help me build for a neighbor.....

blacklotus

n00b
budget is $400 (can be bump up if not enough)

just need:

CPU (prefer Intel, but can go with AMD)
MB (prefer matx, but can go with ATX)
RAM (which ever is best for the MB)
PS
HD (80G would be fine)
CASE

don't need:

VIDEO CARD
OS
CABLES/ACCESSORIES
OPTICAL DRIVES
MONITOR

This computer would only be use for web browsing, light photo editing, light video editing and dvd burning. Don't need fast computer for these task as long as it can do the job. No gaming as of now, but might consider buying a video card later on so MB should be able to handle the add on card.

Thank you very much.

It's more cost-effective to buy a prebuild system for that amount of money. I'm not saying it's impossible to build a system for $400 but with a prebuilt system for that amount, you'd at least get a somewhat free or cheap copy of Windows XP and a coupon for a free upgrade to Windows Vista.

Right now you can get a Dell Demension E521 with an AMD Sempron 3400+, 512MB DDR2 Ram, and 160GB hard drive, for only $399. Or a HP a1410e PC with a AMD Sempron 3200+, 512MB DDR2 Ram (256MB Ram stock + free upgrade to 512MB RAM), and 80GB hard drive for $299.

Cheaper alternatives.

EDIT: Looks likes you can build a MUCH better PC for $400 than the ones I listed:

Intel Pentium D 805 2.66GHz LGA 775 - $93.00
BIOSTAR P4M890-M7 LGA 775 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $52.99
Wintec AMPO 3AMD2800-1G1K-R 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 800 RAM - $99.99
Hitachi Deskstar 7K160 160GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $53.99
XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W ATX 500W Power Supply - $51.99
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 ATX Mid-Tower - $49.99
----
Total: $401.95

Pretty good system for your $400 budget.

The onboard video is sufficient for your needs and there's a PCI-E slot so you can add a video card later.

don't do it unless you like playing free tech support for life

And Don't buy that psu !! Drop an extra 10 bucks and get the XClio 450BL. The TT only has 18a on a single rail, questionable reliabiliy..

I have a Socket A Duron 600 that's collecting dust. Won't do much for speedy editing or DVD burning, but hey, free is a good price. If you want it, PM me with a ship to.

Wow you guys are good. I have headaches just by thinking of which parts to choose, but you guys came up with a list right away. I will show him the list and see which option he's going.

I was thinking of telling him to go with Dell, but i know i can do better just like what Danny Bui said. Many thanks to you guys. I'll keep you guys up to date.

Back