Help.......7800gtx heating up

Hamid

n00b
Look at my specs. my MSI 7800gtx is running at stock and my normal temprature always staty between 58-65. While after running call of duty 2 for 30 minutes only, it goes to 75.

Please advise is it okay to me or if my card is getting too hot and I should do something for it.

thats pretty warm man. the max temp on those is like 105c though. but you should invest the 30 bucks and get a nv5 silencer. it will be worth it. your temps will drop about 15-20 degrees.

Simple solution...point a 120mm at it. 7v if your worried about noise.

That new Zalman works pretty good too, but would not fit on my XFX cards with the heatsink bar installed. Mine run 68C-71C OC'd under heavy Load, but I have a 120mm window fan pointed at them, You can just see the top of the bottom vid card fan (run two filtered 120mm's, one for CPU cooler) in my sig link below. The side fans really help!

BAH!!

Take the heatsink off and apply some Ceramique to the core and memory chips. Slap the original heatsink back on. Remove the pitiful ram "heatbar" from the ram thats on the back and attach ramsinks. Then..................
Do a search here in the forums on the ghetto mod.
I did this to my PNY 7800GTX that would hit 76C load temps at stock clocks. Now overclocked to 490/1300 and it won't get to 60C no matter how long I run rthdrbl. Flutters between 58 and 59C. Beautiful.

Only way to do better is with water. There are people with A64 stock heatsinks for sale for $15 on FS/FT.

The XFX bar runs the full length of the outside of the card and at 490 runs considerably cooler than at 529. Since these cards have a lifetime warranty even OC'd, kind of want to leave it on to keep the waranty intact. But your suggestion is a good one.

wrangler said:
BAH!!

Take the heatsink off and apply some Ceramique to the core and memory chips. Slap the original heatsink back on. Remove the pitiful ram "heatbar" from the ram thats on the back and attach ramsinks. Then..................
Do a search here in the forums on the ghetto mod.
I did this to my PNY 7800GTX that would hit 76C load temps at stock clocks. Now overclocked to 490/1300 and it won't get to 60C no matter how long I run rthdrbl. Flutters between 58 and 59C. Beautiful.

Only way to do better is with water. There are people with A64 stock heatsinks for sale for $15 on FS/FT.

Is using AS5 going to be a problem? Im planning to change the stock thermal pads on my bfg gtx 256mb soon.

CRaZYMoFo said:
Is using AS5 going to be a problem? Im planning to change the stock thermal pads on my bfg gtx 256mb soon.
Not if your extremely careful. AS5 is not conductive but it is capacitive. The core is surrounded by a bunch of tiny little surface mounted resistors, diodes etc. etc.

I was moderately careful and still got some of the Ceramique on them. They are very close and I got big hands. Same goes for the ram.

I can tell you that I had plenty of AS5 available to me and I still ordered and waited for the Ceramique to get here for this job. AS5 would be maybe 1-2C better and involves risk.

You could get a Stasis NV7800 cooler if you're feeling rich... This brought my load temps from 80C to 50C

after.jpg

installed-3.jpg

75c with a stock cooler while playing a game seems pretty normal to me. I'd either not worry about it, or get a NV silencer, I love mine, dropped my load temp by about 17 degrees.

Back