Help me decide... 4870x2 or GTX 280 ?!

Brownstone

Gawd
Share experience and wisdom with me... im gaming at 1920x1200

Gona keep the card at least for year

I have used both, it depends on your price. Overall I have used both and each pretty much has their ups and downs. Overall though I think you might get another 4870 and call it a day.

I am using the 4870x2 and after getting all the game settings set at enthusiast and resos at 1600x1200 in Crysis Warhead, I am truly impressed. I would read the article on HardOCP on the cards and then decide.

I would just stick with what you got if it were me.

However, being an ati fanboy i would go with the X2 as i believe it has more legs.

If you don't mind the heat, then 4870x2.

If you do mind the heat, GTX 280.

Either way, awsome performance.

If you don't mind the heat, then 4870x2.

If you do mind the heat, GTX 280.

Either way, awsome performance.

The heat difference isn't even noticeable I went from a 280GTX to Crossfired 4870X2's and it didn't really put that much of a hurt on my watercooling rig.

i don't get the heat issue, no different than any other high end card with proper cooling.

If you plan on getting aftermarket air cooling the GTX280 is the way to go. Its the only thing I hate about my 4870x2 is not having the ability to put on an aftermarket air cooler. The drivers are still a bit buggy but the card is still fairly new and hopefully those will get worked out. The 4870x2 is fast.

I've had both. The Geforce GTX 280 gives more consistent performance in some games. The drivers are definitely more mature, but the 4870 X2 is the faster card overall. It sucks for Crysis but if you don't play Crysis that shouldn't matter too much. I mean how many games use that engine?

Basically either will serve you well for some time but I think the 4870 X2 will have greater staying power as it is faster. Today it will provide faster performance in games and it will do so while offering higher levels of AA and AF.

I will go with the 280 as 1920x1200 is no problem for that card plus you avoid any microstuttering or similar sli/cf issues.
Above that resolution I would probably go with the 4870 x2 as that is when you really see a difference in many games.

Actually i play Crysis alot :p
Im torn, money is a non issue here...

Dan what do u mean by consistent ? Throughout the games or is the fps abit more erratic ?

I dont really plan on ocing or buying an aftermarket cooler tho... at most im gona replace the thermal paste with a good one (got 10°c off my Northbridge doing that)

Actually i play Crysis alot :p
Im torn, money is a non issue here...

Dan what do u mean by consistent ? Throughout the games or is the fps abit more erratic ?

I dont really plan on ocing or buying an aftermarket cooler tho... at most im gona replace the thermal paste with a good one (got 10°c off my Northbridge doing that)

Yes, the 4870 X2 is more erratic in regard to frame rates.

Yeah i can see that now, on Apples to Apples the graphs show the 280 being quite more consistant than the 4870x2

Im gona go with the 280... should hold me on for a year just fine
Thx for the input :)

I've had both. The Geforce GTX 280 gives more consistent performance in some games. The drivers are definitely more mature, but the 4870 X2 is the faster card overall. It sucks for Crysis but if you don't play Crysis that shouldn't matter too much. I mean how many games use that engine?

Basically either will serve you well for some time but I think the 4870 X2 will have greater staying power as it is faster. Today it will provide faster performance in games and it will do so while offering higher levels of AA and AF.

You mention the drivers are more mature for the 280s, have you tried the latest ones yet with your setup? I'm just curious to see if you could tell the difference.

What ever you decide on, I'm jealous. I don't even have the money ( or balls) to spend that much on a video card.

You mention the drivers are more mature for the 280s, have you tried the latest ones yet with your setup? I'm just curious to see if you could tell the difference.

I have used them and they work just fine.

The newest Forceware drivers? No. I haven't. I'm still on the 177.92's.

Man I'm just gonna wait for either a refresh of the GTX 280s or the new flagship. I've got money to burn and I want to burn it on some new toys!!

You really can't go wrong with either at that res. I've only had my 4870x2 for a week and so far it has amazed me in every way, but then again I did upgrade from a 9600GT :eek: :D

Why don't you just get another 4870 and crossfire them?

GTX280 is fine for 1920*1200, 4870X2 only really pulls away with 8xAA+ or higher resolutions again, so stick to 4xAA/16xAF get the GTX280 and enjoy nice consistant performance.

Back