Headset w/ particular concern in mind

Zick

Gawd
Is there any feature I should be looking for in a headset that will total silence the mic unless I am talking?

Problem I have with my current headset is that with the mic turned on, there is background I believe it's picking up that produces a very quiet static type noise that after about 30 minutes my ears start to hurt unless I leave the mic turned off. It's really annoying to keep turning the mic on and off all the time.

Anyone have a recommendation for some under $100 that will auto mute or not pickup the background sounds?

Logitech produces not bad headsets, and the they have noise reduction with it so others usually dont hear anything unless you talk

In almost every game, you must hit a button to activate the microphone so you cant just talk and it will pick it up.

The problem is not others hearing the sound but I can hear the background sounds when I'm not talking.

It seems to me this isn't as much of a headset feature as it would be a software one. I know I've used mics in conjunction with software that didn't recognize anything (it was off) below a certain level.

I can't offer what software though, sorry.

I know that in VIsta if you look under advanced options you can mute your own mic, that way you will not hear yourself talk in your headset, I have had simular issue.

I previously had Antec Lansing Headset that got disontinued, best headset ever!!!! I currently own Logitec Gaming Headset which is good, but I would still go with Antec Lansing over it.

Target used to carry these great Antec's for $30, can't find them anywhere.

Something is wrong. If your mic is not open (voice activated or holding down the press to talk button) you shouldn't hear anything coming from your mic.

What software are you using in game (Vent or TS)?

As for best experience, I like the Sennheiser PC 160 (no 161).

If your hearing everything going on in the mic you might need to mute the wav input or something like in your audio options. I know if I dont mute mine everyone will hear what I hear when I try to speak.

Just mute your microphone input on your volume control. Something like this :

help2.jpg

On second thought, maybe that's not the problem and maybe you've done it already, but try it if you haven't.

Something is wrong. If your mic is not open (voice activated or holding down the press to talk button) you shouldn't hear anything coming from your mic.

What software are you using in game (Vent or TS)?

As for best experience, I like the Sennheiser PC 160 (no 161).

Not using any special software (at least that I know of). Sorry what is Vent & TS?

If your hearing everything going on in the mic you might need to mute the wav input or something like in your audio options. I know if I dont mute mine everyone will hear what I hear when I try to speak.

I will have to give this a try, thanks.

Not using any special software (at least that I know of). Sorry what is Vent & TS?

I will have to give this a try, thanks.

Those are Voice chat softwares. They let you and your friends communicate by joining a server and then joining some sort of room. Vent is better than TS IMO, quality wise at least.

Don't think I use either. The only game I'm using online right now is TF2.

I went headset shopping this past weekend, and of all the ones I saw at Fry's, nearly every single one had a switch in-line that could mute the mic. Most of them were under $40.

Wow guys. This is a Windows issue. Go into Advanced Audio controls (just double click the speaker icon in your tool tray) and mute the microphone volume. You should not be hearing yourself talk.

Also, avoid the Logitech headsets, they're really, really bad for the money. One poster recommended the Sennheiser PC160...I second that. They have some really great headsets, both comfort and quality wise. Myself, I will likely be spending a few hundred bucks on that new Beyerdynamics headset...though I think it might cost me 3 or 4 bones.

Here it is:

http://shop.beyerdynamic.de/oxid.ph...b9/cl/details/anid/df446f6d0ece66f14.88308869

Waiting for them to distribute it outside their online shop.

I went headset shopping this past weekend, and of all the ones I saw at Fry's, nearly every single one had a switch in-line that could mute the mic. Most of them were under $40.

This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. If I use the inline mute button, I can't talk in the game. It's a pain to keep switching the mic on and off.

Wow guys. This is a Windows issue. Go into Advanced Audio controls (just double click the speaker icon in your tool tray) and mute the microphone volume. You should not be hearing yourself talk.

And this won't prevent me from being able to talk in TF2 when I press the voice key and speak?

I know that in VIsta if you look under advanced options you can mute your own mic, that way you will not hear yourself talk in your headset, I have had simular issue.

I previously had Antec Lansing Headset that got disontinued, best headset ever!!!! I currently own Logitec Gaming Headset which is good, but I would still go with Antec Lansing over it.

Target used to carry these great Antec's for $30, can't find them anywhere.

I think you mean Altec Lansing right? :p

And this won't prevent me from being able to talk in TF2 when I press the voice key and speak?

>_< No, it should not prevent you from talking in game. It just mutes the output of it on your own speakers.

For example. I have a Media Center that pipes audio to the LINE-IN on my main computer, so I can listen to the TV (or whatever I'm watching on my media center) with the headset that is connected to my main computer. If I go in and MUTE the LINE-IN, all it does is disables that input from being output on my speakers/headphones. It is still receiving the audio input from the other computer, it simply does not play it. Same thing with your mic. Your computer will receive the input from it regardless if it is muted or not. Un-muting it simply makes you hear what it is receiving whereas muting it just makes it so you can't hear what it picks up.

I would have figured someone else would have answered this long ago...

I would have figured someone else would have answered this long ago...

Many of us did, I even posted a picture of what the settings might look like

This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. If I use the inline mute button, I can't talk in the game. It's a pain to keep switching the mic on and off.

No, that's your recording volume settings, which are a whole different menu. If you double click on your speaker that is your audio playback volume settings. Check the mute next to the microphone option and try that. If the microphone option isn't there go to options, then properties and check the microphone box.

,,,One poster recommended the Sennheiser PC160...I second that. They have some really great headsets, both comfort and quality wise. Myself, I will likely be spending a few hundred bucks on that new Beyerdynamics headset...though I think it might cost me 3 or 4 bones.

Here it is:

http://shop.beyerdynamic.de/oxid.ph...b9/cl/details/anid/df446f6d0ece66f14.88308869,.
Those look like pure sweetness. I wonder if the will sound mor elike the DT 880s or the DT 770s. The only downside I would see as they are are closed phones and Bery are none for having very good isolation, it will make talking an alien experience.

I wonder what the Headzone gaming version of those cans sounds like link

Aside from coming costing 5 times as much.:eek:

Awesome work guys, that worked perfectly.

One weird thing though, when I opened the volume properties the Line In was already muted but I could still hear the noise. I un-muted it and then re-muted it and now it works perfect!

Thanks again. :)

Back