Help - BitTorrent and Kerio Personal

Carnival Forces

Supreme [H]ardness
hey, my friend has a Westell WireSpeed DSL Modem/Router (model A90-210030-04 , now discontinued) that's refurbished. at any rate, i don't think it has a firewall

his downloads were going slow so i showed him how to forward ports, and it went from ~4 to 80+ kBps, needless to say he was happy.

however, upon discovering the lack of a firewall, i promtply downloaded Kerio Personal Firewall (version 4 i think?); unforunately, i have no idea how to create an application specific rule to allow btdownloadgui.exe to use the specified port range!

i tried doing it with a "packet filter" rule but that doesn't seem to work--it's like Kerio is slowing down his downloads again.

this friend doesn't know much about computers, so if i can't get his d/ls to go faster again he will stop running a firewall--any firewall, at all.

help, please.

1.) remove the exe from the network security list.
2.) make the exe try to connect to the net (Kerio should popup a box asking you if you want to permit the app to connect. )
3.) Check "create a rule for this communication and don't ask me again"
4.) Check "create an advance filter rule"
5.) click "advanced filter rule" button
6.) configure ports etc.
7.) once you are back and the main part of the dialog, click the permit button

it never pops up asking me for a rule, and it's moot now since i left his house--he's running the Windnoes firewall =\

thanks anyway.

Back