Help me build an AMD comp

Big Dub

n00b
I'm looking to build an AMD gaming computer for around 1400$, and i'm hopelessly n00b.I'm looking for good parts (deals?) and construction tips, so any suggestions you guys could give me would be appreciated. Pduan is helping me build it so plz ignore his immature redicules. Thanks everybody.

get like.. an opteron 165 and a 7800GTX based computer if you aren't planning to include anything other than the computer in that $1400 budget

i bought all of this stuff in my sig for about $1600 dollars

ahem..
first and most important, the case
i HIGHLY recommend a antec p180
120 bucks

then,. I would get a mobo with the 939 chipset and get a low AMD 64 chip like a 3200 or something cheap like that. this should be 150 or so

the reason for this is a later upgrade path (if your interested in it)
basically, to get the best AMD 64, you would need to dish out 300+ bucks right now.
but if you buy a cheap one now, you will be able to upgrade it to the best of the line some 2 years down teh line for cheap since prices will go down ( and get some money back from the sale of the 3200)

RAM, get something with T1 command timmings (only 2 chips, with a gig total, 2x 512)
200+ (or so)

The kind of vid card you want could determine the mobo you get.(also will determine the powersupply)
I would recomend a card that you can hook up in SLI later on. so get a 7800GT (best bang for buck right now)

powersupply at arounf 500 W 80--100 bucks
get one with modular cables so that you dont have to attach all fo them at once

MOBO SLI, and somethin good (if you picked the p180 case, then pay attention to where the powerpluf on the mobo is, because it can make your life difficult due to the way the case is set up. (make sure you have SATA II and USB II)
150 bucks

I would recommend a Raptor as an OS drive
thats another 150

plus a storage drive (WD Caviar additions that have a 3 year warranty)
another 100-200 bucks

DVD+CD burner 50 bucks

Other options :
Sound card, chances are, you will have an onboard one, but this helps.
another 50 bucks for an audigy 2 ZS

get a good mouse if you plan to game, like a Razer 60 bucks

get more storage...
you can never have too much hard drive space
and if the mobo supports raid, then you might want to consider it.

Definitely get a dual core CPU. There's almost no excuse for not getting one now...except price ;).

Opteron 165 $350 / XP-90 $35 / DFI nF4 Ultra D $125 / 2x512mb Ballistix PC3200 $140 /1x 7800GT $300($270 AR) / 74GB Rapt0r $150 / Antec TPII 550w $85 / Nec DVD Burner $45 / Audigy 2 ZS $75 / You choice of case (something not fugly)

_35
_85
_45
_75
___
1305 + case and maybe $30 shipping..

Learn to overclock... Add a second 7800 GT later

Or sub out the OEM 165(in stock @ monarch) for a retail 170

SomeoneWhoIsntMe said:
Don't get a P180, go for a lian-li or chenming case.

review before you buy
so google all the parts and look at multiple reviews

bt i think that most people dont realize how quiet the p180 is
you can have 2 raptors in it in a raid and you wont even know that pc is on
[ask any who has a raptor about how loud they are]

The P180 is a fantastic case, but wiring in it will be an absolute PAIN. I recommend the SLK3000B instead. No PSU (you pick your own), built well, very quiet (add another slow 120mm fan to the front for maximum airflow), and it is dirt cheap.

ShiShKaBoB has a pretty good config going.

Okay, you obviously don't want to do your own research...fine, no problem. Simply look up a few of the AMD motherboard reviews that HardOCP does, note the system parts they use, and head on over the Newegg.com. Pick an Antec case with a 350+ watt CPU and *poof* you're done. With a $1400 budget you should be able to use near top of the line parts: 7800, dual core AMD, raptor drives, etc.

homersapien said:
With a $1400 budget you should be able to use near top of the line parts: 7800, dual core AMD, raptor drives, etc.

Yepp.

AMD X2 3800+ = $320
eVGA 7800GT = $320
EPoX 9NPA+ = $110
Seagate 160GB = $90
Antec P180 = $120
Antec TPII-480 = $80
NEC 3550-A = $40
Keyboard/Mouse = $50
Monitor = $240

Total: $1410 if my math isn't off.

I think the P180 is great, but it may be a bit too much trouble for a newbie. If you get a P180, make sure the motherboard has good placement for the power connectors. If not, the novel location of the PSU may bite you in the ass.

ShiShKaBoB said:
Yeah, it's quite but it also wieghs about 180lbs! I personally am no fan of heavy cases.

How much do you actually move yours? I think I've moved mine twice since I assembled with it. Once to put in the Opteron, and once to put in the Ninja.

Yeah, the P180 isn't too bad...it's heavy and it was a pain to wire, but other than that I can't complain.

$1400 is a lot of computer money. If you shop around you can get a lot for that kind of cash.

what is your perceived the use of this computer? gaming, web surfing, audi/video processing, server? without knowing that, i could easily spend your money on a system that you would never get close to using it's full potential.

now for my opinion... there is no way i'd drop $1400 on anything right now with M2 on the way. i went for an interum upgrade to a socket 754 A64 system. i simply needed to buy ram, cpu, and mobo and dropped it into my AXP system (i ended up picking up a cheap case as well).

if yu don't have a computer that you can use as a foundation, look at newegg's barebones systems and go from there. you need to have a ballpark idea of what you want to do. if your building an all around machine, you need to know what the most system intensive application is and build according to that. if it's Office, than you can get an S64 2500 and put 1200 in an interest bearing account to save for the M2.

i sure hope the M2 lives up to the hype, otherwise i'll feel stupid

-da baron

Bona Fide said:
How much do you actually move yours? I think I've moved mine twice since I assembled with it. Once to put in the Opteron, and once to put in the Ninja.
I actually dont move it too often maybe twice a month for lan parties.. I own a modded super lanboy.. dont really go by my opinion anyways because I cant stand 99.9% of the cases on the market right now.. I always end up buying one chopping it in half and doing somethign crazy with it.. I like sleek and sexy!

Current Project:

Before:

After:

I've been working so much I havn't had a good time to sit down and think about what's next..

This is my current case.. before my DFI:

Back