Heatercore or BIX II...something has to go!

OK here is the low down guys. I now have a heatercore from a 77bonny and a shroud made by --weapon. Its was a lot bigger than I had originally thought to be and really took up the top side of my case. I only have about a 1/2 inch space between he bottom of the rad and the PSU with the fans and shroud attached. I was thinking of ditching it and going with a dual 120mm black ice extreme which is smaller and would give me a bit more elbow room for a top side mount..

I am currently using a Lian LI PC-75..

What do you all think ditch the HC or put up with the headache is worth it?

Instead of a BIX2, look into a BIP2. They are almost half as thick and do not require super powerful fans to cool it off efficiently. Its a shame that the Bonny HC is too big for ya. Perhaps you could mount the bonny HC on the top of the case with the shroud and fans on the inside? That would give you some extra spacing for proper air flow. Just tryin to help you out. :)

Hey thanks Auto!

I thought about that but I wanted to keep everything internal. It still may be an option if i decide to stay with the HC.

Now what is the BIP2?? Black Ice Pro you mean?? and where can I take a looksie?

I know this is a step back in perfromance and all but how much of a step back is this versus staying with the HC??

So what exactly is the problem? You got one of the biggest cases around (I have one sitting next to my desk). You have 1/2" between the PSU and the assembled rad unit, right? I'm confused as to what the problem is? Airflow, looks, ???

Hey just noticed something. If they would make that box another 6" higher I could use two of them to be the supports for my glass table top. :D

Well the heatercore has more surface area for heat to dissipate from than the BIP2, but the thickness of the heatercore also create air resistance. The same is true with the BIX radiators. The thicker the radiator, the more powerful of fan is needed to overcome the air resistance through the fins. The difference between a Bonny HC and a BIP2 will be noticable, but only by a few degrees. I'm using DangerDen's Dual-120 heatercore with a pair of Evercool aluminum 120mm fans on it and they run at the medium setting on my fan controller and everything cools just fine. If I turn the fans all the way up, they are a little noisier and it does knock my temps down by a few degrees. Perhaps if you give us an idea on what components you are cooling and what your other watercooling equipment is, we can give you a more educated answer to your question. For most people who watercool a CPU and a single video card, the BIP2 with a pair of Panasonic fans is really all you need.

IRT Top Nurse

Due to the fact that the heatercore is so thick including the shroud that it limiting the clearance of my CD-roms and PSU. It does clear the PSU but i can only mount it the barbs nearest to my CD-Rom and with the addition of the power cables and IDE cables its going to be tight and hard to get a clean appearance. I can get this thing to work I am just seeking other options...

IRT Autobot

Currently running a TDX (cpu) and Maze4 chipset block 1/2 inch to cool
A64 3200 Venice
Asus A8NE

Hmm, isn't the side panel of most cases metal up near the top? It seems hard to be able to see what's up near your first 5 1/4" bay. Do you have empty bays lower down that you can put everything in?

Consider it a cable management challenge. :p If you bought a HC instead of Thermochill or BIX in the first place, I wouldn't expect you to have an unlimited budget. Rather than spend extra money I'd just have fun making it work.

You will have no problems cooling those two things with either the HC or the BIP imho. Probably no prob even with HC + medium fans (medium Panasonic-Panaflos at least).

SignalSoldier said:
Due to the fact that the heatercore is so think including the shroud that it limiting the clearance of my CD-roms and PSU. It does clear the PSU but i can only mount it the barbs nearest to my CD-Rom and with the addition of the power cables and IDE cables its going to be tight and hard to get a clean appearance. I can get this thing to work I am just seeking other options.

Well having a heater core isn't about having a clean appearance IMHO so just get a BI Extreme, or a Thermochill rad and be happy :)

Back