Help me buy an Ethernet analyzer / certification tool

jmroberts70

2[H]4U
So I'm starting to get more involved with commercial Ethernet installations and I think it's time to get an Ethernet analyzer to certify my cabling. My only problem is that the cost of some of these units is just astronomical!! Are there more affordable solutions out there? Maybe around $500 or less?

I was hoping I might even be able to find a unit that just connects via USB to a laptop to do all the testing but it doesn't look like anything like this exists.

I think you need to define what you want:

cable qualifier: tests cabling to see if it will sync up at ethernet rates you need. will do wiremapping, and basic tests. generally under $1000.
*or*
cable certifier: usually includes a TDM and a print out of electrical characteristics for the cable spec you need. Printout usually given to client. Costs several thousand for one of these.

I'd recommend buying a qualifier. That will ensure the runs are wired correctly. Then rent a Certifier when the client asks for a printout that the cable runs meet whatever cable data rates you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38tZZngVHcg

Last edited:
If you're just starting out as a cable installer and only need to certify up to CAT6 and fiber then perhaps consider a second hand Agilent Wirescope 350 kit that can be had for <$1K on Ebay and sometimes on Craigslist. Just make sure it has recent calibration done with certificate, passes calibration test, battery retains charge, no physical damage/broken battery tabs, etc. After you've done a few jobs and/or when business picks up you can upgrade to something nicer but the Wirescope 350 should be sufficient for most cable installation jobs.

Back