Help finding 8 pin PSU

lagerter

[H]ard|Gawd
Welcome to noobsville 101 alert. ;)

I am trying to finish a new build for my son. I have:
MSI MS 7246 Ver 2.1 motherboard with a 3.0ghz processor - and he is not into overclocking
1g stick of RAM
low end PCI-e card make and model eludes me ATM
250g IDE HDD until we can go SATA
DVDRW

My problem has been finding a PSU with the P8 connection. I have read conflicting accounts on the use of a P4 to P8 adapter so I would prefer to buy a PSU with the right connectors if at all possible. My budget is a measly $45-50 max. Is it even possible?

Someone sent me an offer on a Supermicro PWS -0045 450w. Anybody know anything about it?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :D

My Thermaltake 750W had an 8 pin connector that snapped apart into a 4+4 connector.

My Thermaltake 750W had an 8 pin connector that snapped apart into a 4+4 connector.

my OCZ GameXSteam 700 Watt also has an 8Pin connector that divides into two 4 pin connectors... highly recommend the GameXstream series psu! :cool:

My Antec SP2.0 has an 8pin. But I certainly wouldn't recommend it =p

Do you need an 8 pin? Many motherboards will work with just the four-pin section connected. Unless you have an overclocked Pentium Extreme, you likely only need a 4 pin supply.

That said, any EPS 12V compliant PSU will have an 8 pin connector.

I don't know if I need it. That's the problem. I have read different reports about it being okay to use just the 4. Then there are others that say you need an adapter otherwise is will melt the connection on the board. Then...there is still another that states it doesn't matter if you use an adapter or not because it will still melt. What's a noob to do??

If anyone can give me answer, I would love to hear it!

What does the MSI manual say? What CPU are you using?

According to the ATX spec, the standard ATX 4 pin can provide two lines at 16A for a PSU with more than 400W output.

Only the most power-hungry CPUs require the 8 pin. It was introduced with the EPS standard to support the Pentium Extreme and similar processors that took a lot of power. The ordinary C2D processors and non-overclocked C2Q as well as many AMD processors will not require such power. If you have a 130W rated CPU and are overclocking it, then you might consider the 8 pin.

im running my p5k with only the 4 pin cpu power. i have a q6600 b3 oced to 3.0 runs 100% stable.

If you look at the onboard 8 pin socket you will see the locking tab on the side is offset (not in the middle)
According to MSI a 4 or 8 pin will work. That being said I would be careful about being too cheap when it comes to Powersupplies.
$50 is the absolute minimum I would spend (better $80 to $100) as long as you dont plan on upgrading in the future.

Look at this PS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104935

Here is one with a 8pin connector
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256037

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't remember what CPU it is - I'm not at home - but he won't be overclocking. I have an Antec but was afraid to use it because of the conflicting reports I've read. Maybe I'll just go ahead and try it and see what happens.

The Corsair VX 550 is an excellent power supply and has an 8 pin connector (4+4). I think the 450 does too, but am less certain. With your specs, 450 should be plenty of power.

cool thank you guys this solved my problem to I was wondering the same thing with the P4 and the P8 thing but yeah thanks guys.

Back