help connecting equipment together

robman_rob

Limp Gawd
if you have a computer, tv, ps3 and home theatre with receiver.

how do you connect everything together so that:

1. the pc can output video to the tv, sound to the home theatre?
2. ps3 outputs sound to the home theatre and video to the tv?

soundcard is X-Fi Fatal1ty ExtremeGamer

also, please tell me what cables I need to buy :)

thanks!

Last edited:
We need more info. Like what kind of connections does the receiver have. HDMI? Component? What kind of connections on the TV?

And the type of video card the pc has. Does it have a native HDMI port?

The ideal way would be to run hdmi from both the pc and ps3. Simple, and it only involves 3 HDMI cables.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

tv :

Input & Output(Side)

HDMI 1
composite (AV) 1
S-Video No
Headphone No
WISELINK (USB) 1

Input & Output(Back)

HDMI 3
composite (AV) Common Use for Component Y
S-Video No
PC input (D-sub) 1
Component(Y/Pb/Pr) 3
RF input 1
Headphone No
Video Monitor out, L/R 1
Optical sound out 1

i figured out how to connect the ps3 to tv / reciever, but i'm not sure how to make sound from my pc go to the receiver (home theatre), any ideas?

i figured out how to connect the ps3 to tv / reciever, but i'm not sure how to make sound from my pc go to the receiver (home theatre), any ideas?

SPDIF Port on the mobo? The sound card is useless in this application since the Receiver can do all of the processing. Sell it or use in a system that uses PC speakers.

Here's how I would do it.

PC Video : DVI -> HDMI Cable to HDMI IN 1 on Receiver
PC Sound : SPDIF (Coax or TOSLINK) from mobo to receiver

PS3 Video & Sound : HDMI to HDMI IN 2 on receiver

Then run from HDMI OUT to back of TV with HDMI

Use the TV's internal mute setting

Last edited:
SPDIF Port on the mobo? The sound card is useless in this application since the Receiver can do all of the processing. Sell it or use in a system that uses PC speakers.

Here's how I would do it.

PC Video : DVI -> HDMI Cable to HDMI IN 1 on Receiver
PC Sound : SPDIF (Coax or TOSLINK) from mobo to receiver

PS3 Video & Sound : HDMI to HDMI IN 2 on receiver

Then run from HDMI OUT to back of TV with HDMI

Use the TV's internal mute setting

thanks, I found both Coax and TOSLINK, is there a difference between them in sound quality or something else?

For SPDIF ports (coax / toslink) on mobo - I will have to find the correct drivers to make onboard sound work - I'm running windows 7 and nvidia doesn't have windows 7 drivers for my motherboard.

For the SPDIF port on mobo, will the reciever make it into 5.1 sound?

i'm assuming that "Then run from HDMI OUT to back of TV with HDMI" means from receiver to TV?

and what do you mean by use TV's internal mute setting?

A noob thanks you.

No difference in sound quality between Coax and Optical. Digital is digital...I think optical is better for long distance runs.

Onboard sound for 7 will work with Vista drivers as well. Usually 7 will update the sound driver once you run an update (its an optional one). I have yet to have this be an issue. Just make sure you uninstall of Creatives crapware, select sound in windows control panel and make sure you have the correct header selected as default (Coax or Optical out)

SPDIF on mobo will outout to receiver untouched receiver will output 5.1 if source is 5.1

Yes from "HDMI OUT" on Receiver to "HDMI IN 1" on back of TV. Receiver becomes your Switch between PS3 and PC.

Under setting menu on the TV it should have an option to disable the TV's speakers so sound only comes from the speaker connected to the Receiver.

LMK if you have any additional Q's :D

thanks a lot

i didn't know coax and optical were both digital and could be 5.1 (or whatever the souce is) though just 1 tiny cable.

is a RCA cable the same as a coaxial cable? Because I don't know how to tell the difference

is a RCA cable the same as a coaxial cable? Because I don't know how to tell the difference

RCA is just the name of the connector. The type of cable that RCA connectors is used on is called coaxial because there is one main conductor running down the center of the cable.

Coaxial cable can have many different connectors.

F-Type connectors are used with RG6 coaxial cable to make the cable you use with your TV

RCA connectors are used with coaxial cable to make analog audio interconnects and digital S/PDIF interconnects. (basically the same exact cable but different applications and therefore marketed as being different)

BNC connectors are used with coaxial cable for professional video interconnects.

Only 2 channels on the PC? Check your sound cards utility to make sure that it's set to digital output and also check your codec settings (ffdshow audio or AC3Filter usually), make sure that it's set to passthrough DTS and AC3 (Dolby Digital) directly to the digital output.

Dustin

Back