Help a n00b build a powerful $3,000 rig. (1st build ever)

Odin75

Gawd
Ok guys, I joined [H] almost 2 months ago for the original purpose of getting enough information to build a PC. I've been gathering knowledge by asking the most stupid questions, but now I feel confident enough to pull the trigger on this $3,000+ baby. I'll be moving to a new house and graduating from High School, both in about 2 weeks. This would be like a gift to myself, since I'm giving away my current system(see sig) to my sister, and build one from scratch for myself. My main uses of this is Video Editing and Gaming. So, here is what I got so far, and why I choose them:

Case: Lian Li PC-7 Plus II + Window .................................... $105.00
CPU: Intel Core2Duo e6600 ................................................. $225.90
Heatsink: Scythe NINJA PLUS Rev.B ..................................... $35.95
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 ................................................. $5.99
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 ............................... $129.99
Ram: G.Skill 2x1gb DDR2 800 ............................................... $84.99
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800GTX .................................. $559.99
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2x320gb 16mb Cache ........... $159.98
Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-520HX ................................. $104.99
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2B ........................ $89.99
Cd/Dvd Burner: Lite-On LH-20A1S (sata) ................................ $39.99
Keyboard: Microsoft Digital Media Pro Keyboard .................... $14.99
Mouse: Logitech G5 ............................................................ $34.99
Mousepad: XTRAC Ripper Optical ......................................... $13.95
Speaker: Logitech Z-5500 ................................................... $233.10
Monitor: Westinghouse LVM-37W3 1080p ............................. $1,125
________
Subtotal: $2994.79
Shipping: $8.72(Newegg) + $14.46(Performance-Pcs) + free (Buy.com & PcNation & Dell) + $7.40(Jab-Tech) + $5.56(Directron)
Tax: $16.32 (speaker only)
Warranty: $149.95 (tv only)
________
TOTAL: $3191.64

Case: Lian Li cases are good quility. Mid-tower is the best size for my needs. It's aluminum, and comes with 2x120mm fans plus an opening to add a 80mm top blowhole fan.
CPU: The e6600 it's the perfect price/performance one. Has 4mb cache. And also seems to offer nice overclocking possibilities. I would like to reach 3.2ghz, without voltage change.
Heatsink: It's cheap, but has great performance. 120mm fan helps reduce noise. And a very important one....is sexy. LOL.
Thermal Paste: This AS5 looks good to cool the CPU. Even though I would of liked "ARCTIC COOLING MX-1" which seems to be better, but I can't find it anywhere.
Motherboard: The DS3 is very popular and is P965, which is suppost to be better at overclocking than others. Has all the needed slots. But I don't know if the layout is good, or if I'll have problems like other users. Some are Very Happy with it, while other are Very Mad. So, I'm not sure.
Ram: 2x1gb seems more than enough. G.Skill is a decent brand. And DDR2 800 seems enogh for my overclocking needs.
Video Card: After some debate and some thinking, I decided to pull the trigger on the 8800GTX. This is "THE" video card of today. Great performance for games today, and hopefully great as well in the future. With some overclocking, I might get up to Ultra speeds. This should be very capable of playing at 1920x1080. I picked EVGA because it has the best warranty, and because I can overclock without loosing warranty (or so I heard).
Hard Drive: The 2x320gb HHD is because I do video editing, and that takes alot of space. Went with Sata II and Perpendicular-Recording because it's the newest thing now, and it has a good price.
Power Supply: This was recommended to me by a lot of members here at [H]. Has a nice 120mm fan, it's modular, and has good set of inputs. 520watts seems enough to power this rig perfectly.
OS: XP Home is more than enough for my needs. There is always free programs to do what the other versions provide. Plus, XP is better than Vista now, as far as performance and driver support goes.
Cd/Dvd Burner: Picked this because it's the fastest at burning Dual Layer DVD, but also has good speeds in other formats. I'll go for DL DVD because I want to be able to burn more stuff into a single disk to save space. I don't want a million disks laying around. Also, got SATA for the better airflow and cable management.
Keyboard: Got this keyboard because it's cheap, and also have lots of features. It's a multimedia keyboard, so I have easy access to certain functions. It also comes with 5 programmable buttons which I can assign any shortcut to it.
Mouse: The G5 seems perfect for gaming. It's big, which I like, uses laser. Seems like a good overall mouse.
Mousepad: Plain black matches my theme. The mouse pad has a 17"x11"size, which is similar to my monitor's 16:9 aspect ratio. Also, gives me enough room for movement.
Speaker: The Z-5500 are the second best 5.1 computer speakers. 505watts seems enough for my room. Has nice features, and a separate dock is a PLUS so I can control everything from where I sit. Also, comes with a control so I can adjust basic features from the comfort of my bed.
Monitor: This is one of the best gaming monitor now. The 1080p resolution is perfect for gaming and watching movies. It does 1:1 pixel mapping, and has a great set of digital inputs, like 2xDVI and HDMI.

I've done a lot of research as you can see. So after doing my part, I just want for you guys that are more experienced on this to give me your opinion. I've never build a PC before. Never. But I've gotten a general idea after reading some articles and watching some videos. But yeah, I do have common sence. Here are some examples:

Hardware.info Video
3dGameMan.com Video(3 parts)
HowStuffWorks.com Video(7 parts)
Freetuts.blogspot.com Video
My-PC-Help.com Video
Tom's Hardware Guide(2 parts)

Is there anything else that I might want to know? Any change that you suggest I make? Different places to purchase this items so I can lower my prices? I would really like to stay closer to that original $3,000 budget. Anything, anything? This are $3,000+ we are talking about here, so I CANNOT make any mistakes. I went for Newegg for most of the stuff since I've been buying all my stuff from them in the past, and it has been perfect. Low prices and excellent warranty.

5/19/07
- Corrected some grammar, and organized.
5/22/07
- Removed X-Fi Fatal1ty from list. I'll reuse my current X-fi XtremeMusic.
- Replaced 8800GTS(640mb) for 8800GTX. This will allow me to play newer games.
- Removed Blower. I'll check my temperatures and decide after.
- Decided to buy Logitech G5 from Buy.com instead of Newegg. Saves me $11.
- Updated "Prices" and "Reason for Choice" accordingly.
5/23/07
- Decided to buy Logitech Z-5500 from Dell instead of Newegg. Saves me $70+.
5/24/07
- Decided to buy a "Microsoft Digital Media Pro Keyboard" instead of the "Saitek". It's cheaper, and have more functions.
- Fixed link for the Z-5500 from Newegg to Dell.

Is that really a gaming monitor? If you're doing video editing and gaming I suggest going with at 1600x1200 display and a faster CPU instead of the expensive screen. I think Dell has some good S-IPS montiors, but don't know how good they are for gaming. I think most professionals who do photography and video production still use CRT.

So I take it you won't be overclocking the ram? You should go SLI at the least and get a better mobo like a DFI or ASUS. I would also look into some other speakers imo. Just another brand I've never owned anything logitech that hasn't fallen apart. Are the two HDD going to be in RAID 0? For that same price I'd get a Razer mouse instead like a copperhead. If you PSU supports SLI you mobo should too. Even if you can't afford 2 8800 now you'll thank yourself in the future not having to swap out a mobo for an extra x16 slot.

Oh, I mean, this is nothing professional, just a hobby. And I do more gaming than video editing actually. I got that tv since a lot of people use it for gaming, and is good also to watch movies.It has its own dedicated thread here at [H] with 200+ pages.

Oh, I mean, this is nothing professional, just a hobby. And I do more gaming than video editing actually. I got that tv since a lot of people use it for gaming, and is good also to watch movies.It has its own dedicated thread here at [H] with 200+ pages.
Only thing I would worry about is tearing. Perhaps a TN?

I'm not planning on going SLI ever. Seems like a waste since I won't get full double performance. I'll stay with fast single cards that are able to run games at max detail. Plus, I cannot spend more than what I have now, so SLI is a No-No.
As far as the hard-drives, I'll run them as 2 separate HDD. I don't want RAID 0 since the performance is not that big, and It's kinda risky. And I don't want RAID 1 because I'll rather use all the space I paid for.
For the speakers, well, Logitech are good, at least on my experience. My uncle has some Logitech 2.1speakers and they work perfectly after about 3 years. Maybe you got bad luck that time.
As far as the mobo, what do you recommend better, without killing my budget more than it is now?

Wow! I must say you've done your homework.

Though I concur with the monitor thing.. you could save a grip of cash by getting a smaller monitor.

For mobo, DS3 is a very high clocker, but the ASUS P5B Deluxe or the Abit Quad GT have more features.. I would get a P5B Dlx :)

The video card blower? ditch it.. The Lian Li PC-7b has a side vent that you can attach a 120mm fan to. EDIT: nevermind.. yours is a modded one :eek: Mine is a 7B without the window... and mine has the vent. SOrry.

X fi Fatal1ty is a waste.. the X ram is irrelevant with that CPU and that Video card you listed (they're super powerful :) ). Get an XtremeMusic or an Azuzentech X-meridian.

Also, lastly I would go with this RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231065

It is only 30 dollars more, but it uses Micron D9 chips and will give you more OC room. (those sticks you listed will not pass 400 FSB very easily) Keep in mind this is only if you get an exceptional CPU chip... 400fsb / 800 mhz will stil get you to 3.6 GHz regardless.

ooh forgot one small thing: the G5 mouse is 25 bucks at Dell.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0523105
just apply this coupon: TZS8CNL5SGFLW3 :)

Well, I was gonna get the window that is in the picture, since it normally doesn't come with a window. And that one doesn't come with side fan, if I'm not mistaken.

As far as the tv, well, I don't have a tv. I never had a tv of my own. I only watch tv on my mom's tv when I get a chance. So every time someone would talk to me, they would be like "dude, you saw that show in Mtv?", and I'll be like "Nah! dude, I don't even have a tv, just a PC." LOL:p I mean, I enjoy Pc more, don't get me wrong. And no, I'm no buying the idea of a tv tuner, since that is gonna lower the quality even more than what DishNetwork is doing already.

By the way, when you recommend a mobo, can you plz explain me why you recommend it. When you say features, what do you mean exactly?

Well, I got the XtremeGamer since the XtremeMusic is discontinued. I won't go for X-Meridian since I game a lot, and those only support up to EAX 3.0 if I'm not mistaken, while the X-fi go up to EAX 5.0.

About the RAM, $30 is more money I have to waste. I'm actually looking for ways to save money, not to waste more. And If I manage to get the CPU up to 3.2ghz with the RAM I chose, I'll be happy.

Thx so far guys.

Haha I hear you with the TV.. But you can get a GREAT monitor for about 300 bucks. Anyway Ill leave that up to you :)

By the way, when you recommend a mobo, can you plz explain me why you recommend it. When you say features, what do you mean exactly?

1. looks better (Gigabyte's color coordinator is color blind :rollseyes:)
2. More SATA ports (more hard disks, more dvd burners, etc..)
3. Higher FSB potential if you happen to like heavy overclocking. P5B passes 500 easily.
4. firewire port
5. better cooling heatpipe

You can compare features on Newegg's page and determine which ones you will need (and if they're worth the extra cost). For me, the SATA ports is a biggie because I am constantly adding hard disks. :)

XtremeMusic was discontinued?! :eek:

yes, it's discontinued. :(
I'll look into the differences of those 2.
But for now, I'll go to sleep. I gotta wake up at 6am to go to work, and is 3am already. LOL:D

get a better motherboard, either a 680i or i975x

also pick another memory stick.

FYI. I had a Logitech G15 until I spilled coffee on it.. then got that Saitek as a replacement. The G15 is way better for gaming especially for FPS games where you need all the response you can get (saitek is squishy and G15 is springy). The lighting on the Saitek is not very clear, its dim on most parts of the keyboard.

Here's a third vote for a 680i motherboard. I would also select a 10,000 RPM WD Raptor for your OS/programs and a large single drive for your storage. With a RAID 0 array you double your chances of losing your data. Or 2 small (like 80 GB) drives in RAID 0 for OS and a single large drive for data.

Whichever way you go, putting all your eggs into a single RAID 0 is not generally recommended unless you plan on putting your important stuff onto offline storage (like DVD's).

680i is unnecessary.. it runs HOT and the stock fan is LOUD. He is not going SLI either, which makes it even more unnecessary.

Copperhead is crap... E6700 is a waste.. 680i is unnecessary as I mentioned above ^

:D
I think SLI is a good step for future considerations. I find many people say "oh I don't need it" and then say "where's my extra x16 slot for SLI" 6mo -1 year later. :rolleyes:

I think SLI is a good step for future considerations. I find many people say "oh I don't need it" and then say "where's my extra x16 slot for SLI" 6mo -1 year later. :rolleyes:

Not. In 6 months to a year, any single card will BLOW away SLI. The cycle repeats..

Yes 680i is a great board. I have two of them.. but they are more expensive, they run hot, and they are loud.

Wow! I must say you've done your homework.
For mobo, DS3 is a very high clocker, but the ASUS P5B Deluxe or the Abit Quad GT have more features.. I would get a P5B Dlx :)

1. looks better (Gigabyte's color coordinator is color blind :rollseyes
2. More SATA ports (more hard disks, more dvd burners, etc..)
3. Higher FSB potential if you happen to like heavy overclocking. P5B passes 500 easily.
4. firewire port

Both mobos can reach 500Mhz but seriously, I don't think the OP is aiming to shoot that high. The DS3 is a cheaper choice and for the price, it's good mobo. However the biggest problem with the DS3 IMO is the placement of the ATA port. That's the stupidest place to put an ATA port IMO. But other than that I still recommend the DS3.

The P5B Deluxe as only one extra internal SATA port than the DS3. The E-SATA may not even be used at all. As for the DS3's color scheme, I happen to like it. Doesn't offend my eyes at all. Don't judge a board on it's looks.

If you need a firewire port, just pick a $9 to $15 add-on card that comes with three or more firewire ports. Thats more cost effective.

It is only 30 dollars more, but it uses Micron D9 chips and will give you more OC room. (those sticks you listed will not pass 400 FSB very easily) Keep in mind this is only if you get an exceptional CPU chip... 400fsb / 800 mhz will stil get you to 3.6 GHz regardless.

Umm I don't know what you're talking about but the G.Skill RAM Odin75 selected can easily hit 3.6Ghz since its native speed is 400Mhz. 9 x 400Mhz = 3.6Ghz.

Also the average OC for that RAM is around 420 to 450Mhz. So Odin75 made a good call on that. Speaking of which, Odin75, nice job on the research!

Not. In 6 months to a year, any single card will BLOW away SLI. The cycle repeats..

Yes 680i is a great board. I have two of them.. but they are more expensive, they run hot, and they are loud.
Yeah but you gotta ponny up for a new card which will run you $$$. A older version of the card you originally bought will be cheaper than purchase a brand new top-of-the-line card. Btw please disregard the speakers I recommended. :p

Both mobos can reach 500Mhz but seriously, I don't think the OP is aiming to shoot that high.

Right but with 500+ fsb boards, you can lower the multi and lock it into the 1333 strap. Since the front side bus is related to memory thoughtput it is worth it to spend 30 dollars extra on ram and have a faster system.

Umm I don't know what you're talking about but the G.Skill RAM Odin75 selected can easily hit 3.6Ghz since its native speed is 400Mhz. 9 x 400Mhz = 3.6Ghz.

Also the average OC for that RAM is around 420 to 450Mhz. So Odin75 made a good call on that. Speaking of which, Odin75, nice job on the research!

eh hem

Yeah but you gotta ponny up for a new card which will run you $$$. A older version of the card you originally bought will be cheaper than purchase a brand new top-of-the-line card. Btw please disregard the speakers I recommended. :p

Yes the older version of that card will be cheaper (not by much though) but it just won't give you the same amount of performance that a newer single card of equal value will give you. Also, if you sell your old video card, you can put the moeny towards a new card.

@buffbiff21

My bad. Didn't see that.

The speakers you specced take a digital input. Getting ANY sound card given that is a waste since the external DAC will be doing the work, and many contemporary motherboards already have digital output (including the Gigabyte board you linked).

For $300+ on speakers, I would be looking at or at least considering some bookshelves + a receiver (Onkyo has some good ones that are still cheap, especially if you don't mind a refurb that gives you a 1yr instead of 2yr warranty). I just came from hearing various fugues by Bach played on a pipe organ, so my tolerance for computer speakers may be a bit lower than usual. If you're not sure about this, look up your local Best Buy, their Infinity bookshelves are pretty well regarded for the cheap end of "real" speakers. If you go with "computer" speakers, Logitech is pretty good. I have a set myself, the main issue is just to make sure the wires aren't going past anything carrying mains current or you'll get interference - which goes for any non-digital speaker wire (the Z-5500 "digital" speakers still transmit analog between the controller's DAC and the speakers themselves, which is where you need to be careful). Klipsch is also worth looking into in that price range, but again is probably inferior to even cheap "real" speakers. Any of the above will likely still be better than you're used to and keep you satisfied for quite a while.

Might consider 1x500GB over 2x320GB. Two drives helps with video editing, but increases the chance of a failure as there are double the parts. Whatever floats your boat here though, and I'm glad you did your research on the RAID issue (damn RAID 0 fad just won't die...:confused: ). You're the only one that knows how major or minor a concern the video work is.

Aluminum cases aren't really all that significant, although the 120mm fans are nice. Your case-choosing criteria seem to center around "looks nice" with the window and the aluminum, and Lian Li does do that (except that weird snail case, what's up with that?). I'd pimp the Antec SOLO case because it's quiet as hell while being great for cooling, but no windows here. Mid-tower in general tends to be good for cooling because the volume of air the fans have to deal with is lower.

E6320 is worth considering over E6600 if you want to shave some cash off since you plan to overclock.

The Saitek keyboard's keys feel sort of wobbly, and this gets worse with use. May or may not bother you, I touchtype and <3 mechanical keys, so my preferences don't necessarily translate to a typical experience.

SLI is generally a waste (except maybe at 2560x1600). Not only do you not actually get double the performance, you quite frequently get very marginal gains if any perceivable gains at all. In exchange, you get the power draw and heat production of two high end cards.

EVGA is a great choice on the vid card, their post-sale support is extraordinary.

680i does run hot.

I see a 3k budget and I don't see a 8800gtx...

good choice on the westinghouse :)

Like some people have said, I'd cut back on the sound card to a xtreme gamer and get some cheaper speakers or a full on onkyo home theater in a box system...

Your original build was fine.

While SLI would be a nice option to keep open, a single GTX could handle the westy. However, to get the GTX, you'd need to shave $180 (and another $260 if possible). So, if you really want the GTX, it is possible wihtout sacrificing much....
- $15 - DS3 from clubit.com instead
- $25 - PC-7B that BBQ linked instead
-$140 - use onboard HD Audio instead (upgrade to a soundcard later)
-$165 - Logitech THX Z-5300e 280W instead (no need for >500W spkrs in a small/medium room)
===========
~$345 saved (give or take a few for more/less shipping charges)

FYI, the westy goes on sale for $999 usually... you can wait for it if you want (estimated to be back in stock at the egg on june 8th).

Yeah but you gotta ponny up for a new card which will run you $$$. A older version of the card you originally bought will be cheaper than purchase a brand new top-of-the-line card.

Lets look at my situation as an example as to why SLI as an upgrade path is a bad idea, unless you buy the latest and greatest to power a new, much larger monitor....

Say I get a 24" LCD... I could throw down $150 for another 7800GT; or I could simply sell mine for $150. If I sell it for $150, that gives me a $300 budget. With that budget, I could pickup an 8800GTS, which would outperform two 7800GTs in SLI.

WOW, lots of reply.

Well, I won't go for SLI for several reasons. First, If I do, I might have to change that power supply. Second, I'll be wasting part of the money by doing it since I don't get double performance. I'll rather get a GTX than run SLI on the GTS.

About the hardrive. Well, Having 2x320gb gives me 140gb extra over a single 500gb, for only a $30 increment. Also, I prefer 2 HDD, for security. Imagine 1 of them fails, and then I have to return it for replacement. I won't be able to use my PC for who knows how long, until I receive another one. But with 2 drives, I can always run windows out of one of them in case a HDD fails. Also, 10kRPM are just too much. I currently have a Sata 150 drive, which is slower than this, and I'm fine with it. So this should be a nice upgrade from what I have now. Also, 10kRPM drives are too expensive.

I'll use computer speakers since I game most of the time, and that's the only way to get the EAX 5.0 from the X-fi. So yeah, if I go with onboard audio I'll loose all that good stuff. I do know that home theater setups are better, but for my budget, computers seem good. I know computer speakers have those short RCA cables, but the Z-5500 have a different version that comes with regular speaker wires, which are longer.

About the processor, I was considering that e6320 too. That way I'll save some money, since both processors are the same, except the Ghz, which I'll change anyways. But, If I get the e6420, will I have more chances of reaching higher Ghz than with a e6320?

I know they have the PC-7 case from newegg cheaper, but they don't have a window for it. And If I buy the window separate, it actually comes out more expensive. I've already done the match. I just love the look of this case, which is good since that's what I'll be looking at everyday. But also, seems to offer decent ventilation. Also, has 4x5.25" drive bay, and 2x3.5" drive bays. I just don't see the point of getting a case with a million drive bays which I'm not ever gonna use. So this looked good.

So yeah, I'm now looking for ways to save money. Not to spend more. Remember, I'll be paying all this myself, and I'm not rich. I don't want the most powerful computer in the world, not a pc that is good at something but sucks at something else. I want something powerful all around. I'll be looking at different places where I can buy stuff to save some more money.

About the processor, I was considering that e6320 too. That way I'll save some money, since both processors are the same, except the Ghz, which I'll change anyways. But, If I get the e6420, will I have more chances of reaching higher Ghz than with a e6320?

Actually, the E6320 is different from the E6600 because it has a 7x multiplier where as the E6600 has 9x multiplier. Overclocking with a 7x multiplier is a bit more difficult than a overclocking with a 9x multiplier. You will also need a better RAM to compensate for the higher overclock. A good middle ground would be the E6420. It has an 8x multiplier, is cheaper than the E6600 and will let you use that G.Skill RAM you selected.. The average OC with the E6420 is around 3.2 to 3.4Ghz I believe.

Also, I prefer 2 HDD, for security. Imagine 1 of them fails, and then I have to return it for replacement. I won't be able to use my PC for who knows how long, until I receive another one. But with 2 drives, I can always run windows out of one of them in case a HDD fails.

I'm something of a storage nut, so I have way way too many hard drives around and hadn't even thought of that. Either way you're getting right around $0.20/GB, which is about as good as hard drive prices usually get.

This may be worth considering, 300GB for $20 less per drive.

I'll use computer speakers since I game most of the time, and that's the only way to get the EAX 5.0 from the X-fi.

You do need the sound card for EAX 5.0 (some of Realtek's onboard chips claim to support EAX, but it doesn't work very well - it can have a negative impact on music quality so I tend to avoid EAX).

If you use your sound card's analog outputs, it will have already done its thing no matter what kind of speakers you hook up.

The next is partly based on deduction, so if it's important to you it would be good to verify. If you use digital output (coax/optical), it may preclude using EAX and leave all processing up to the external DAC (in the z-5500 controller in your case). The situation I believe to be most likely is that the sound card handles EAX before it attempts to convert the audio signal to analog (which has to be done at some point since the driver for your speakers is an electromagnet and doesn't grok 1s and 0s). If this is true, it shouldn't matter what you hook up to your sound card as the work will be done before it ever leaves the computer, and you can use whatever speaker setup tickles your fancy.

I think the odds of breaking 3GHz are relatively even all around - although for any CPU there's the chance it won't overclock much at all, and if you get a dud E6320 it will be slower than a dud E6600. But I don't believe the odds of that happening are very large, in fact it looks like the chances of making it over 3GHz with any of the above are pretty good.

Dont go SLI. I would get a GTX.

Definitely get an E6600, especially with that RAM you've chosen.

Go with the x2 Seagate 320. 7200.10. It's a safe bet because they're quiet, and like you said you have backup.

Not sure if you want used, but this guy is selling XtremeMusic for $50 This will save you about 100 bucks. ;)

Your build looks truly great. it's clear to me - and all of us, that you've put a lot of effort into research. Enjoy it when you get it. :)

Your build looks truly great. it's clear to me - and all of us, that you've put a lot of effort into research. Enjoy it when you get it. :)

Yeah, rarely do we see people who put this much research for their first build. Nice going man!

So just to recap:

- Build is good as is except for the monitor.
- Get 2 x 320GB
- Stay with the E6600 or if you're strapped for cash, the E6420
- Don't go SLI (Just beating this over your head :) )
- With any C2D CPU, you can easily hit 3.0GHz with cheap RAM
- Definitely go enginurd's suggestions on how to save a bit of money

I've run across a few things today saying that surround over digital doesn't work for Creative cards. Don't usually use sound cards myself so no first hand experience here. If true, and you get the card listed, the "digital" aspect of the z-5500s will be extra $$ for nothing (sorry to keep attacking the speakers!).

What motherboard are you going to go for, then?
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but, have you considered getting a motherboard using the new P35 chipset?

Dump the piece of crap DS3 and get a P35 motherboard.

Dump the Scythe Ninja + and get a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme.

I say go for the 8800gtx..and as for the monitor..you can get a awesome 22 for 300$..but the jump to a 24 will cost you almost another 500$..I guess the monitor all depends on your preference, but a 22 is still a big monitor.

Now why would you call the DS3 a piece of crap? It overclocks nicely and is very affordable. There is no hard performance numbers yet for the P35 so at least just tell the guy to wait till P35 comes out.

I see a few votes for an Asus P5B motherboard. I'd recommend that, definitely. I just got mine and I'm loving it. It is absolutely LOADED with features, and the P5B-Deluxe supports SLI. Believe me, in a year or so when there are better, faster, expensive cards out, you can chuckle to yourself as you buy a (now discounted) additional video card and get a 35+% performance boost for a $250 investment, instead of spending $600 or more for about the same increase.

Everything else looks good, but you are contradicting yourself as far as the vid card goes. You say you want a good single slot solution, but you don't have a GTX. Get that 8800 GTX. It will be worth it in the end. (Cast my vote for the BFG 8800GTX OC2. That card is a beast!)

I might recommend my new monitor as well, the Dell 2407 WFP. It is amazing. Without a doubt the greatest thing ever. The Westinghouse is nice, but the Dell is only $569 plus shipping, which was free last time I checked. For that kind of price, compared to the Westy, there was no real choice but the Dell to me.

Now why would you call the DS3 a piece of crap? It overclocks nicely and is very affordable. There is no hard performance numbers yet for the P35 so at least just tell the guy to wait till P35 comes out.
Why? Look at how many problems are present for the DS3 at the forums. I've had 2 DS3's and they're both plagued with problems, especially the cold boot.

You're telling me that he's buying a $3000 computer and he's going to use an outdated cheap low quality board?

There are no performance numbers for P35? Where the hell have you been? Under a rock?

The P35 kicks the 965P and the 680i chipsets' ass.

Dont go SLI. I would get a GTX.

Definitely get an E6600, especially with that RAM you've chosen.

Go with the x2 Seagate 320. 7200.10. It's a safe bet because they're quiet, and like you said you have backup.

Not sure if you want used, but this guy is selling XtremeMusic for $50 This will save you about 100 bucks. ;)

I'm trying to keep that e6600 as much as possible.
As far as the sound card, I already have a X-Fi XtremeMusic. But the thing is that I have to look for another one since I'll be giving this whole system to my sister as an agreement. I was maybe thinking, as somebody said before, use onboard, and then buy a card later on. I might settle an agreement with my sister and use the X-fi for a few says, and see how the new Auzen X-FI&#8482; Prelude 7.1 performs. It has all the good sound quality from an X-Meridian, plus the gaming ability of an X-fi. So that looks interesting.

Yeah, rarely do we see people who put this much research for their first build. Nice going man!

So just to recap:

- Build is good as is except for the monitor.
- Get 2 x 320GB
- Stay with the E6600 or if you're strapped for cash, the E6420
- Don't go SLI (Just beating this over your head :) )
- With any C2D CPU, you can easily hit 3.0GHz with cheap RAM
- Definitely go enginurd's suggestions on how to save a bit of money
Yeah, I'm not one of those people that say "Build me a Pc", and thats it. I actually enjoy doing research since I learn a lot in the process.
So yeah, the SLI is a No-No, so relax.:p
I'll consider his suggestions. As far as the DS3 goes, yes, it is cheaper in ClubIT. But the thing that worries me is, how is their warranty? Does it compete with Newegg's 1 year warranty? Remember, I wanna have a system that I know I can replace if it breaks down on me 2 months later, for example.
As far as the speakers. I'm considering lower power/cheaper speakers, but there are a few things that still hold me back from doing it.

I've run across a few things today saying that surround over digital doesn't work for Creative cards. Don't usually use sound cards myself so no first hand experience here. If true, and you get the card listed, the "digital" aspect of the z-5500s will be extra $$ for nothing (sorry to keep attacking the speakers!).
Haha, is ok. Well, the z-5500 look sexy no dough. Period. But aside from that, with those speakers I'll be able to connect my TV to it, so I won't use the tv's speaker. Another thing, I really like that it has it's own separate dock, so I can place all my speakers where I feel, and turn them on/off the same way. Plus, comes with a remote control that allows me do pretty much the same thing that with the dock, but from the comfort of my bed.:D And one last thing, the new version of the z-5500 come with regular speaker wires, which are longer than the RCA cables that all other computer speakers come with. Another thing that I like is that the center channel speaker has +7 more watts than the other 4 satellites. That makes them more like real home theater system that have more power center speaker than the remaining ones.
So yeah, there are just way too many things that I like about this speaker that prevent me from letting it go. I know I won't be using them 100%, but is just nice knowing that the power is there. Plus, I think is far as close as I'm going to get to real HT systems for $300.

Dude, you know I'm trying to cut down the prices, right? Doing that will just kill my budget even more.:(

I say go for the 8800gtx..and as for the monitor..you can get a awesome 22 for 300$..but the jump to a 24 will cost you almost another 500$..I guess the monitor all depends on your preference, but a 22 is still a big monitor.
Haha, I was about to tell you guys about something. Well, I went last night to my grandma 's house, which I haven't seen in like MONTHS, and hooked up her computer to her 37" 1366 x 768 HDTV for testing purposes. OMG, was that overwhelming. I was thinking to myself "well, maybe I should let the tv go", but after hooking up that tv to the pc, is was like "Hells NO". I hooked them up through VGA, and the computer recognized the resolution after a restart. I did some testing, and WOW.
Even thinking how that thing would look at 1080p, and with an DVI cable just makes me smile.:) So yeah, the westy is definitely staying.

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1031083933 said:
I see a few votes for an Asus P5B motherboard. I'd recommend that, definitely. I just got mine and I'm loving it. It is absolutely LOADED with features, and the P5B-Deluxe supports SLI. Believe me, in a year or so when there are better, faster, expensive cards out, you can chuckle to yourself as you buy a (now discounted) additional video card and get a 35+% performance boost for a $250 investment, instead of spending $600 or more for about the same increase.

Everything else looks good, but you are contradicting yourself as far as the vid card goes. You say you want a good single slot solution, but you don't have a GTX. Get that 8800 GTX. It will be worth it in the end. (Cast my vote for the BFG 8800GTX OC2. That card is a beast!)

I might recommend my new monitor as well, the Dell 2407 WFP. It is amazing. Without a doubt the greatest thing ever. The Westinghouse is nice, but the Dell is only $569 plus shipping, which was free last time I checked. For that kind of price, compared to the Westy, there was no real choice but the Dell to me.
No, I'm not going with a GTX. I'll rather get the GTS 640mb, and overclock it. That saves me money, plus the performance difference at my resolution doesn't justify the price difference.
About the motherboard, I looked at it. There are several Asus P5B. The deluxe version is way too much, so I'll have to pass on that one. One of my possibilities are there 2:
ASUS P5B LGA 775 Intel P965 Express: $119.99
ASUS P5B-Plus LGA 775 Intel P965 Express: $138.99
And here is what we're comparing it to:
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express: $129.99

So yeah, all of them seem pretty good. All have (1)PCIe-X16, (3)PCIe-X1, (3)PCI slots. I like that the DS3 and P5B-Plus have 6 Sata connectors, but I'll probably won't use more than 4.So, that makes the regular P5B OK!, but is good to have the extra connectos just in case. But what is not OK, is the fact that they placed the extra Sata connector in another place. I would of liked all of them together, so I would attach them all together and hide them.
Something I do like about the DS3 is that it has the PCIe-X16 slot next to the PCIe-X1 slots. That way the video card will most probably cover those slots, and leave the regular PCI slots free, and we know that most hardware is PCI compatible than PCIe-X1.
Lastly, the P5B-Plus matches my black case. LOL:p

Why? Look at how many problems are present for the DS3 at the forums. I've had 2 DS3's and they're both plagued with problems, especially the cold boot.

You're telling me that he's buying a $3000 computer and he's going to use an outdated cheap low quality board?

There are no performance numbers for P35? Where the hell have you been? Under a rock?

The P35 kicks the 965P and the 680i chipsets' ass.
Can you plz provide link? And if they are too expensive, I'll have to pass it on. Anyways, expensive motherboards are not gonna give me the performance that an expensive CPU or GPU will give me. That's why I'm not going too crazy on it.

No, I'm not going with a GTX. I'll rather get the GTS 640mb, and overclock it. That saves me money, plus the performance difference at my resolution doesn't justify the price difference.

I totally disagree with this. I have a Westinghouse 37" and I can tell the difference w/my OC'd GTX vs an OC'd 640mb GTS easily.. and that's in current games. I would suggest a 8800gtx for any new gaming system at anything over 1680 x 1050. Otherwise a GTS can manage.

Just wait until all the DX10 games come out and the difference will be even more noticable... and turn on all the eyecandy and it will be huge.

Back