Help (cable comp's dvr of my own)

d3fc0n5

Limp Gawd
Hey guys ive been looking in to bulding a HTPC for a few months now but now ive got to figure out that do to. Ive got a chioce get rid of Starz or my DVR from the cable company.( got to cut down on bills)

Now the problem im having is I have to use an Cable box for my digital cable if i dont im limited to the lonly 55 basic cable chans.

Now my question is Now would i setup a HTPC to record all my shows just like my DVR

what TV tunner should i use?
Will it work?
Windows Media center?Mythtv?etc.........

Thanks for any help

Edit also Is there any ones that dotn have a monthy fee?

i was wondering the same thing, but the problem i see is that when you hook up cable to your tv you get basic cable. If you hook a digital cable box and to the tv then you get all the extra channels that you payed for. I'm thinking they encode the special channels or something and the box is able to decode while the tv isn't.
By the way i'm not trying to steal cable, i just want to set up an htpc system.

i was wondering the same thing, but the problem i see is that when you hook up cable to your tv you get basic cable. If you hook a digital cable box and to the tv then you get all the extra channels that you payed for. I'm thinking they encode the special channels or something and the box is able to decode while the tv isn't.
By the way i'm not trying to steal cable, i just want to set up an htpc system.
You are correct that the digital channels are encrypted so you must use the set top box, but it can still be done. I’m recording a digital channel right now while I’m typing this.

You need some form of IR blaster connected to you digital set top box. It then changes the channels on schedule when the PVR software tells it to. You also take the Svideo/composite output from your STB and connect it to the A/V inputs of a PVR card, like the pvr150-retail, you want to use.

Check out this Digital cable wiki and link for further info.

Back