*Help* Asus P8P67 PRO + XFX 6850 = BIOS problems

JoshNYC

n00b
Just replaced my GTX 460 with a Radeon 6850 (due to some testing reasons that I won't go into here). When I booted up the 6850 the first thing I noticed was missing type on the POST screen under the American Megatrends logo. I was able to get into Windows and everything ran fine. However, when I tried to get into the BIOS setup screen it just froze. I did a CMOS reset and tried that only to see video garbage on the screen and no joy on BIOS setup or boot.

I called XFX and they told me that they thought the card was probably bad. So, I RMA'd it and NewEgg shipped me a replacement overnight. I installed the replacement card and have seen the exact same symptoms. Have tried everything (unplugging all the drives, single stick of RAM with 2 different ones, a different PCI-E slot on the motherboard, flashing the BIOS with the latest version, etc). No luck.

If I plug the GTX 460 back in all is fine.

Here are my details. Any ideas? So far this is a complete mystery.

Details:
Corsair 650TX
Asus P8P67 PRO B3 (currently using default BIOS/UEFI settings)
XFX Radeon 6850 (dual fan, single 6-pin power connector)
i7-2600k
Ripjaws 8GB
Antec 300 case

I think I'm making a bit of progress on this. Looks like it's going to need a fix from either XFX/AMD or ASUS or both:

Please help me test my theory...

Motherboards with UEFI seem to have an issue correctly displaying the BIOS/UEFI setup and logo/POST screens when running Radeon 6xxx video cards to a 720p or 1080p display. The OS works fine (Windows 7) but boot screens can display garbled video, missing text, or just black.

The culprit appears to be:
A UEFI motherboard (Asus, MSI, Asrock, etc)
with Radeon 6xxx chipset
output to a 720p or 1080p display via HDMI->HDMI or DVI->HDMI

If you can take just a few minutes to plug your setup into a 720p or 1080p display, what I'm wondering is:

1. If others will experience the same symptoms with a UEFI mobo + Radeon + 720/1080p
2. If the connection type matters (DVI vs HDMI etc)
3. If the brand and chipset (6850 vs 6870, 69xx, 6xxx, 5xxx) matters
4. If the motherboard BIOS version matters

If you have a 720/1080p display and can try booting with you computer connected via HDMI or DVI it would be very helpful to know your experience.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Does the same here with a Asus P67 board / GTX280.

Looks like it's the timing of the 1024x768 screen that is being used,
and how your monitor and video card handle it, some cant.

My Panasonic monitor displays only a part of the image.

Asus seemed uninterested in the problem when I reported it to them :(

All they need to do is offer 720p output instead of 1024x768.

How did you report it to them? There seem to be reports scattered around. How can we get their attention?

Yes, it's working if I use a DVI->VGA adapter and plug into the projector via VGA. Of course that has other issues at an OS level.

Come on Asus! This is probably an easy fix. I haven't seen Gigabyte boards having this issue.

Back