Help a Linux n00b

Proxy

Pumpkin Ghost
Hey guys. I have been playing with the idea if using Linux more as a primary OS. I am familiar enough with installing things in Linux using ./ -d as that is how I install VMWare tools on my Linux VM's. With my sig rig, I am guessing that installing Chipset, AHCI, and nVidia drivers would be the same? I had some issues with the nVidia drivers. I ran a tar -zxvf and then the ./installer but even as the sudo user it wouldn't do anything. Can anyone help?

Yes, do yourself a favor and use a repo if one is available. Not that Canonical is keeping their stuff up to date these days, so if you're using Ubuntu the timing isn't perfect. But hopefully they'll iron that out and get us back to automatic updates.

What distro are you using?

Otherwise, if you insist on using the installer, you have to drop to a virtual terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F1, etc.) and shut down your display manager and X before running the installer (using sudo of course); make sure you log out of your session first because all your windows will be closed. You might need to do sudo sh ./installer-name.sh.

Chipset, AHCI, etc. drivers are handled by the kernel. You just need a version later than your hardware. What OS version are you using?

I was trying to use KUbuntu (I kind of like the KDE interface) 12.10. Is there a better distro I should look at?

Ahh, that's fine... it's just that 12.10 has a lovely bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-updates/+bug/1068341

Basically you need to install the linux-headers-generic package first (you can find it with the Synaptic Package Manager... which you might need to install first from the Software Center). After you have linux-headers installed (you might need linux-source too), you can enabled the NVIDIA binary driver from the Software Sources program, which I think is now hidden in System Settings. I think they give you a 304.x and an experimental 310.x version.

It's amazing what a cluster-f this has turned into in the past year or so... all thanks to Canonical.

I don't know if Linux Mint has it figured out any better since they're just repackaging Ubuntu.

What about any of the other distros, like SusE? I'm just looking for something a bit more user-friendly for now.

Hey guys. I have been playing with the idea if using Linux more as a primary OS. I am familiar enough with installing things in Linux using ./ -d as that is how I install VMWare tools on my Linux VM's. With my sig rig, I am guessing that installing Chipset, AHCI, and nVidia drivers would be the same? I had some issues with the nVidia drivers. I ran a tar -zxvf and then the ./installer but even as the sudo user it wouldn't do anything. Can anyone help?

Better X and NVIDIA drivers from x-swat/x-updates PPA in Mint/Ubuntu:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
sudo init 6

"Chipset and AHCI drivers"

no clue, except repositories

Most software in Linux desktops comes through binaries located in "Repositories" your "Package Manager". 1-click installs.
Ubuntu has about 85,000 packages and libraries

If you think you want to start with some aspie rolling release distro where you compile your own shit every couple of weeks for the personal fulfillment compiling brings, good for you. Here's a stick and a string. Much more fulfilling than getting food at the grocery store. :D

Last edited:
Back