Headphones that go around the whole ear?

3DChipset

Gawd
Anyone know of good quality headphones that the structure of it goes around the ear so your ear doesn't get any pressure from wearing the headphones? I'm interested in trying a pair out to see how well they work.

Anyone have experience with such headphones?

Interesting... Looks like your whole ear would fit within the empty space withinthe cushioning section of the headphone. Thanks for the link. I'm hoping to find something a little larger to completely encase the ear.

Interesting... Looks like your whole ear would fit within the empty space withinthe cushioning section of the headphone. Thanks for the link. I'm hoping to find something a little larger to completely encase the ear.

you want a circumaural set of headphones, most of AT's cans fulfill this requirement, they won't be riding on your ears, other options would include Sennheiser, Denon, AKG, Bose, Beyerdynamic, or Sony, all of which make around-ear models (and thats the only requirement I'm looking at, based on your post)

What's your budget anyway?

I use Audio Technica ATH AD-900s, which are like wearing pillows on my ears. The ATH AD-700s are cheaper. The best bet for you is to go try out headphones at an audio store. Grados sit on your ear so I would stay away from those if you want ones that encase your ear.

Beyers are without a doubt the most comfortable circumaural headphones I've had the pleasure of listening to. Talk about feeling like you're wearing pillows! AKGs weren't bad. Sennheiser 580/555/595s were fairly comfy but not as much as the Beyers. Never tried the Audio Technicas but they seem to be well liked by most.

For me the AudioTechnica ATH-900 was the most comfortable headphone out there. I have a 7 3/8 inch cap size so I hope that helps. Currently I am using my Beyer Dynamics DT-770 (newer model) as my default headphone. These also cover my large ears without touching them directly. I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD650 and HD580s that also do not touch the ear directly. They are similarly as comfortable as the Beyers, but the Audio Technica headphones seem to have the largest ear cavity. They also have some of the best staging.

The Audio Technica, theBeyer Dynamics, and the Sennheisers I have used will fit in your requirements.

I've a pair of Sennheiser HD-595's that I love dearly. They fit all the way around my ear with no pressure on them at all.

I'm not sure what your quality standards are, or your price budget, but these should fall in the upper middle end of each. Of course my headphone experience is limited by comparison.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
a buddy of mine just picked up some AKG K 271 MK II headphones.

I had the opportunity to try them and they were pretty comfortable IMO and they sounded good - although I'm not really an audiophile with the finest ear for quality.

Great info guys. Yeah, I guess I should of said a budget in the main post. I would say no more then $200.00 max

I find the ATH-AD700 to be more comfortable than the ATH-A900. Cheaper too.

Back