Hell has frozen over. Thunderbolt getting official ICS

Holy shit, I have been waiting for this for some time now. Any idea when it will be pushed to users?

Holy shit, I have been waiting for this for some time now. Any idea when it will be pushed to users?

Today or Monday I'm guessing (not the weekend due to support calls etc etc)

ROMs and such should come fairly quickly, though Verizon could take it's sweet ass time and fully wait out the 90 days to release the full source. :mad:

I was on record as saying that this would never happen. Glad that I was wrong. Still, many have upgraded already. Verizon really screwed this one up.

I think some exec at Verizon just stepped out of a time machine and approved these 2 updates.

Yeah it figures they would do this THE VERY FUCKING DAY I UPGRADE! Had my T-bolt 2 years and loved it but the touch screen started crapping out so I just today bought a Note 2 and of course that's the very day they finally bring out ICS. Jeez.

now if only they would do the same for the incredible 2.....

Yeah, no reason it shouldn't get it since the Inc 2 is the same damn thing as the Thunderbold, just without LTE (therefor much smaller and has much better battery life). Give it prolly another year or so though before they authorize the OTA :p.

I am beginning to wonder if this announcement is real. Talked to my friend at Verizon and she said she didn't know anything about it. Not surprisingly no update yet...

Except the people who don't upgrade their phones all the time. :rolleyes:
I wouldn't call upgrading a phone every two years "all the time"

I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon handed out numerous early upgrades to stop all the complaining

Last edited:
I wouldn't call upgrading a phone every two years "all the time"

I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon didn't hand out numerous early upgrades to stop all the complaining

That's how I got my upgrade from TBolt 5 months early. Pissed and moaned and complained about their forcing me to tiered data or buy a phone for $600+ and the fact that the TBolt has been treated like a red headed step child from the start. They gave me my GNex. :D

Its been soo long since I had my Thunderbolt, I cant actually remember when it was released. Apparently it will turn 2 in a month lol. I've had a few phones since the Thunderbolt and all I remember was that it was one of the worst experiences of my life. Can't believe it took them this long to approve the upgrade.

Its been soo long since I had my Thunderbolt, I cant actually remember when it was released. Apparently it will turn 2 in a month lol. I've had a few phones since the Thunderbolt and all I remember was that it was one of the worst experiences of my life. Can't believe it took them this long to approve the upgrade.

I think it was released in early May 2011, because it was around my B-day (May 10) and I was on the fence about upgrading from my OG Droid to it. It was supposed to launch like late April, but they had an issue with their LTE network or something and had to wait a week or two before re-launching the phone.

After seeing the reviews and forum posts about horrible battery life and stuff, I decided to pass it up. I almost got the Xperia Play too, but its total lack of internal storage (like 400 MBs usable) was too much to overlook. So I held out til the Bionic, which was disappointing with its horrible display (qHD Pentile LCD - prolly the worst on the market along with the Droid 3 and 4). So then I held out to the Galaxy S2, which didn't happen on Verizon, but by the time we found that out, we almost knew the Gnex was coming out. So I waited for the Gnex and got that and was glad I waited for it, lol. I just sold it last week to partially reimburse me for my Note 2, which is amazing in every way so far :cool:.

Last edited:
I think it was released in early May 2011, because it was around my B-day (May 10) and I was on the fence about upgrading from my OG Droid to it. It was supposed to launch like late April, but they had an issue with their LTE network or something and had to wait a week or two before re-launching the phone.

After seeing the reviews and forum posts about horrible battery life and stuff, I decided to pass it up. I almost got the Xperia Play too, but its total lack of internal storage (like 400 MBs usable) was too much to overlook. So I held out til the Bionic, which was disappointing with its horrible display (qHD Pentile LCD - prolly the worst on the market along with the Droid 3 and 4). So then I held out to the Galaxy S2, which didn't happen on Verizon, but by the time we found that out, we almost knew the Gnex was coming out. So I waited for the Gnex and got that and was glad I waited for it, lol. I just sold it last week to partially reimburse me for my Note 2, which is amazing in every way so far :cool:.

Verizon screwed the Gnex so hard. After the Tbolt, I got Bionic and got screwed hard as well, and the the Gnex was great given that you do the updates yourself. Then they gimped google wallet and I got so pissed I just let verizon. I love google wallet because I use it probably 2-3 times a day as there are NFC enabled vending machines and stores where I live. I also hated the Gnex battery life even with the extended battery. I tried the GS3 on ATT for a short while and hated the battery life yet again. I got the iPhone 5 now and have been relatively happy. I was going to look into the note 2 but felt it was just too big for me.

Note that the new ICS OTA DOES have a new hboot in it which means it'll probably lock and unroot your device.

You've been warned.

Verizon screwed the Gnex so hard. After the Tbolt, I got Bionic and got screwed hard as well, and the the Gnex was great given that you do the updates yourself. Then they gimped google wallet and I got so pissed I just let verizon. I love google wallet because I use it probably 2-3 times a day as there are NFC enabled vending machines and stores where I live. I also hated the Gnex battery life even with the extended battery. I tried the GS3 on ATT for a short while and hated the battery life yet again. I got the iPhone 5 now and have been relatively happy. I was going to look into the note 2 but felt it was just too big for me.

I thought they got Google Wallet working on the Gnex, at least if you were rooted it was. I've never used it or even see anywhere near me that supports it except maybe McDonalds (which I vary rarely eat at). Yeah, battery life was mediocre at best on the Gnex, but I have a desk job where I can keep it plugged in all the time, so it didn't affect me very much. Reception did though, I'm supposed to have 4G at work, but at my desk, I always got stuck on a weak 3G signal while I saw everyone else around me with 4G. Same with my friend/coworker who has the Verizon Gnex. It would also randomly drop data connection while having full bars of 3G/4G sometimes, didn't matter what baseband I was using.

I have absolutely no issues with my Note 2 so far. If you can handle the size, it really excels in pretty much every aspect of a smart phone. Best thing coming from the Gnex though is that I couldn't kill it in a day if I wanted to and I get 4G at my desk now :cool:.

i am still waiting for droid 4 to upgrade to jelly bean

If the Droid 3 is any indicator, you're probably not getting JB. The D4 is pretty much the same damn phone as the D3 with an extra 512 MBs of RAM and with the CPU clocked 200 MHz faster. I can't believe they put that exact same horrible qHD Pentile LCD display on it either. You can almost literally count the pixels on that thing and everything looks jagged as hell. I put it next to my OG Droid and it paled in comparison, which is sad.

^ Thanks for those links. I installed this, and it was a huge improvement over the CM7 that was running before (4G issues, got bogged, gps issues). Runs more smoothly, will hold me over until I upgrade to a razor maxx HD or something similar.

I thought they got Google Wallet working on the Gnex, at least if you were rooted it was. I've never used it or even see anywhere near me that supports it except maybe McDonalds (which I vary rarely eat at). Yeah, battery life was mediocre at best on the Gnex, but I have a desk job where I can keep it plugged in all the time, so it didn't affect me very much. Reception did though, I'm supposed to have 4G at work, but at my desk, I always got stuck on a weak 3G signal while I saw everyone else around me with 4G. Same with my friend/coworker who has the Verizon Gnex. It would also randomly drop data connection while having full bars of 3G/4G sometimes, didn't matter what baseband I was using.

I have absolutely no issues with my Note 2 so far. If you can handle the size, it really excels in pretty much every aspect of a smart phone. Best thing coming from the Gnex though is that I couldn't kill it in a day if I wanted to and I get 4G at my desk now :cool:.

If the Droid 3 is any indicator, you're probably not getting JB. The D4 is pretty much the same damn phone as the D3 with an extra 512 MBs of RAM and with the CPU clocked 200 MHz faster. I can't believe they put that exact same horrible qHD Pentile LCD display on it either. You can almost literally count the pixels on that thing and everything looks jagged as hell. I put it next to my OG Droid and it paled in comparison, which is sad.
Motorola has confirmed that the Droid 4 is getting JB.

Droid 3 is EOL

Back