hell froze over! (RIP one button mouse)

Selecter said:
Actually, I'd say that all other mice are now behind. That scrolling wheel built in is the schizdazzle razzle.

IBM was making mice with TrackPoints in them (the "eraser" controller") for 4-way scrolling like 8 years ago. So once again, Apple is just now catching up.

bb

br0adband said:
IBM was making mice with TrackPoints in them (the "eraser" controller") for 4-way scrolling like 8 years ago. So once again, Apple is just now catching up.

bb

Yes, however at least it does not take them 5 years to produce a shitty upgraded version of an OS they allready have out. (windows) after copying the work other companies have put into their OS.

I always liked the single button mouse that came with my Mac. I used the arrows to scroll, and key commands to do any right click functions. I refuse to attach anything to this computer that was made for a PC before thought of for the Mac. I only have Apple monitors, mice, perif's, etc.

br0adband said:

bb

the eraser controller is not the same as a trackball.

Hehe, my dads a big maccer, and he was always bashing >1 button mice, "You don't need more than one button, it just works this way!"

Then I come home one day and he's like, "Oh wow, have you seen the new Mighty Mouse? Apple's done it again!"

Ahh... he loves throwing around that "it just works" line.

EDIT: lolz, just thought of a funny story. Now by no means do I dislike Macs, I just get annoyed with people who think Apple can do no wrong, like my dad, and tease them a lot. So we were having a Mac/PC discussion over dinner, and he decided to say "it just works," so I came out with, "Yep... that's about all it does too... it just works, and you can't do anything fun on it." Even he found that funny :)

..STFU, it was a funny story if you were there :D :p ;)

Yes, however at least it does not take them 5 years to produce a shitty upgraded version of an OS they already have out. (windows) after copying the work other companies have put into their OS.

OOh OOh a chance to correct and provide the truth. IBM, who br0adband was referencing, DID NOT create windows, sorry. Their OS was OS/2. Windows is produced by Microsoft who, follow me here, recently got into the mouse game but wasn't building mice back then. Just keeping things straight here.

Heck IBM doesn't even make consumer boxes for retail shelves any more, or products really for that matter. IBM Lappys still float around here and there but are typically more of a professional market type product (though I loved me). and hell, IBM isn't even American any more :D. What a difference five years makes ehh?

-esr

esr2 said:
OOh OOh a chance to correct and provide the truth. IBM, who br0adband was referencing, DID NOT create windows, sorry. Their OS was OS/2. Windows is produced by Microsoft who,

IBM marketed OS/2, but it was developed jointly between Microsoft and IBM.

esr2 said:
OOh OOh a chance to correct and provide the truth. IBM, who br0adband was referencing, DID NOT create windows, sorry. Their OS was OS/2. Windows is produced by Microsoft who, follow me here, recently got into the mouse game but wasn't building mice back then. Just keeping things straight here.

Heck IBM doesn't even make consumer boxes for retail shelves any more, or products really for that matter. IBM Lappys still float around here and there but are typically more of a professional market type product (though I loved me). and hell, IBM isn't even American any more :D. What a difference five years makes ehh?

-esr

I knew he was talking about IBM. But I take every chance I can to bash those asshats up in Redmond.

mikeblas said:
IBM marketed OS/2, but it was developed jointly between Microsoft and IBM.

Only up until Cutter (v1.3)

After that Microsoft departed, and revealed windows NT.

From then on it was developed by IBM.

R.I.P. one of the greatest PC Operating systems (I still have Merlin installed on my laptop)

Pigs must be flying, because Apple has finally released a mouse with more than one button.

Quoted For Truth.

Hey, it's a first step. Now that PC users have like 5-10 buttons, Apple goes to 4. But I wouldn't trust myself to reliable press the fourth button since it requires the first and second being pressed at the same time. What if you want to quickly press the second then first buttons? Would it mess up? Could have bad consequences in a game or on a secure page that expires if you accidentaly hit back (the 4th button is by default back right? It said that in the article I think).

The Logitech MX518, a much superior mouse in many ways, is less than $50. The Mighty Mouse is pretty expensive. :-P Although, I admit, I'm not involved very heavily (alright, at all) in the Apple mouse market. So maybe they are all expensive.

hmm..

I think that there are 100 mice better then the new mac one though..

at least by the looks and features.

looks and features are all fine and dandy, but they don't really count for much if you can't use them :) Before you go speculating about the mouse, you should take a trip to your local apple store or compusa and try it. Then you'll have some concrete reasons to knock it :D

i havent bought one of these birds yet, i probably will tho, mainly because im an apple !!!!!! and think they can do no wrong. any other regulars pick one of these up yet?

I finally got my Mighty Mouse last night "I ordered a few hours after it went on sale"

I have always liked the shape and looks of the Apple Pro Mouse but didnt use one because I can't deal without a scroll wheel for web pages and when I play games I need the right click.

I was a little worried that I would have a hard time adjusting to it since I've been using a Logitech MX700, but I took to it with ease. It probably does help that Ive been using the original Pro Mouse on my Mac at work,as it feels real similar to using the Apple one button mouse.

I love the scroll ball It's really sweet. I also like being able to use expose by squeezing the side buttons.

My only complaint is that there isn't a option to program keystrokes actions to the buttons.It would be nice if I could set the scroll ball to go back in my web pages when I press it down. hopefully future software revisions will offer this option.

Human_Tornado said:
I finally got my Mighty Mouse last night "I ordered a few hours after it went on sale"

I have always liked the shape and looks of the Apple Pro Mouse but didnt use one because I can't deal without a scroll wheel for web pages and when I play games I need the right click.

I was a little worried that I would have a hard time adjusting to it since I've been using a Logitech MX700, but I took to it with ease. It probably does help that Ive been using the original Pro Mouse on my Mac at work,as it feels real similar to using the Apple one button mouse.

I love the scroll ball It's really sweet. I also like being able to use expose by squeezing the side buttons.

My only complaint is that there isn't a option to program keystrokes actions to the buttons.It would be nice if I could set the scroll ball to go back in my web pages when I press it down. hopefully future software revisions will offer this option.

I saw a mention of software called "street mouse" that was supposed to allow you to program the settings of the mighty mouse.

Orc

How come they didnt come out with a blue tooth version of this mouse? :confused: I dont want to use a corded mouse with my powerbook.

OK, so I got mine.

I definitely like the way the mouse works, it's pretty nice. It takes a little getting used to, i'm not sure how I feel yet about the side buttons.

My one problem is that I am not getting the "Mighty Mouse" preference pane at all.

Any one know whats up with that?

I've connected it directly, through a usb hub, into the pro keyboard, into my kvm, no go.

reboot, restarted and all that.

(haven't zapped the pram yet, but I will give that a go once my FCP renders are done)

illgiveumorality said:
It should be in your regular keyboard & mouse section in system preferences

yeah i just get the regular pref pane no matter what.

I find it funny that there is cause for celebration that apple is finally getting something that the pc world has had for.. oh.. 15+ years?

Malogato said:
I find it funny that there is cause for celebration that apple is finally getting something that the pc world has had for.. oh.. 15+ years?

Yeah that would be something to celebrate about...the mac world finally getting it? duh :eek:

Now I just looked at one at the apple store and didn't expect there to still be a click like the regular mouse, just for it to be touch sensitive.

Meaning, the real concept is the mouse detects which finger pushes down the one big button. I didn't really find it unusual to use, but like everyone is saying the horizontal scroll is very slow in comparison.

I hate the squeeze buttons. Period. Too much effort, not comfortable, can't be used as separate buttons=dumb in my opinion.

Anyway, I still plan on getting one, but I do notice little glitches with it.
example: In garageband you can scroll left and right, but not while playing; it will not disengage centering to the cursor thing

Either I read it wrong, or the page I first saw had it wrong. The shareware package that supports the mighty mouse is "Steer Mouse". Their url is:<http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/index.html>. The shareware fee is $20, and I have not tried it as I am waiting to see if there will be a bluetooth version of the new mouse. I think that the latest version of usb overdrive can modify some of the functions as well.

Orc

Back