Help me and I'll pay you

No Upgrade whatsoever. I ran a clean install of XP, then a clean install of Vista and both had the same problems.

As for Orthos, I specified my results above:
My findings after 45 minutes:
The CPU temps seem to top out at around 71-76 (Mostly 74-75) though I saw the vcore stay at 1.23. Is that a problem?
Here's the others:
+3.3 = 3.26 (Went to 3.27 briefly at the beginning)
+5.0 = 4.86
+12.0 = 11.71
1.2VHT = 1.25
SB Core = 1.52
CPU VTT = 1.20-1.31
DDR2 TERM = 1.07
NB CORE = 1.23
MEMORY = 2.16-2.19
MB = 43-44

The games I mentioned crash LONG before 45 minutes. Infernal dies within 5 minutes, hard locking the system. Lord of the Rings Online just straight out CTD's. Neverwinter 2hardlocks.

I can't leave my CPU going all night. It's in my bedroom and under load would turn it into a sauna. (And I'm nervous to let it go without watching it.)

AFAIK hardware cant just not like certain programs, so either its drivers or something those progs do that causes the problem.
1stly id try a new install (id use xp).
second, test everything (as said above).
thirdly, get a new mobo, seems the most likely cause to me.

Re-seated proc and re-applied thermal grease after cleaning it with a lint free cloth. SHould be good. It's hotter in the house today. (It's 23 instead of 17) I've been running Orthos for 6 minutes and both cores are at 56-7 celcius. (Keep in mind it should go down by a few more degrees once the AS5 settles. Should take a week or so and then the temps will drop further.) Is that better? More standard? I dunno. Now to test Lord of The Rings Online.

Update:
LotRO still crashes like crazy, but my temps are MUCH better. At least I have that. Any more ideas?

ok, so what CANT it be?
have you tested: psu, mem and mobo?
the psu could be overheating under load.

To find what version of Striker you have you have to look on the board itself. On the board there is alot of silkscreened on text. If you are looking at the board you can see the Asus branding and where is says Striker. On the board there will also be a place that says revision: or version: . That number is what people are asking for in reference to an early version. It may be something like 1.00a or 1.03b. Usually the revision is next to the board name/model or company name. If you dont find it there look between the pci/pci-e slot and around the perimiter of the board.

I have used a number of Asus boards in the past and I have yet to use one that did NOT have issues if it was a low revision. I have a socket 939 board in one system that got RMAed twice and went from a 1.3 to a 2.1 to a 3.2 in its revision numbers when RMAed. The 3.2 works perfectly to this day. My opinion is that this is because Asus dosent fallow reference designs very often. They create thier own boards and as such go through the same problems any new design goes through. The trouble is that we the consumers get to find the last few issues that they never found in internal testing. Hence the many and running revisions Asus boards go through. Better than releasing it and never fixing the problems though.

This makes Asus boards good and bad. Most times great in late revisions and sometimes absolute nightmares in early revisions.

I just checked. I have Rev. 1.00G. And yes, my temps are better now, but everything is still crashing. From Spider-Man 3, Neverwinter, Infernal... It's a rare case to get a game that DOESN'T crash.

Anyone have anything left?

I had a problem with crashing and lock ups. Changed out the power supply and haven't had a problem since. Perhaps your power supply is at fault?

I don't think so. I've had two in here and they both did it. (One an Antec 550, the other a Corsair 620) Also 2 video cards. No luck.

Two things I can think of:

1) An IDE or SATA cable got scratched/nicked and is having data read errors causing the computer to lose the drive, try to access it, and lock. The cable may LOOK fine, but it could have been bent too much or have a small "whatever" that is causing it to not work properly. I have seen this happen before and cause issues like you're describing.

2) There's a short/ground somewhere in the build (this is hard to track down, but check everywhere, and if you can, blow off under the motherboard with some compressed air, as well as gently on top of it and other components).

P.S. If either of these fix it, save the money and go buy yourself something :D!

1. I've tried doing massive data transfers to see if I'm losing info while hash checking a file. Nada. Did it 4 times and each time the file was fine. (Everything's on SATA)
2. I don't realy think it's a short since it ONLY happens in gaming. It has never dumped me out of Windows.

I can recreate the crash every time, so it's not really random. Thanks for the attempt though. I know this is a long thread you guys, but I truly do appreciate each and every one of you who try to help here. I'm by no means a new user, and I've built thousands of systems for clients, but this just boggles my mind.

This might be obvious, but have you tried underclocking/undervolting your CPU/RAM/Vid Card?

until you rma some parts you cant rule them out. i would do the mobo first.

And there is the problem. I can't. It would shut my business down for as long as that went and I'd lose more than the cost of a new board.

Okay. Now I'm really pissed. I replaced the motherboard with an EVGA 680i Rev. A1 and the same stuff happens! I even changed out the processor! GAH! I've tried elsewhere, but maybe someone here can enlighten me. Is the following problem a driver issue or what:

Playing Infernal (Or any number of games) and all is well. All of a sudden the picture on the screen stops dead. A second later, the monitor goes into standby mode and I have to reset switch the system.

What the crap is going on? Here's my specs:

Core2Quad 6600 (@stock) | EVGA 680i Rev. A1 (.28 BIOS) | 2048MB Team Xtreme (4-4-4-10-2t) | eVGA GeForce 8800 ACS3 GTX (Driver 158.43) | X-Fi Fatal1ty | 1 WD RaptorX 150GB, 1 Maxtor 500GB | SyncMaster 226BW | Corsair 620w PSU | Antec 900 case loaded with fans

Do you have an older video card you can try? A non 8800 series one? Because it only happens during gaming, and everything else seems stable, the video card has to be the problem...

Are you using a wireless card? If so try and move it around to different slots or buy a new one all together. I had this problem a while ago and no one could figure it out on my old machine and it turned out to be my wireless card.

not sure if this has been suggested but id try running with minimum hardware, if that dont work start replacing the hardware that is in the minimum configuration. try the hard drive first then the ram, etc etc etc. im very tired so ill checkback in the morning when my brain has rebooted.

If you're getting a blue screen send me the latest dump file from C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\ and I'll be glad to check it out for you.

Oops, my email address is elektronisch[at]gmail[dot]com

Be sure to mention this forum post so I remember.

Good luck

why are you not setting the vcore in bios to what intel says?

for an e6600 it's 1.325

this is what you said

My proc is a Conroe 6600. It's voltage right now is 1.248v.

I don't understand? Obviously try setting it at 1.325 and increase from there. Seems like you're undervolting for some odd reason.

It was a C2D6600. Now it's a quad 6600. I leave the voltage at Auto for now as it reduces my temps. I figure it's not the proc as I can run Orthos for hours no problems.

And naw, it's not a bluescreen. Like I said, on screen action stops and the monitor goes into standby. I then have to shut down my system using the power button.

No wireless card either. My specs AGAIN are below:

Core2Quad 6600 (@stock) | EVGA 680i Rev. A1 (.28 BIOS) | 2048MB Team Xtreme (4-4-4-10-2t) (Voltage at 2.050) | eVGA GeForce 8800 ACS3 GTX (Driver 158.43) | X-Fi Fatal1ty | 1 WD RaptorX 150GB, 1 Maxtor 500GB | SyncMaster 226BW | Corsair 620w PSU | Antec 900 case loaded with fans

The onboard audio is turned off in the BIOS, correct?

Tried it with the onboard audio instead of the Creative Labs card?

If any of your games support a /nosound switch, I'd try that too.

Back