Help, I screwed X on KUbuntu 7.10

weasel2htm

Limp Gawd
OK I am a linux noob, but I can follow directions, here is what happend
Everything was running great after updating to 7.10 last night, then I decided I wanted to run dual monitors, TV-out being the second monitor. So I went and set it up in control center, and it instructed me to log off and select "restart X server" (or something like that) and I get an error. Here is what comes up upon boot:

Loading, please wait...
kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/disk/by-uuid/eaa1a723-2185-4239-b1a6-56cbdd30233b) = sda5(0,5)
kinit: trying to resume from /dev/disk/by-uuid/eaa1a723-2185-4239-b1a6-56cbdd30233b
kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot...

Ubuntu 7.10 Petey tty1

I will be happy to answer any questions, I am running an older GeForce FX card, the top system in the signature area.

I'm afraid I won't be a whole lot of help, but that error has nothing to do with your video card or setting up the TV out as a second display I don't believe.

That error looks to be in regards to a physical hard drive or a partition. More than likely I would say physical hard drive as it's looking for a uuid which I believe is an identifier of a physical disk.

Did you disconnect or change around any hard drives at all? It seems like it's looking for something on a specific hard drive but it's not there.

I'm not really knowledgeable about Linux so I could be way off base here. Someone else will have to chime in for a fix for your problem. Hopefully, I'm steering you in the correct direction, though.

That there is some buggy suspend2 hibernate to disk stuff - a friend running 7.10 was having the same problem, and I think that bug is fairly common. I'm not sure whether or not he resolved the issue, but I'll ask him.

Thanks guys, and no, I have not changed anything with the HDD, as is I only run one, but it does have various partitions, a NTFS Storage Partition and a (expired) Vista Partition (which I would like to format sometime).

I need to find a "kubuntu for dummies" book so I can learn more.

to start GDM login prompt from the command linie interface or command line type

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

or change start to stop it.

if it stops and shows a blinking cursor after rc.local scripts then u can type ur username (just start typing) and then ur password

from there type
startx

:) yes the logout button MAY be missing however that's normal when u startX via CLI :)

edit: Oh yeah u can disable GDM and always start up via CLI :) which I do as GDM quit on me plus it's faster.

Thanks, looking forward to trying it tonight.
Let me guess, "gdm" is for gnome.
and "kdm" is for KDE

Didn't work I get the message: "KDM already running"
I did the command with a "stop" and it did some stuff and gave me a blank screen, I could type but it didn't accept my username or any commands I put in.

I'm lost as to what your problem is.

Is it that xorg does not start because of an error? Are you just trying to setup the tv?

The error you posted I always get at boot.

I was trying to setup the TV when the error started, now I can't get into the GUI.

Unless a "miracle solution" comes over the weekend, I'm waxing and reloading (which will allow me to take care of some other issues and to kill the windows partition)

try

Sudo X -configure

and then use the config it creates (as it will tell you)

Well I did what you and it told me to do, I get a gray screen with an X for a mouse cursor. The mouse moves the "X" but nothing else, no HDD activity or anything I'm going to leave it up for a bit to see what happens, if nothing happens before bedtime ( <30 min ) I'll turn it off.

Just so you guys know, I have reloaded kubuntu from scratch and things are usable again. I don't think I'm going to try the TV-out thing for awhile though.

Grrr, it did it again!!
I'm doing a HD diagnostic and reloading and if that does not stop it from happening, I am finding a new distro (or load win2k)

Back