Help! (apologies for another "Which 2GB Set?" thread)

Craptacular

Limp Gawd
Yeah, I know...

Anyway, I'm selling my TCCD kit and jumping on the 2GB bandwagon. I'd like to keep the budget at under $230 shipped, so that kind of limits my options.

I'm running a 3200+ Winnie @ 2.6 (10x260 - plenty of overhead left, but I like keeping the temps as low as possible) on a DFI Ultra-D, running 1:1 with my TCCD. Bearing in mind that some 2GB kits seem to have difficulty in running with dividers, my primary goal in this is getting something that will run without killing my CPU OC (preferrably without weeks of constantly tweaking settings).

Note: links are to products at Newegg, but are found within my budget elsewhere.

Set #1:
Patriot Exteme Performance (LLK) 2x1GB
Runs 2-3-2-5 @ 200, but many have reported good luck in getting higher freqencies with eased latency settings.
Link to 2GB Patriot set at Newegg

Set #2:
G.Skill "ZX" 2x1GB
Posts at Xtremesystems have shown some great OCs for the money, yet they haven't been around long and the jury is still out on performance consistency or product quality.
Link to G.Skill set at Newegg

Thoughts on the pros and cons of choosing either? Any 2GB options I'm overlooking within my budget?

Looking to buy VERY quickly, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

:eek: ECLIPSE SUGGESTING SOMETHING OTHER THAN CRUCIAL????

;)

Yeah, I've been eyeing that set, but it's juuuuust out of my budget. I may have to stretch myself a bit if I don't want to gamble, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

(cf)Eclipse said:
a $1.15 more than the patriot you linked. ;)

Linked to Newegg for convenience. $35 cheaper total at Outpost ($105 per single 1GB module).

Of course now I'm wondering if I really can't just live without buying FEAR for another couple of weeks if I spring for the G.Skill PC4000...

Must... overcome... cheapskate... nature...

get the pratriot then, i wasn't aware they could be had for that cheap ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
get the pratriot then, i wasn't aware they could be had for that cheap ;)

Well, that would have been fine, but now I have to talk myself out of going overboard and getting the HZ set. ;)

The Patriots are looking better to me than the G.Skill ZX set, considering some of the hinky stuff being posted at xtremesystems (people claiming to get refurbed kits, one guy getting a set with no heatspreaders and ICs that clearly say ZX, etc.).

that's strange on g.skill's part. is it vendor related or g.skill related?
either way, the patriot definitly gets my vote

(cf)Eclipse said:
that's strange on g.skill's part. is it vendor related or g.skill related?
either way, the patriot definitly gets my vote

I'm really not sure. The G.Skill tech in the thread said he'd look into it, but he had just gotten back from vacation. My gut reaction was that it was a shady vendor, but the chips were printed with the G.Skill logo and ZX at the end of the code. Strangely, it looked like Infineon memory in the photos, while the ZX'es were rumored to be supplied by some obscure manufacturer in Taiwan.

People are posting some seriously good benches considering the price (260s or 270s usually), but there's something weird about the whole thing.

Thanks for your advice. I think the ZX'es were a big gamble that had a chance of paying off, and while the Patriots may not have a reputation for freakish OCs they are at least fairly consistent.

...and I'd like being able to buy any of them, but it looks like my buyer is backing out. :mad:

I guess that just gives me some more time to over-research this before purchasing. ;)

NOOOOOO!!!!!

Dang it. Found a buyer for my memory, went to Newegg all ready to pull the trigger on the G.Skill HZ set, added to cart and...

:mad: Out of stock :mad:

God must either hate me or just not want me to buy a 2GB kit. I shall discuss this with the dog next door, sacrifice a live goat and hot-glue tarot cards to my nipples while awaiting further instructions from the other side.

Back