under 100$?

daedal

Gawd
So I've been itching to dump my gaudy, space-consuming speakers for a pair of headphones, but since these would mainly be used for gaming purposes, I'd like to retain surround sound (or at least, something close to it).

Now here's what I don't understand, logically and physically, headsets can't be in surround so I figure that this is virtualized. If I already have a fairly decent sound card (Xonar DX), does that means I can get any pair of non-USB headphones and set virtual surround in my control panel? Would they only have a single 3.5mm connector, or multiple ones like you see on surround speakers?

Any recommendations around or below 100$? Note that I shave my head and have a piercing on the top of the left ear, so it'd have to be something pretty comfortable so my piercing doesn't jab me for hours on end.

Thanks!

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 is probably your best bet. ~$105 on Amazon now.

They have a really big sound stage and are comfortable for longer periods of time (which is generally what makes a "gaming" headphone). The ear cups are some of the biggest around, so if anything isn't going to bother your piercing too much, this would be the one. They are also 32 ohm, so should be driven decently directly from a soundcard without a headphone amp.

The Xonar DX uses Dolby Headphone. It's more or less some HRTS (Head-Related Transfer Functions) used to downmix a discrete surround signal (or even a stereo source tossed through a matrix decoder like Dolby ProLogic to upmix to 5.1/7.1) while retaining some positional information/timing. There's a decent old technical primer article here: http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/tech/aureal1_tech.htm

In terms of headphone specifically for Dolby Headphone, there are some reviews here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad...hone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

Personally, I think it sounds pretty bad most of the time. But it does sound 3D.

There are some headphones with multiple drivers for 'real' surround sound, but I have yet to hear of one that doesn't sound terrible.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Audio Technica ATH-AD700 is probably your best bet. ~$105 on Amazon now.

They have a really big sound stage and are comfortable for longer periods of time (which is generally what makes a "gaming" headphone). The ear cups are some of the biggest around, so if anything isn't going to bother your piercing too much, this would be the one. They are also 32 ohm, so should be driven decently directly from a soundcard without a headphone amp.

The Xonar DX uses Dolby Headphone. It's more or less some HRTS (Head-Related Transfer Functions) used to downmix a discrete surround signal (or even a stereo source tossed through a matrix decoder like Dolby ProLogic to upmix to 5.1/7.1) while retaining some positional information/timing. There's a decent old technical primer article here: http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/tech/aureal1_tech.htm

In terms of headphone specifically for Dolby Headphone, there are some reviews here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad...hone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

Personally, I think it sounds pretty bad most of the time. But it does sound 3D.

There are some headphones with multiple drivers for 'real' surround sound, but I have yet to hear of one that doesn't sound terrible.

I am not (by any definition of the word) an audiophile, so some of those terms have whooshed right above me. Are you saying that I should not look for anything in particular in a set of headphones regarding "Dolby" or "Surround"?

As for the set you've linked, I should have mentioned that I'm in Canada, where the Amazon.ca price is around 200$ - more than my budget would allow, unfortunately.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just looked at amazon.ca. There is nothing there worth buying for the $ imo. Overpriced to say the least.

As an alternative to the ad700. Which I believe are no longer the bang for the buck gaming headphones anyway. Their prices have risen sharply lately and are CERTAINLY not worth $200.

Under $100 look to:

Fostex T50Rp, Samson SR850, Superlux HD668b,

I just looked at amazon.ca. There is nothing there worth buying for the $ imo. Overpriced to say the least.

As an alternative to the ad700. Which I believe are no longer the bang for the buck gaming headphones anyway. Their prices have risen sharply lately and are CERTAINLY not worth $200.

Under $100 look to:

Fostex T50Rp, Samson SR850, Superlux HD668b,

Oye, Amazon in Canada is pretty shoddy at best. It's really only handy if you're looking for anything particularly hard to find and are ready to shell out some big bucks for it.

I'll definitely look into the models you've listed - thanks!
[EDIT] Wow, good-looking headphones for 70$ - exactly what I was looking for.`

If you don't care about 'audiophile' sound, some Koss KSC75 are still my favorite cheap headphone for ~$15 USD. Some people find the around-the-ear clips uncomfortable, but I find them great (even with glasses). They are my go-to beater 'phones for the office and as a gift to the non-headphone inclined.

The have a more 'conventional' (but weird looking in its own right) headband version, Koss PortaPro for ~$35 USD.

Technically speaking, what you're looking for is a headphone described as at least somewhat "wide" sounding. Otherwise the Dolby software has nowhere to "put" the surround sound.

The review I linked noted the KSC75 worked well with Dolby Headphone.

Back