Help fitting a PSU

DarthRay

n00b
Hey folks,

I tried posting this on the PSU forums but had no luck so far.

I need help fitting my regular ATX PSU on my new rackmount Chenbro RM41824 case. As it turns out I mistakenly thought it would take ATX PSUs but it doesn't. It normally comes with a Zippy 960W 1+1 redundant PSU which I didn't get in order to save some money and because I already had a Corsair HX750W lying around.

The space for the PSU in this new case is bigger than your normal ATX PSU. I measured it to be roughly about 6.25" x 4.25" (approximately) while the ATX PSU was something like 5.9" x 3.25" (approximately).

Here's what it looks like right now:

WP_000350.jpg

I plan to call Chenbro and ask about my options, but I have little hope they'll actually help me.

Is there a way to make a regular ATX PSU fit in this rackmount case? I'm thinking that perhaps there's some sort of bracket I can use? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

They make adapters that basically fit like a ring around your psu.

Just google atx psu adapter for some options if that will work for you.

Wow looks like the hole is a bit big.:).Usually an adapter can be found for something like this.

Not sure how good or equipped you are to fab your own adapter, but that wouldn't take much. If you've got some scraps around, just cut them up to bring in the hole pattern to match the PSU.

Thanks for all replies. @Mugzu and @djsi: I've been trying to find an adapter with no luck so far. I even tried Mugzu's search term again this morning. :(

@cmadki4: I'm starting to think fabricating this adapter is my only option. I'm actually getting used to the idea. Will have to read a bit about it though as this will be my first time fabricating anything out of metal. Don't have any scraps around. If you guys have any pointers, please send them my way.

Well, you can either go total pro or you can go ghetto. Depends on your tooling and how good you want it to look, haha.

Ghetto:
If you don't have a lot tooling, but need to mount that PSU, try going to the hardware store and finding a four pre-made flat brackets that you can use to span the space between the case's holes the holes on the PSU. Use bolts and nuts on the case and regular PSU mounting screws on the PSU.

Pro:
Grab your Sharpies, Dremel (or other rotary tool) and a sheet of metal. Aluminum is easier to cut. And don't forget, lots of things around the house are made of nice flat pieces of metal. I've cut up aluminum cookies sheets more than once in my modding life, haha.

1. Trace the case pattern on the sheet and cut it out. Now you have your basic bracket shape.
  2. Now draw your PSU hole pattern onto that piece you just cutout. Drill your holes for mounting and cutout the areas for the power plug and vent.
Alternaive semi-pro:

1. Go to the hardware store and get some thin aluminum stock: 2" x 1/4" x 3ft.
  2. Cut those (qty 2) to span the gap between your case and PSU holes.
  3. Drill your mounting holes. Each will have 4 holes; 2 for the case and 2 for the PSU.
  4. Bolt the piece into the case, then bolt up your PSU to those brackets.
Hard to describe all that without drawing. Pictures are worth a thousand words, but I'm too lazy, so a couple poorly written paragraphs will have to do. :D

@cmadki4, your "poorly written paragraphs" are greatly appreciated. :) I'm going to stop by a hardware store on my way home tonight to see what they have.

Thanks!

Yep! I stopped by Home Depot and got a rotary tool and found a 6"x18" 16 gauge metal sheet which looks good. The also had aluminum but I thought that was too thin (they didn't specify the gauge though).

I still need some sort of clamp to hold the plate while I work on it before I can proceed. None of the ones they had look like what I had in mind. Hopefully I'll find one tonight.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for digging those links, guys. The hard part is knowing the exact dimensions of those adapters to see if they'll fit and that information was not readily available on those web sites. I ended up fabricating a bracket myself over the weekend. Will post pictures soon.

Ok, so I ended up taking a stab at building the bracket myself. I had never done this kind of work before so it was a good challenge. I spent about 2-3 hours cutting, grinding and polishing a piece of sheet metal and ended up with an acceptable solution. Here are a few pictures:

This is the sheet metal cut to fit the opening on the back of the case. I also drew where I was supposed to cut to fit the PSU:

WP_000377.jpg

This is the bracket after cutting the opening for the PSU:

WP_000382.jpg

Chassis PSU opening as it came from the factory:

WP_000393.jpg

Chassis PSU opening with my new bracket in place. The 4 outter holes were drilled and tapped to allow the plate to be secured to the chassis. The 4 inner holes were made a bit larger so the screws could reach the PSU inside the case:

WP_000394.jpg

ATX PSU in place:

WP_000397.jpg

Notice the gaps around the PSU. I did a resonable job fitting the metal plate to the chassis -- it took 2 cuts and several griding sessions and it fits very snugly. The screw holes matched perfectly. I didn't do such a good job with the PSU fitting. The power switch and cord connector on the back of the PSU made it a bit more difficult to get the correct layout traced on paper. That and I also got a bit lazy. :)

In any case, Success! :D The PSU is installed, the system is populated and is running as we speak. Thank you to those who offered to help and posted links and tips. I appreciate it.

So...Good to see you went Pro. Very nice work. I have been contemplating taking out my 3.5 drive bay rack at the bottom of the case to allow more airflow to the back of the case. It is blocking the front intake fan a good bit b/c of the way it faces. It has holes in it but I am still not safisfied I moved my hard drive up to the cd drive bays via an adapter that came with the case. You have inspired me to possibly do some work. I think I will most likely end up throwing another fan up front and just call it a day.

Nice work, DarthRay! If you're worried about the gap between your adapter plate & PSU, you can always pick up some foam weather strip, similar to this, and tape it along the edge of the PSU. Should blend right in, and close up the gap nicely, without costing a fortune. :)

Thanks, guys! @Nivram, I'll check that weather strip when I stop by Lowe's the next time. Thanks for the tip.

Back