[HELP] Issue: gpu memory clock keeps downclocking causing 2ndary monitor to go crazy

ideviouz

Gawd
Hi guys,

I'm actually a bit on my wit's end. I purchased a 27" crossover 2795 a little bit ago and then purchased a 2nd one to attempt to match them. Both are the dvi-only versions but I think my graphics card just doesn't seem to want them to work.

specs: r9 290 reference (replaced with kraken g10 and AIO water cooling system)

they worked fine for a few hours (months back) and then the 2ndary monitor just decided it didn't want to work anymore. Horrible screen tearing and banding... so I assumed it was the monitor dying. This was prior to my changing the reference cooler.

about 4 months later (today) I decided to try to see if the 2ndary monitor worked so I wouldn't have to RMA it and it seems to work (success!) until... 5 minutes later, it started too screen tear and turn to crap again.

but I noticed something strange... where when I was using a 27" 1440p + a 26" 1200p, my gpu memory clock would be locked at 1250mhz...

with both 27" 1440p monitors on, it would drop to 150mhz... and fluctuate which I can't imagine is good.

I've since disconnected the 2nd 27" monitor and my single monitor is running at 150mhz for gpu memory clock.

I'm assuming, though not positive, that having too low of a memory clock wouldn't work for the 2nd monitor... but then the question is..

how do i get my gpu to lock at 1250mhz memory clock minimum? I tried googling this and couldn't find specifically the memory, kept finding core clock (which I don't have an issue with)

anyone, please help!!

Did the stock cooler also cool the card's RAM? Because the AIO doesn't make contact with the RAM chips and only has the one fan blowing air around the card itself. This might be causing the RAM chips to overheat and throttle?

stock cooler had thermal pads that i doubt were doing very much. I have a ton of airflow so all temps I can see are around 39 C to 45 C (granted I'm not playing any games atm but with the stock ref cooler it was all around 62 C).
I actually purchased copper heatsinks and put them on all 16 vram chips.

it isn't throttling due to heat from what i can tell because I just hooked up my 26" 1200p monitor as my secondary and the gpu mem clock goes back to 1250 perfectly.

i'm not sure if there's an issue with the monitors that causes the video card's memory to only go to 150mhz because i've never heard of such a thing.

it could very well be the monitor but it seemed to work fine before turning to hell.
frankly, i'm not sure what the issue really is since it was running fine for 5 or so mins (just desktop) before tearing and banding. But if i send it back and then they test it and it turns out to be fine, i'm probably out $100 just to ship it.

i'm really hoping someone can think of a solution other than me sending it all the back to RMA.

Please keep the suggestions coming, thank you all in advance :)

issue is... stock cooler crashed my second 27" monitor in a minute... and idled at like 60 C. Which was the whole reason I switched to g10 kraken and AIO cooler.

Doesn't seem to work on my end.
Maybe it's a weird fault setting with the monitor in general. Single 27" monitor gives me 150mhz mem clock, while 27+26 doublesight = 1250mhz mem clock. 2x 27" crossover monitors = 150mhz mem clock but bounce back and forth to 1250 for a split second.

I guess I'm unique in this situation.

How are people running dual 27" 2560x1440p monitor configurations?

Back