Help! Can't remove accelero x2 from x1900!

gersson

Limp Gawd
I tried everything -- the sucker won't let go...
Anyone have any experience with this?

Tell me about it! I was installing it only to notice that the holes were not properly align. I try to pull it off and man it was stuck. What I did was to grab the video card in one had and the cooler in the other and rotate it in opposite directions. But if yours is installed you may want to get it real hot first by running some intensive 3d application.

Well, it didn't work... but my temps dropped by like 10C under load... weird.

:-D

Maybe if I try it longer.

Call the manufacturer. (Seriously I broke a GFX card once and I called them and they told me an easy way, forget what it was)

I recently bought an x1800xt from a guy and he said he had already broken 2 accelero x2 coolers trying to remove them. He wouldn't touch the one I bought...

Goodluck...

couldn't get it off for the life of me...

Ended up doing something else! Modded my Antec P-180. I made a hole to fit a 120mm fan right above my x1900!

Mobo temp went down 10c and my cards load temp went from 80C to 65C!

:)

I will contact Artic Cooling about me sending my card over to them so that they remove their trash :)

There are a few things you can try. First, you can try putting the card under a load to get the thermal compound warmed up and at least partially liqified so that it would be less like a glue and more pliable. Second, you could try a razor blade and some crafty twisting between the cooler and the GPU (or whatever seems to be sticking).

krameriffic said:
There are a few things you can try. First, you can try putting the card under a load to get the thermal compound warmed up and at least partially liqified so that it would be less like a glue and more pliable. Second, you could try a razor blade and some crafty twisting between the cooler and the GPU (or whatever seems to be sticking).

I wish that were the case but its evident that the ram thermal pads are the ones causing trouble...

So this is now a warning -- dont get an accelero x2 unless you're willing to never take if off.

Just a gesture, lay the card a couple of hours in the freezer? (wrapped in plastic)

Putting the card in the freezer won't hurt it. Done it a million times.:)

What is amazing is that there is no mention of this anywhere. Why in the world would they put such a strong glue and not only that but on both sides!!!!! By doing that there is like zero tolerance for user mistake. I wish I knew before I bought it. I would have taken more care from the start to not make a mistake. It is working ok but a couple of the thermal pads got messed up when it came off. Also how about including extra thermal pads in case you mess them up.
How about explaining in the directions about this issue. How come people that do reviews on the cooler never said anything about it?

eat2na said:
What is amazing is that there is no mention of this anywhere. Why in the world would they put such a strong glue and not only that but on both sides!!!!! By doing that there is like zero tolerance for user mistake. I wish I knew before I bought it. I would have taken more care from the start to not make a mistake. It is working ok but a couple of the thermal pads got messed up when it came off. Also how about including extra thermal pads in case you mess them up.
How about explaining in the directions about this issue. How come people that do reviews on the cooler never said anything about it?

That's exactly the issue @ hand... any way to get the word out?

gersson said:
couldn't get it off for the life of me...

Ended up doing something else! Modded my Antec P-180. I made a hole to fit a 120mm fan right above my x1900!

Mobo temp went down 10c and my cards load temp went from 80C to 65C!

:)

I will contact Artic Cooling about me sending my card over to them so that they remove their trash :)

what???

65*c is still very hot man! i thought those Accelero's were supposed to be good!?

why are you guys gluing the cooler to the card?

i dont understand?

nobody_here said:
what???

65*c is still very hot man! i thought those Accelero's were supposed to be good!?

i dont understand?
You are ONE confused man :confused:

Since when is 65C bad for an x1900xtx? Did I say I glued it on there on purpose? No. I wouldn't come here and bitch about the accelero x2 being stuck if I had purposely super glued it on my card

:eek: :confused:

gersson said:
You are ONE confused man :confused:

Since when is 65C bad for an x1900xtx? Did I say I glued it on there on purpose? No. I wouldn't come here and bitch about the accelero x2 being stuck if I had purposely super glued it on my card

:eek: :confused:

well sir, i have been doing the aftermarket cooling thing for a long time now, and i havent had this kind of trouble ever

and 65*c just seems hot....but then again, i guess the R580 is the "Prescott" of GPU's.......

Alot do not have this issue, because we removed the stock goop, and used AS5 when installing the X2 in the first place.

The freezer is the best idea, if it is surface tension in the goop doing the holding. If so, the hotter the goop the harder it will hold. Freeze it, it will solidify, and twisting will BREAK the goop up and it will let go.

The more I read about aftermarket cooling for X1900XT, especially Accelero X2 and the Zalman 900F, the more convinced I am that keeping my stock cooler was smart. This is scary stuff! Ok it makes a proper din when I play games, but Im using phones anyways.

I wonder why Arctic Cooling left the old design instead of this strange "Lets fry your motherboard" design?

xX_Jack_Carver_Xx said:
Alot do not have this issue, because we removed the stock goop, and used AS5 when installing the X2 in the first place.

The freezer is the best idea, if it is surface tension in the goop doing the holding. If so, the hotter the goop the harder it will hold. Freeze it, it will solidify, and twisting will BREAK the goop up and it will let go.

Sir, I used AS5 also. I mentioned many times that the ram thermal pads are the issue.

And yes, keeping the default cooler is smart.

the default cooler on my XTX is loud!
used 2 b quiet. and now wen i play HL2 ep 1 it whines uppppppppppp. same with CS:S.
heck even WOW makes it get loud @ times. I am seriously thinking of a X2. my only concern is when its time to RMA the card for some reason - hope it never comes 2 that. and ill have 2 take the X2 off and then iam gonna get screwed over like u guys....

hmmmmmm.

I also have this problem and i've seen people post about it before... The only option is to cut them off with a thin blade which I'm not willing to do..

Also been having a discussion with someone on FM who thinks that if you can't remove it, you are an incompetent noob.. Hopefully he will come and share his knowledge with us.. :p

nobody_here said:
what???

i dont understand?

Uhm.... because they are not loud? The temps are comparable to what the ATi cooler gets at 100%. ie. WHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIRRRRRRR!!!!!! Buying an aftermarket cooler for overclocks is almost pointless. I gain 30 to 50 MHz with waterblocks. These things by rule do not make your system a monster overclocker. Period. Not artic cooling, zalmans, heck not even thermalright. The biggest purpose is to control noise.

Back