[Help] Intel or AMD quad platform? what is cheaper to build?

amit_talkin

Limp Gawd
Hello Friends,

I own 2 Intel based PCs ( see my system info for details ). Now I m planning to build a Quadcore system for my brother. He usually works on 3DS Max and Autocad. It should be cheaper and faster compared to other rivals. Should I go for AMD or intel? I havent read reviews for latest CPUs for long time so I certainly dont know wht happened so far in CPU market in last 2-3 months!:eek:hwell:. And ofcource I m gonna overclock it on STOCK cooler ( can go for after market but 1st choice is stock cooler , I dont mind if I cant go over 4GHZ) so suggest me accordingely.

I have read that AMD X2 550BE can be unlocked to quad, should I go for it? with which mobo?( cheaper n good ). guys plz suggest me something, I m totally confused after reading too many reviews.

Also, I would be happy if you can tell me hot deals on hardwares u suggest :).

From what I've read, you really shouldnt rely on the idea that you will successfully unlock an AMD processor to quad core. Only a handful of the processors can even unlock, and those that do are a bit of a hit or miss with stability. If you want quad core get a quad core.

The 550BE is a dandy of a processor, but I would strongly lean towards the Phenom II X3 just to have that extra edge with the 3rd core. It's table, it's fast, and dual core is still all you really need right now, so the extra core gives the system some more life as multi-threaded applications continue to advance. 4 cores is really just overkill unless your pc is set up for some very discrete operations, like rendering video, database management etc.

I cant profess to know if 3DS or ACAD are strongly multi-threaded apps, or if they rely a lot of GPU hardware for their 3d rendering. These are workstation class applications so poke around on their forums to see what people are using. If 3ds uses an entirely software based rendering line then I imagine you want as many cores as you can get. But if it's not, then your system might be GPU bottlenecked anyway so a dual core or 3 core system with emphasis on strong video should help balance it out.

Back