Help me decide my pc parts

I am planning on upgrading my entire pc. Right now I have a Intel Pentium 4 1.6Ghz overclocked to 2Ghz. It is too slow to use when it comes to watching HDTV videos even with an ATI 9700 Pro video card. I have a list of parts below based on reading this and other forums and would like your feedback or opinions on whether it would be a good setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MB - DFI Nforce 4 Ultra 4 - non SLI

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 Winchester 3200+

Memory - I would like something that would allow me to overclock my 3200+ to at least 2.5Ghz if possible using air cooled only

Video Card - suggestions on a dual DVI setup that can drive 1920x1080 resolutions on both ports is there such a thing for around $350?

Power Supply - Seasonic S12 430W

Thanks again!

This has dual dvi

Should support that resolution. Should get a second opinion on this though.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-150-073&depa=1

Although, you can get x800xl's for about 50$ cheaper, and maybe use 1 vga to dvi adapter(i guess dvi->vga adapters can be flipped around) Otherwise, that's about the cheapest card that has built in dual dvi and still fits into your budget.

For a 344$ x800xl:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-164-042&depa=1

Whether or not the 50$ premium for vivo and dual dvi is worth it to you, I'm not sure.

Another idea is to go xfx 6600gt, which allows dual dvi as well, and should cost much less, at around 190$

For the ram I would recomend anything with the Samsung TCCD chip. If you can find some Patriot get that but you could always get some g.skill if that fits into your budget.

parasailing said:
Memory - I would like something that would allow me to overclock my 3200+ to at least 2.5Ghz if possible using air cooled only
just a note about this. just as i tell people in the memory forum, you don't really need good ram to overclock your cpu.

want 2500mhz?
do 250x10

don't have ram that can go over 215mhz?
use the 166mhz (5:6) ram divider. that gives 208mhz. ;)

oh, lets say you have ram that can do 230mhz
278x9
5:6 would give a ram divider of 11... 278*9/11 = 227.5mhz for the ram.

though if you really want 2.5ghz, i have two sticks of crucial ballistix that do 250mhz at 2.5-2-2 timings. past there, my memory controller freaks out at me. i think that's the tightest timings you'll be able to get at those speeds without getting UTT or bh-5 based ram and pumping it with 3.2-3.5v :D

Back