Help me decide, need to purchase today

iqwertyi

Limp Gawd
I've got three contenders:

24" Dell 2407WFP-HC
28" HannsG HG-281DPB
24" Samsung 245BW

Ignoring the price difference (business expense, they don't care which one I choose), which would be the overall better monitor?
Mostly working on CAD and some photoshop.
All are at 1920 x 1200
Response Times; 3ms on HannsG, 5ms on Samsung and 6ms on Dell
Viewing Angle: 160 degree on Samsung and HannsG, while Dell only 89 degrees?
Brightness: 500 on HannsG, 400 on Dell and Samsung
Contrast Ratio: 1000 on Dell and Samsung and 800 on HannsG

Thanks

I am looking at the same thing, but what would be the obvious choice for gaming, with the res on the 28' being only 1920X1200 is that too big of a screen, does it require a res of 2560X1600???

Well, it depends what you care about. The ExtremeTech review here wasn't too impressed with the blacks on the monitor, but it's just one review. The Dell has the ghosting issue but might be okay since you aren't using it for anything like games.

By the way, for the viewing angles, the Dell is +/- 89, which is 178. The others are 160, although I'm guessing you'll be sitting directly in front of the monitor most of the time. You only get those 3? You can't convince them on the NEC 2490? :) Or at least something like the BenQ FP241W, which has a similar price but is better with colors. Out of the 3, I'd probably go with the Dell for non-gaming since I have a personal preference against TN panels but many people don't mind/can't tell the difference so YMMV.

As for Flood's question, yes, it's 1920. The pixels are just bigger for a 28" so you might want to sit back more if you are sensitive to such things. Mostly 30" monitors are 2560 and that also includes a much higher price tag.

Pixel count was one of the things I was worried about. Because for a 4" difference, having the same pixel count means larger images. Meaning, I won't be gaining any real estate space for the size.

I was debating the 24" vs 22", if it really made a difference or not.

Currently, i have an 18" Ultrasharp, and have been happy with it, so I'm kind of leaning on the Dell too. But the size of the HannsG made me consider it and Since I'm a Samsung fan too, I had to put that on the list.

OK, was running out of time and went with the larger on :)
So, ordered the HannsG, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks all

Back