Help a girl out, will ya? :D

That's why I'm pointing out the difference, the 7200.10 is better than 7200. The price is not that much difference between the PMR and the regular.

There is no model called just 7200. This on is an NL35. The 7200 on the description only tells what the rpms are. But anyway, the reason it's just as expensive as 7200.10 400GB is because it's an (older) enterprise class drive and has features that would interest the enterprise market such as longer MTBF, error handling designed to work with RAID controllers, and something called "Workload Management". It's based on the 7200.8, but is aimed for a different market.

http://www.storagereview.com/ST3400832NS.sr for more info.

For a great, cheap case, don't forget the CoolerMaster Centurion 5

PSU: /second the corsair 520hx if your budget can fit it.

Its a damn great case and has served me well over the years. Upgrading to the big boys (aka silverstone) and giving my rig in my sig (current) to the girlfriend so she can play sims 2 whenever she wants.

oh well, guys will find any reasons to upgrade. quad core, here i come! :D

For a great, cheap case, don't forget the CoolerMaster Centurion 5

PSU: /second the corsair 520hx if your budget can fit it.

Its a damn great case and has served me well over the years. Upgrading to the big boys (aka silverstone) and giving my rig in my sig (current) to the girlfriend so she can play sims 2 whenever she wants.

oh well, guys will find any reasons to upgrade. quad core, here i come! :D

I have a Centurion 5 as well. It's a nice case, but I wish I'd gotten the Centurion 534 instead because of the 120mm fan in the front instead of the 80mm the C5 has. I still like the C5 looks over the C534 though. Maybe I'll get a C534 and mod it to look like the C5 :)

Personaly for the power supply I only use very few companies..

On the top of my personal list are:
PCP&C http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Manufactory=9830&N=2+50009830
FSP http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...20058+50001919&name=FSP+Group+(Fortron+Source)

and last but not least sparkle:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&N=2010320058+50001389&name=Sparkle+Power+Inc.

Depending on the price of the sytem is what I buy.

BTW: what is your current machine thats crapping out's specs, if you have an older single core and wana maybe also pay for lower end stuff to save after replacing to make a server and fold for the horde!

PCP&C http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Manufactory=9830&N=2+50009830
FSP http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...20058+50001919&name=FSP+Group+(Fortron+Source)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&N=2010320058+50001389&name=Sparkle+Power+Inc.

BTW: what is your current machine thats crapping out's specs, if you have an older single core and wana maybe also pay for lower end stuff to save after replacing to make a server and fold for the horde!

ooh lookie lookie, it's another girlie. :D lol

Anyway, LMF she sorta posted her specs on the second...errr...oh wait how many pages would that be for the non-40post/page folks....oh yeah, third page.

:eek: Expensive PSU's! (Will have to upgrade that!!- don't have the $ to spend on a PSU like that)

The specs for my current computer are in my signature. Everyone else had their computer specs in their siggy, so I thought I'd be like everyone else & put mine there, too. LOL

I thought of making my compy a server, but, i dun have anywhere to stick it & i ain't listening to it hum all night & day.

ooh lookie lookie, it's another girlie. :D lol

Anyway, LMF she sorta posted her specs on the second...errr...oh wait how many pages would that be for the non-40post/page folks....oh yeah, third page.

yep! another girl *gasps* :p LOL

I don't think anyone is hates you. You'll just have to excuse them for foaming at the mouth to get at you. I think some of these guys haven't seen a woman in awhile, and you've got them a little excited. Don't worry, it will pass. :D

oh, i was just being goofy :D i don't really think anyone hates me. :D i also don't think they were acting badly er something. :) it was very nice of everyone to respond to my questions & i appreciate it very much. :)

You'll just have to excuse them for foaming at the mouth to get at you.

That's not the only place some people will be foaming from.

j/k. ;)

anyway, now you have some more money I would upgrade your upgrade your graphics card.

That is incorrect. P35 > P965.

Agreed. Specifically the P35 chipset has an improved memory controller, better overclocking and of course Intel sanctioned 1333MHz FSB support. Some of the boards based on the P35 chipset are the best boards I've worked with to date. The ASUS P5K Deluxe being one of them.

I forgot to mention- I would like to overclock my stuff, but, I'll have to read more about it before I attempt doing that. Did that help you at all?~ :(

Candy, a lot of crap people are recommending really isn't overclocking material. Have fun sorting out all the suggestions. :p

Candy, a lot of crap people are recommending really isn't overclocking material. Have fun sorting out all the suggestions. :p

there's not a lot or wiggle room for overclocking options when it comes to the tight budget she's got. It can be done, but there's just not a lot out there. Used to be overclocking was an art for the budget conscious (Celeron 300A and K6-2 days). But the manufacturer's caught on to this "art" and turn around as a feature and charged a premium for it. :) Not that's there anything wrong with that.

Overclocking can be done on a budget.. Just more it depends on how much work you are willing to do. Such as my turning old socket a waterblocks into ones usable on new processors. The motherboards though on the budget is luck of the draw on overclocking features.

Overclocking can be done on a budget.. Just more it depends on how much work you are willing to do. Such as my turning old socket a waterblocks into ones usable on new processors. The motherboards though on the budget is luck of the draw on overclocking features.

That's more or less what I trying to say.

now that I see the specs with 500$ I can make *a lot* of suggestions on a budget..

The Celeron is like.. teh slow not overclocked..

You could upgrade to the Pentium D's for sure and see a large increase without spending a lot. I went from a P4 3.4E to D915 and don't regret the cpu upgrade, leaves me plenty of room to go up when the quads come down to a lower price.

I just bought an Abit IB9 and it is pretty decent paired up with an E4300. This should suit you very well.

Board and CPU
The board WAS on sale with rebate on newegg when I bought it making my purchase VERY inexpensive. I have made it over 3Ghz but of course it is depending on chip. This combo has very good performance at that speed. If you look around you can still find a few cheap boards.
If you're interested they can be bought OEM.

I would also look at P35 boards. The best is the ABIT IP35. Don't be fooled. For the price and performance nothing can beat it. There is a lower end IP35 and it is very nice and OC's well like the reg IP35 but it doesn't have the quality components as the reg IP35. The caps are better and the heatsinks are also better.

P965 chiset is cheaper but for MORE future proofing P35 chipset is atad better but "pricier".

Case
Case picking is not that hard. Pick what you like! If you don't mind a rebate... the ANTEC "fridge" p180 is on Sale on Neweeg as well. Comes out to about $60 with shipping. I don't know how strong you are but it is heavy. Over 30lbs! It is a high wuality case though! The Rosewill case is nice btw. Just look around a bit. Sales always pop up.

PSU
The Ultrta PSU is not really that bad. Don't worry about that. IF you look around there may be some better deals. Take your time... I know you're in a rush but it pays sometimes to buy piece by piece.

Optical
I would also NOT do Lite Off. Do the SAMSUNG

Memory
Do one of these as they are MUCH better than what you have and have no rebates. If you can push it a bit Crucial Ballistix for the win. They require rebates though.
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/5008315
or 2 of these
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5278197

Of course it's ur PC and you do the final deciding!

btw - FASTEST help post I've ever seen!!! LOL

Can you also post If you have bought or what you're looking to buy... unless your 1st post is up to date.

This would be my recommendation for your system. I actually read the whole thread and if you managed to pull something useful from this thread props to you because I couldn't.

Disregard the name of the wish list its actually a build a I did for my roommate I didn't include a case or a DVD burner but that is more of a personal choice. If you need to make the total price lower swap the Vid card for a 7600GS or something if you are not going to be gaming all you really need is something to put the picture on the screen. I just noticed somewhere that you had linked a 7900GS personally I think that it is complete overkill for a work machine. But I'm still not completely sure what you are going to be using the comp for.

Well heres the link.
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...hListNumber=6701288&WishListTitle=Chirs+Intel

This would be my recommendation for your system. I actually read the whole thread and if you managed to pull something useful from this thread props to you because I couldn't.

Disregard the name of the wish list its actually a build a I did for my roommate I didn't include a case or a DVD burner but that is more of a personal choice. If you need to make the total price lower swap the Vid card for a 7600GS or something if you are not going to be gaming all you really need is something to put the picture on the screen. I just noticed somewhere that you had linked a 7900GS personally I think that it is complete overkill for a work machine. But I'm still not completely sure what you are going to be using the comp for.

Well heres the link.
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...hListNumber=6701288&WishListTitle=Chirs+Intel

I do some light gaming. Generally too busy to game, but I do game occasionally. I mostly use my PC for video editing & encoding, as well as copying & burning my DVD's & CD's. I also edit audio clips & stuff for podcasts & I do a lot of graphic design. :)

Hope that helped. :)

Am considering getting the Q6600. Hopefully my budget will expand to the $700 range. If so, I have a much better idea of what to buy, thanks to everyone here & their help. :) Even if my budget remains at 600.00, I'm positive that I'll get a really good deal, thanks to everyone's participation & willingness to help me out. I am extremely grateful for everything! :D

I still have some questions & will ask your guys' opinions when I find out more of what's going on with my budget situation. :D

I did find a case that has an option for 4 80mm fans, for 39.99 shipped. - http://3btech.net/blyadestgaca.html - Do you guys think that'd be a decent one?

What I'm considering now is:

2 GB OCZ Platinum 800mhz memory: 79.99 + Free shipping. Bought it!
Asus P5B Deluxe Mobo 85.00 *crosses her fingers*
Rosewill 500W PSU 47.99 ($10.00 off + free shipping + 15.00 MIR = 1 very happy HakuDoku)
7900GS Video Card 124.00
Q6600 Processor 266.00

Total: 602.98 + shipping.

Who knows? I may find some parts on here or something for less :D I'm keeping my eyeballs peeled! :D

LOL That's even better than what I originally wanted & it's for a lot less money. :D How funny. You guys are a total God-send. :D

Will consider dropping the video card to the 7600GS (or GT?) to shave off a few bucks & add the 32.99 (free shipping) Samsung lightscribe DVD burner. XD

I've had several LiteOn drives over the past few years and not one has ever given any problem. LG drives on the other hand, well that's a story for a another time. :D

I have a Lite-On in my pc right now and it works great. It's quieter than the Samsung it replaced, and most importantly, it works and it has never burned a coaster. The Samsung drive I had before worked great for about 3 months, then started burning CD-Rs with corruption at anything but the minimum speed, and eventually nothing but coasters. I didn't try any DVD-R's since it started failing because the discs are more expensive than CD-R's.

Granted this is just my experience. Drives fail for all brands, it's inevitable. But just as I am sure there are lots of satisfied Samsung users, I am also sure there are lots of satisfied Lite-On users. The Samsung drive was the first optical drive I've ever had fail, before that I used Lite-On exclusively.

Dont do a GS. Minimum a GT but if you look around there are always great deals going. I'd prefer a weaker cpu and a stronger vid card. Especially if I were a gamer. That's just me. There's always overclocking and FUTURE upgrades to a Quad. Pretty much unnecessary unless it's server work or real heavy encoding and the such.

I have a Lite-On in my pc right now and it works great. It's quieter than the Samsung it replaced, and most importantly, it works and it has never burned a coaster. The Samsung drive I had before worked great for about 3 months, then started burning CD-Rs with corruption at anything but the minimum speed, and eventually nothing but coasters. I didn't try any DVD-R's since it started failing because the discs are more expensive than CD-R's.

Granted this is just my experience. Drives fail for all brands, it's inevitable. But just as I am sure there are lots of satisfied Samsung users, I am also sure there are lots of satisfied Lite-On users. The Samsung drive was the first optical drive I've ever had fail, before that I used Lite-On exclusively.

I hear ya! :D My Lite-On drives have been great. :) I just picked the Samsung, because it was 32.99 & had lightscribe along with free shipping. :D The only cheaper drive with free shipping was a Sony NEC one, with no lightscribe, and it was only like a dollar less. :D

Dont do a GS. Minimum a GT but if you look around there are always great deals going. I'd prefer a weaker cpu and a stronger vid card. Especially if I were a gamer. That's just me. There's always overclocking and FUTURE upgrades to a Quad. Pretty much unnecessary unless it's server work or real heavy encoding and the such.

Okies.. I found a 7600GT for 92.00, free shipping and a $15.00 Mail in rebate. http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A9602821

I kinda don't wanna spend too much on a video card right now, because it'll just have to be upgraded soon anyway.. I would still prefer to get the 7900GS, for 130.82, with the $20.00 mail-in rebate, but if push comes to shove, I'll get the 7600GT, cause I do a lot more video editing & stuff than I do gaming (I only play WoW, cause my friends have a guild. Am not an avid gamer). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130056

I hear ya! :D My Lite-On drives have been great. :) I just picked the Samsung, because it was 32.99 & had lightscribe along with free shipping. :D The only cheaper drive with free shipping was a Sony NEC one, with no lightscribe, and it was only like a dollar less. :D

Did you get the SATA model? I've got three of those and they have been awesome so far. Yet my really expensive Plextor drives only seem to last a year before dying. :confused:

The case is fine, just make sure you like the case design, because you're going to see it everyday, the price is not bad if it includes some fans. You might spend around $20 or more for 4 fans.

Rosewill 500W PSU 47.99 ($10.00 off + free shipping + 15.00 MIR = 1 very happy HakuDoku)
7900GS Video Card 124.00
Q6600 Processor 266.00
Where's the hard drive? are you using your old one?

I'll take 7600GT instead of 7600GS.

The case is fine, just make sure you like the case design, because you're going to see it everyday, the price is not bad if it includes some fans. You might spend around $20 or more for 4 fans.

Where's the hard drive? are you using your old one?

I'll take 7600GT instead of 7600GS.

I will use my old 250 GB one :D woo hoo :D er.. It's not THAT old. Only a couple months. I had been using it to store backups of my DVD's, so it's full, but, I will just burn the DVD's & format the drive & use it for my new compy :D

Okies.. I found a 7600GT for 92.00, free shipping and a $15.00 Mail in rebate. http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A9602821

I kinda don't wanna spend too much on a video card right now, because it'll just have to be upgraded soon anyway.. I would still prefer to get the 7900GS, for 130.82, with the $20.00 mail-in rebate, but if push comes to shove, I'll get the 7600GT, cause I do a lot more video editing & stuff than I do gaming (I only play WoW, cause my friends have a guild. Am not an avid gamer). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130056

If I were you, I would avoid getting a video card altogether and just go with integrated graphics for now, or if you're going to get one, get a used dx9 class card for $50 or less just to hold you over. If you mostly play WoW, an x1300 or 7300 class card, or a used 6600gt/x800 class card should be enough to hold you over. I used to play CS:S with a radeon 9200 pci that I 'rented' from wal-mart (their return policy is great sometimes) when I accidentally fried my video card. Granted I had to run it basically in DX7 mode but I still got good enough frames to enjoy the game until I got a better video card. WoW was released long enough ago that even an early dx9 card should give you acceptable frames if you turn the details down.

If I were you, I would avoid getting a video card altogether and just go with integrated graphics for now, or if you're going to get one, get a used dx9 class card for $50 or less just to hold you over. If you mostly play WoW, an x1300 or 7300 class card, or a used 6600gt/x800 class card should be enough to hold you over. I used to play CS:S with a radeon 9200 pci that I 'rented' from wal-mart (their return policy is great sometimes) when I accidentally fried my video card. Granted I had to run it basically in DX7 mode but I still got good enough frames to enjoy the game until I got a better video card. WoW was released long enough ago that even an early dx9 card should give you acceptable frames if you turn the details down.

ahhhh that's cool! :D

Okay, basically this is what I am thinking.

If everything goes well, I'll end up with this computer:

7600GT $92.00, free shipping, $15.00 MIR ~ Will upgrade ASAP
2 GB OCZ Platinum 800mhz memory: 79.99 + Free shipping.
Samsung DVD 18x +/- burner 32.99
Rosewill 500W PSU 47.99 ($10.00 off + free shipping + 15.00 MIR)
Q6600 Processor 266.00
250 GB HD - Free (already have it)

Total: 603.97 - Price includes shipping!

If things don't go well & I have to get a different motherboard, I'm gonna go with the Abit IP35, from MWave. for 146.09 (including shipping), and it has a $25.00 MIR. http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA23928

So my compy will be one of the following (I dunno which video card is better, the 7300LE, 7300GS or the 7300GT. I assume it's the GT.):

7300 LE $45.99
Abit IP35 146.09
Q6600 Processor 266.00

Total: 619.05

7300 GS $54.30
Abit IP35 146.09
Q6600 Processor 266.00

Total: 627.36

7300 GT $56.99
Abit IP35 146.09
Q6600 Processor 266.00

Total: 630.05

Are one of these configurations alright?

I hear ya! My Lite-On drives have been great. I just picked the Samsung, because it was 32.99 & had lightscribe along with free shipping. The only cheaper drive with free shipping was a Sony NEC one, with no lightscribe, and it was only like a dollar less.

Did you check this already?
Lite-On 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6072&CMP=EMC-IGNEFL071907&ATT=N82E16827106072

$38.99 with newegg promo code

Maybe I'll sound like an idiot, because I know you do video editing, graphics, etc. But if you're getting the Q6600, and only using the stock fan/heatsink, and want to overclock... I have the feeling you won't get very far with it. It'll start overheating like an ice cube in a desert (sorry I've had some wine). So only thing I might suggest is check the programs you use, make sure they support multi-threading, up to 4 cores. If NOT, then go for your original E4400, or maybe even an E6*** series proc, depending on how much they cost after the price cuts.

With the stock heatsink, or a cheapo but decent heatsink, you should be able to overclock a fair bit on a dual-core.

Just my 2 cents.

Normally I would recommend a Q6600 to anyone, but I would assume that they would put decent cooling on it. You don't have the budget for it... so I don't know, not meaning screw you up, but maybe something to toss around.

Edit: And feel free anyone to correct me, I'll admit I can be wrong from time to time ;)

Maybe I'll sound like an idiot, because I know you do video editing, graphics, etc. But if you're getting the Q6600, and only using the stock fan/heatsink, and want to overclock... I have the feeling you won't get very far with it. It'll start overheating like an ice cube in a desert (sorry I've had some wine). So only thing I might suggest is check the programs you use, make sure they support multi-threading, up to 4 cores. If NOT, then go for your original E4400, or maybe even an E6*** series proc, depending on how much they cost after the price cuts.

With the stock heatsink, or a cheapo but decent heatsink, you should be able to overclock a fair bit on a dual-core.

Just my 2 cents.

Normally I would recommend a Q6600 to anyone, but I would assume that they would put decent cooling on it. You don't have the budget for it... so I don't know, not meaning screw you up, but maybe something to toss around.

Edit: And feel free anyone to correct me, I'll admit I can be wrong from time to time ;)

Actually, I understand where you're coming from & I appreciate the advice! :) I also considered dropping the Q6600 :D - We'll see though. :D Just depends on which board I end up with. And- I'm not planning to OC the Q6600 for quite some time- I wouldn't need to. If I can get the board I want, I was going to get some nice cooling for it, I just didn't mention that, because I don't know which motherboard I'm gonna get, yet. :) If I can get the one I want, definitely going to squeeze some cooling stuff in there. :D How ya like them apples? :D - What would you recommend? :D

~ HakuDoku

7300 GT $56.99
Abit IP35 146.09
Q6600 Processor 266.00

Total: 630.05

Go with that one. Theres not much price difference between them all, so go with the "most expensive" one, hehe.

If I were buying a P35 board right now and was on a tight budget, I'd go with like an E6420 (or whatever is similarly priced after the 22nd; should be the E6750), then upgrade to a Yorkfield whenever an attractive one comes out, which should be within the next year.

A good cooler on the cheap is the Scythe Ninja Plus Rev.B. It cools my CPU as good as my Tuniq. ;)

If I can get the one I want, definitely going to squeeze some cooling stuff in there. :D How ya like them apples? :D - What would you recommend? :D

~ HakuDoku

I'm assuming you're not quite ready to play around with liquid cooling yet, and want some air cooling advice. I haven't been keeping up on this thread so I'm not sure what your budget is at the moment since it's apparently changed a couple times, so I'll just recommend what I would personally buy for myself. Currently these are some of the best HSFs out on the market.

Scythe Infinity - best Scythe for active cooling (running a fan with it).
Scythe Ninja - best Scythe for passive cooling (no fan, but quieter)
Tuniq Tower 120 - comparable to the Infinity, but I prefer the Infinity.
Zalman 9700 - This gets slightly higher temps than the Infinity and the Tower, but it's a quiet and efficient cooler.

Out of those 4, I personally would choose the Scythe Infinity, however there's something you should be aware of. This is a huge heatsink, and unfortunately it doesn't have anything to support it like a brace that goes on the back of your motherboard. This will put a lot of strain on the mounting bracket, so you'll have to find a way to support it. The most common way is to simply take a piece of wire, wrap it around the top of the heatsink, and then tie it to the top of your case. That way it'll have a little more support. You can also build a custom back brace if you feel so inclined however.

If you can't afford to pay ~$60 for a HSF right now, then I would advise going with the Scythe Ninja. That's probably the best cooler you'll find for under $40.

....where to start.....:rolleyes:

hakudoku - welcome to the forums. You've come to the right place for hardware information.

Problem being, this is General[H]ardware. There's a lot of banter and comments in this thread that just won't fly in G[H]. Some pruning has been done already, and I'd like to leave the thread open, but the facts are that if everyone can't leave the testosterone and off topic comments out of the thread, I or one of the admin folks will have to lock the thread. If you folks can't take a hint, the more persistent and rude amongst the bunch may even earn a short vacation from their posting abilities.

Fear not, there is a forum dedicated to such witty banter and testosterone is not only welcome, it's usually encouraged. That would be the paid forums, where Genaral[M]ayhem and other off topic areas can be found. Membership is cheap and easy to take care of right here. But, this is not G[M] and the rules are pretty clear, in here. As a new member, you may have missed the rules, so please take the time to read them. More than a few of the posters in this thread could clearly use a refresher, so you guys please feel free to review, with my complements....:cool:

So, the long and short of it is this: Please get this thread back on topic and keep it on topic. Please..?? Leave the commentary out of it or we'll do the mod / admin thing. It's completely up to you guys at this point.

Thanks in advance.....

Hey folks!!

I'm new here & I need your help! :D (how original, right?) - Actually, I dunno if I posted this in the correct section, so, please be kind & don't chastise me too much if I didn't. Just tell me where I should have posted this & I the next time I need to post something like this, I'll put it in the correct section, I promise. :D ;)

Okies.. Here's the skinny.

My current computer is about to crap out on me & I need to build a new one ASAP. ASAP meaning... Um... Immediately. lol

My max budget is 500 bucks. (I know.. :( I'm a broke ass :( )

What I use computers for: Video editing/very light gaming/graphic/web design/*burning tons of DVDs* (legally, spank you very much)

What I'm looking for:

The ability to upgrade in the future.

Preferences:

Would like a core 2 duo compy, unless I can get one of better value that's an AMD or P4. - Don't care which, really, as long as it's A.) faster than my current hunk of junk & B.) a something I can upgrade to a C2D er something later, when I have more $$

What I was thinking (correct me if you know of anything better, please):

Case - 54.99 [currently undecided]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147042

Ultra 600 W PSU - 49.97
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2974508

ASUS P5LD2 R2.0 LGA 775 Intel 945P ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - 84.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131048
[Update: Am trying to purchase better mobo through these forums]

SUPER TALENT 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail - 73.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609219
[Update: If I get a better mobo for a good price, I want to upgrade Ram to G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit for 129.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231065)

Samsung DVD +- burner 33.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151141
[Update: Will try to salvage current one, if can't be done, will look for a less expensive Lite-On one]

Duo E4400 139.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115014
[Update: will purchase better PSU after the 22nd]
Grand total (minus shipping):

517.92 or 527.92 (assuming I didn't skip anything on accident?)

Would eventually like to purchase:

Video Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130056

If you have a better suggestion, please let me know. :)

I have a sound card, but I need to upgrade it. I was thinking:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001

Okies, that's all! :D

This is the compy that I *really* want: *tears*

Mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131045

Processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115003

RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231065

Video Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130056

DVD Burner:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151141

Soundcard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001

Hard Drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136017

Heatsink:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835185027

Monitor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009091

*sigh* :(

If I had time to save up money, I'd get the compy above, but I don't have time. My computer will die very soon. :(

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank you in advance!! :D

All the Best,
~ Candy/HakuDoku

ahaha. this is hilarious. Only "choose my comp" thread to ever hit 10 pages, and I think it has a lot to do about you being a girl.

By the way, DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT EVER EVER LOOK AT THE P5LD2. It's about the most piece of shit motherboard I've ever had. Power regulation sucks shit on the board and overclocks like crap.

Here's what I'd recommend:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115016 - E6420 - $183

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130097 - MSI P35 Platinum - MSI's got a good record with this series. 170 dollars (-15 MIR)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565 - 2gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 (they're D9GMH, should hit around 1000 mhz +. my friend has that same kit that has hit 1200 mhz before with that MSI motherboard as well) - 126 (-40 MIR)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130056 - eVGA 7900GS KO - 125

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887003 - Heatsink. I don't want to be sexist or anything, but this might appeal to you if you're a little more girly girl ;) . if not, go Thermaltake Big Typhoon if you're a hardcore overclocker. (don't say it, don't want to get any of these nerds [h]ard, haha). - 50.00 (- 10 MIR)

FSP Fortron Source 500W Power Supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104037 - 65

Find a 160Gb hard drive on this forum for 40 dollars (I actually scored a 160Gb SATA2 hard drive for 40 dollars shipped) and a case for maybe 40 dollars, and you're about set. Save up for a better comp: (Price of the one listed above is 718 + 40 for the hard drive and + 30 for a case). You'll be happier in the end. I was miserable with my low end system. I started out with:

Pentium 4 630
Asus P5LD2 v1.0
1 x 512Mb GeIL Value RAM
MSI X800TD128E 128 mb GDDR X800
generic 400W power supply

That was a miserable time. I'm much happier now with better parts, even if I had to wait a little ;) (I was only forced into buying that system above since my laptop died and school was starting)...

If you really want to cut costs, I'd recommend an MSI 975X Platinum Powerup (will support Penryn, MSI has publically announced that it will with a bios update), drop the graphics card down to maybe a 7600GT, and replace the heatsink for something cheaper, or stay stock for a little bit then save up another 50 later and get a good heatsink

Back