Help me convince my friend...

The Goose

Gawd
I recently had an argument over XFire with one of my friends. I recently purchased the Sapphire Ultimate X1950Pro (the one with the Zalman VF900) and he bought an X1950Pro with 512MB of RAM, I don't know who it's manufactured by. He insists that his card is SOOO much better than mine because of the 512MB as opposed to the 256MB. I think it does make it a bit better, but the clocks are more important. Here's an excerpt from said argument:

Him: imsaying that an x1950pro 512 is better than an x1950 256
thegooseisloose: by a very minimal amount, and i can make up for that by overclocking mine b/c of the better aftermarket cooler
Him: lol
Him: imma get lots of posts from this
thegooseisloose: you do realize that no game takes advantage of 512mb, right?
Him: LAWLS
Him: on minimum, yes
Him: on maximum, no
thegooseisloose: the clocks are more important than the amount of memory
Him: and by using what u said
Him: the ram doesnt matter
Him: thats saying that u think that a card with, ehh, 10gb, is nearly the same as 512
thegooseisloose: right now? yes, because no game even uses 512

...later in the convo

Him: and when games like ut07 and hellgate london come out, 512 will be needed
thegooseisloose: not really, morre like a more powerful card than the x1950pro will be needed
Him: no
Him: x1950pro is fine
thegooseisloose: its a great card
Him: but 512 on it is needed
thegooseisloose: no its not
thegooseisloose: it's not a powerful enough card to utilize it
Him: lol
Him: u still dont understand
Him: if anyone would know stuff about those games, it would be me
Him: and what type of company is "sapphire?

So can you help me to convince him that his card is not 10X better and more future-proof than mine because of the 512MB?

Oh yes, this is the same friend who recently insisted that the Core 2 lineup was bad because "they don't support hyperthreading". I changed his mind on that, though.

The 512 on the pro would help with some small stuttering (probably on anything higher then 16x12 on newer games), but wouldn't be anything super outstanding

also, I doubt the extra memory will help that card with hellgate, or UT2k7, the card should have no problems running those games.

maybe with higher resolution textures...but thats about it...

512MB makes some games at higher resolution 1-5% faster but you're right. With UT2007, the X1950Pro will never be able to run it at that resolution even with 2GBs of ram.

OK. Thanks guys. I usually run at 12x10, so I can tell him that it works for me. I don't know what resolution he runs it at, although it's good to hear that this card will run UT2k7. This is my first new card since a Geforce2, so it's a wonderful feeling to get it.

Yeah, he acts like kind of a dick but we both do it, and we're both joking. It's also more just ignorance than being a dick. I just like the "and what type of company is sapphire?" line.

Just tell him Sapphire makes some of the BBA's anyway. More then likely, if he has a Built By ATI card, it's using a Sapphire PCB.

If he thinks he has a clue about graphics cards and then says "who the hell is sapphire?", he should just be ignored because he knows absolutely nothing. Your friend is wrong, and you are correct. I would just wait and laugh when the card he spent 70 bucks more on does not perform any better than your card once UT2k7 comes out.

The Goose said:
Yeah, he acts like kind of a dick but we both do it, and we're both joking. It's also more just ignorance than being a dick. I just like the "and what type of company is sapphire?" line.
Dude, when are you two gettin married? I get rights to wedding night tape!

"gay geeks in heat"

The 512 vs 256 argument has been going on for a while. at your rez, its not nearly enough to worry about.

TheBeelzebub said:
If he thinks he has a clue about graphics cards and then says "who the hell is sapphire?", he should just be ignored because he knows absolutely nothing. Your friend is wrong, and you are correct. I would just wait and laugh when the card he spent 70 bucks more on does not perform any better than your card once UT2k7 comes out.

Yeah, I over the time that I've known him have learned to ignore 90% of what he says. I was just trying to find a way, or backup, to tell him that he's wrong. I like to have reasons.

AdamNesvick said:
Dude, when are you two gettin married? I get rights to wedding night tape!

"gay geeks in heat"

The 512 vs 256 argument has been going on for a while. at your rez, its not nearly enough to worry about.

That's just wrong, man...

ForBuilding said:
dumb people are funny :D

That basically sums up my feelings.

Tell him to run ATI tray tools and turn on the OSD. Just check the Free Video Memory check box and start playing a game. Almost every game I play uses less than 256MB of the VRAM on my X1900XTX. :)

crank up quake4 and turn on ultra high settings. only game ive ran that uses the most memory, including oblivion.

Back