Help me decide upgrade from E8500 to 2500k or 2600k

MX-5 Dave

Gawd
I am upgrading from an E8500 which I am not overclocking (for some reason this rig just decided it didnt want to OC without constant BSODs, but its rock solid at the stock speeds)

I am running an HD6970 and the MOBO is an MSI P67A-GD65

Here is the thing, I know that the K series OCs better, but do I need it?

My main use for this machine is gaming, but I also do occasional video editing(rare) and a lot of audio ripping/converting. I game at 1920X1200 and like to crank the eye candy up as far as I can (all the way preferably)

Right now I am SUPER cpu bottlenecked as far as gaming goes. When I went from the 4890 to the 6970 my frame rates didn't really change, so I know the CPU is the problem now.

What do I need?

How much faster would just the 2500K be?

Would the 2600K be noticeably faster at all?

Lets forget the price difference for a moment, will I even notice the difference between them? If so, how much? Will it be the difference of no slowdowns or the occasional slowdown? Or would it be a complete waste?

I would go with the 2500K. Get the K because overclocking is dead easy with these chips/boards, plus it'll help with the resale value later. Get the 2500K because it doesn't sound like you do anything that needs the HT and extra cache, at least not for the price difference.

i say go big or go home. you already have the best card out there. why skimp on the cpu?

Q6600 and HD6950 = 17,000 3dmark06

2600K and HD6950 = 28,600 3dmark06

yes, its all about CPU.

i say go big or go home. you already have the best card out there. why skimp on the cpu?

Q6600 and HD6950 = 17,000 3dmark06

2600K and HD6950 = 28,600 3dmark06

yes, its all about CPU.

That is sort of what I am thinking. Yeah its more money, but it isnt that much drama to come up with, and the faster I get now, the longer it will be till I have to do it again.

Then again, I just realized that I dont have the extra brackets for my HSF, so I have to buy a new HSF, and I am going to be buying another pair of ram sticks (just because F it, I can have 16GB for another 80 bucks, that is just too much E-peen to give up :p ) With those added expenses maybe the 2500K will be the way to go...

How much faster is the 2500K than my E8500 when it comes to gaming and such? I am talking about running standard speeds, not OC;d for the purpose of this discussion.

Once you remove the CPU bottleneck the card will really breathe. You will also have enough CPU power to go crossfire if you so choose. Either way the i5 2500K or the i7 2600K will be a large improvement over the E8500.

That is sort of what I am thinking. Yeah its more money, but it isnt that much drama to come up with, and the faster I get now, the longer it will be till I have to do it again.

Then again, I just realized that I dont have the extra brackets for my HSF, so I have to buy a new HSF, and I am going to be buying another pair of ram sticks (just because F it, I can have 16GB for another 80 bucks, that is just too much E-peen to give up :p ) With those added expenses maybe the 2500K will be the way to go...

How much faster is the 2500K than my E8500 when it comes to gaming and such? I am talking about running standard speeds, not OC;d for the purpose of this discussion.

The E8500 is 3.16Ghz stock right? The i5 2500K is 3.3Ghz. Thats a 140Mhz gain alone, and Clock for Clock Sandy Bridge is a hell of a lot faster, not to mention you will have 2 more cores.

On the Ram, be careful, these days processors may not work well with miss matched ram. Even if they are the same type/speed/timings it could reject it. Thats why matched pairs are so popular.

I am not saying you will have problems, but be prepared that is a chance that all 4 of them wont work together.

I just did this upgrade last week. e8500 to 2500k. Worth it imo

Ya know what's funny. In the last few years of picking out chips for my rigs, I've never once looked at and acknowledged the stock clock. I just now realized that.

oh and as plac said, go big ;)

OP- I went with the 2600k because, quite frankly, I only upgrade my core components every 2-3 years and since I could swing the extra cash for the "top" model I did.

BTW - I went from an E6550 to the i2600k, an even bigger jump. :)

yeah here is how I am looking at it

The difference is @$100 Its not a deal breaker amount, since I have a machine that is relatively fast now, the difference will be doing it later this week/early next week, or doing it in another week or two. Its not like I need the power to be able to run things NOW, nothing essential anyway. I can just continue to stick with WoW and Source games for another couple weeks.

And although I don't technically need the extra horsepower, the way I look at it is that the more powerful I make it now, the longer it will be until it doesn't have enough power. I don't change my gaming/using habits (meaning going to newer software that might need more power) that often, so theoretically, it could hold me off for 6 months to a year longer.

Or maybe the next jump in requirements will be so large that neither proc would have enough power. *shrug*

So I guess I am pretty much talking myself into the 2600k making more sense. Sounds like you guys overall agree.

So I guess that answers that lol.

But I do welcome more opinions, if you don't agree feel free to try to change my mind, worst case I spend the extra, best case maybe I spend less and get the 2500.

I had a 2600K at launch, returned it with my mobo because of the recall, and downgraded to a 2500K. I can't tell the difference. My 2500K actually overclocks better, too. IMO, save the $110. Also, Newegg is bundling Total War: Shogun 2 for free with the 2500K. Sell the game and net a 2500K for ~$190.

BTW, plac's example is useless. If you look at actual benchmarks, the 2500K is faster clock-per-clock in gaming than the 2600K. I think the difference is due to Hyperthreading.

I had a 2600K at launch, returned it with my mobo because of the recall, and downgraded to a 2500K. I can't tell the difference. My 2500K actually overclocks better, too. IMO, save the $110. Also, Newegg is bundling Total War: Shogun 2 for free with the 2500K. Sell the game and net a 2500K for ~$190.

BTW, plac's example is useless. If you look at actual benchmarks, the 2500K is faster clock-per-clock in gaming than the 2600K. I think the difference is due to Hyperthreading.

i wouldnt say it over clocks better i think the b3 revisions MB are better o/c i have my same chip and new b3 board and i can do 300mhz more now with alot less volts then on the old board.

No....The 2600K is perhaps faster clock for clock than the 2500K not the other way around. With both processors performance at stock, the 2600K always scored higher. Hyperthreading or better clock for clock, either way its faster.

I suggest reading the [H]'s own review on this subject.

Whether that extra performance is going to be tangible in anything other than benchmarks or a few seconds shaved off of an intensive rendering/coding operation is questionable. In gaming you'll likely not be able to tell the difference, especially if you OC.

FWIW, I went with the 2600k when brought to the same situation. I too don't upgrade my computer but every 3-5 years. Last upgrade was from a 478 to C2Q9300, which was a huge improvement. I had the 6950 from when it just came out and was running it on the C2Q. There is still a world of difference in gameplay (BFBC2 mainly). I am having some trouble with my old HSF, a Zalman CNPS9700, as it just can't cope with overclocking, only the turboclocking, so I've also ordered an H50.

Another huge change for me that came before I went 2600k was the SSD, which is a great upgrade as well, however I find myself not using it much because I store my games on my storage drive, cause on an SSD every gb is precious.

I was also considering the $80 (it was actually $35 for me) to go to 16gb of RAM from 8, but I decided against it because while it was enormous e-peenage, I'd rather get a Corsair H50 kit for the same price.... (the $35 was the $90 for mem -10% newegg coupon code, -$25 for first order discount, and a $30 or so MIR, but I still went with the Corsair H50 WHICH IS TAKING FOREVER TO SHIP WTH! [I'm spoiled by Amazon Prime]).

Whatever you do, it'll be good. I'm now looking for a new case to finally move 100% away from my p45 C2Q build.

No....The 2600K is perhaps faster clock for clock than the 2500K not the other way around. With both processors performance at stock, the 2600K always scored higher. Hyperthreading or better clock for clock, either way its faster.

I suggest reading the [H]'s own review on this subject.

From your link:

For what it is worth, I think these gaming benchmarks are fairly useless, but people want to see these.

Anyway, I'll see your [H] and one-up you with Anandtech. The 2500K is frequently ahead of the 2600K in gaming, even with a 100 MHz deficit in a resolution people actually use. Make of it what you will:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/...core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/20

Price difference aside, the 2600k is a better processor overall and will overclock higher as well. However, price considered, the 2600k costs 50% more than the 2500k, but is not 50% faster. OC'ing included, we're talking maybe 20% better at most.

Man I had my mind all made up till looking at the charts in that Anandtech link :(

Now I am having a way harder time justifying the 2600k... Because since I lost the extra parts for my CPU cooler (CM V8) I wont be able to mount it on the new board, I am eyeing the H50 or maybe the H70. The price difference from the 2500k to the 2600k would cover that.

I dont know, I will find out like Friday what I am getting paid for the car I am doing at the shop (I work at a custom car shop) and that will make the decision for me I think. I would still like to do the 2600k, but as patient as I am trying to be, I am starting to get the itch bad. You guys know how that is.

If it's something you're going to obsess over, I'd say just get the 2600K and be done with it. And then stop reading CPU reviews for awhile, as something is going to come out which is faster than the 2600K.

Personally, I went with the 2500k based on the price difference. The extra $100 or so (I forget the difference during the MC sale) I figured was better spent on other upgrades, since I didn't "need" the HT.

I put that $100 into a separate savings account, which will be used the next time I want to upgrade my rig. Two years from now, there's going to be better cheaper CPUs.

Are there going to be faster 1155 chips? I ask because I figure, if I can just upgrade the CPU in a year or so, in the same socket, then there isnt much reason to spend the extra. But if the 2600k is going to be the fastest or almost fastest in that socket, I may as well just get it, since for what I do right now, the 2500k is plenty fast. I am thinking that I will be that much more "future proof" on the 2600k, but if I can just go to a proc that is a good bit faster than them both, Ill do the cheaper one now and in another year or so pick up a 2800k(or whatever they will call the equiv)

I am adding up the total costs of everything I want, and its looking like although cost wasnt a concern in the beginning, when you factor in the H50 (or H70) and the extra set of RAM sticks, that extra $100 is harder to come up with.

The 2500K/2600Ks overclock to 4.6 - 5+ GHz. That's a lot of headroom to fill with potential speed bumps but I don't see any feature changes (more cores, cache, etc.) for 1155. With overclocking, I think you'll be just as good two years from now with either of these CPUs.

Basically, if you're still conflicted at this point over these CPUs you don't need the 2600K. Its benefits are obvious if you use particular software.

Are there going to be faster 1155 chips? I ask because I figure, if I can just upgrade the CPU in a year or so, in the same socket, then there isnt much reason to spend the extra. But if the 2600k is going to be the fastest or almost fastest in that socket, I may as well just get it, since for what I do right now, the 2500k is plenty fast. I am thinking that I will be that much more "future proof" on the 2600k, but if I can just go to a proc that is a good bit faster than them both, Ill do the cheaper one now and in another year or so pick up a 2800k(or whatever they will call the equiv)

I am adding up the total costs of everything I want, and its looking like although cost wasnt a concern in the beginning, when you factor in the H50 (or H70) and the extra set of RAM sticks, that extra $100 is harder to come up with.

Just get the 2500K. The overwhelming likelihood is that you'll never notice the difference.

Man I had my mind all made up till looking at the charts in that Anandtech link :(

Now I am having a way harder time justifying the 2600k... Because since I lost the extra parts for my CPU cooler (CM V8) I wont be able to mount it on the new board, I am eyeing the H50 or maybe the H70. The price difference from the 2500k to the 2600k would cover that.

I dont know, I will find out like Friday what I am getting paid for the car I am doing at the shop (I work at a custom car shop) and that will make the decision for me I think. I would still like to do the 2600k, but as patient as I am trying to be, I am starting to get the itch bad. You guys know how that is.

Is the h50 better? Probably, is the h50 better than similarly priced air coolers? (NO!).
The h50 can't even beat the Cogage True Spirit (30 dollar cooler). Nvm, other better heatsinks. Unless you have a specific configuration that warrants the h50, stick with what you have, or buy a less expensive tower cooler, or even one with a similar price (thermalright silver arrow).

If you want to stick with what you have... then save some money...
http://cmstore.coolermaster-usa.com/product_info.php?cPath=18_25&products_id=391
$6+s/h
Problem solved, no need to purchase a new heatsink. Yes the h50 will be better, but remember that a 2600k overclocked to 4.8ghz has similar power requirements and therefore heatdump as a stock 1336 processor. Do buy the K processor, whether or not you need hyperthreading depends on what you do with your computer when you aren't gaming.

good luck :)

NICE!!! Ill order those brackets tonight!

Thanks so much, that saves me a big hunk of change.

My wife jacked the 980x. Ok she does need it more for her work and she does make the dough of it. So I got a 2600k to fool around with. And yes you can pull 3x580s in it with the Maximus

NICE!!! Ill order those brackets tonight!

Thanks so much, that saves me a big hunk of change.

You're welcome. Now you have to figure out do you apply those savings to a 2600k, or save and stay with the 2500k. You'll be more than thrilled with either... and the 2500k will probably do the job.

The brackets came in this morning :)

So far here is the gear I have gotten together...

MSI HD6970
MSI P67A-GD65
16GB Patriot DDR3-1600 (4X4gb sticks, I got 2 8gb kits)
The brackets for the V8 cooler

Waiting on my next paycheck (I work at a custom car shop, I have a long term project car going out the door finally, when its paid for, I will get my cut for my labor) and I am planning on just going with a 2500K. I decided to just do the 2500K because, well, F it. Its well more than enough for anything I do, and by the time that it isnt enough, I doubt that a 2600K would have been enough either. Its just an extra $100 that I cant think of any realistic reason to spend.

I am also going to start replacing some of my older HDs because for whatever reason, over my entire computing life, I have had crap luck with HD failures, its always the one that has all my important data that seems to fail. So I am gonna pick up a couple 2TB HDs to replace the 1Tb drives in the box now, and use one of them as a dedicated backup drive. Im also going to back my stuff up onto BOTH of the HDs I am removing, seal them in static bags and stick them in the closet (Im gonna take a marker and write the date on them so I know what point they are backed up to)

My plan there will be a WD Black 2Tb for the main drive, and 2 2TB drives, not sure which ones yet, for the storage and backup drives. The budget for these drives comes from another place so it doesnt factor into the upgrade budget. The upgrades are from my "wife would kill me if she knew I bought this stuff" fund. (I am sure at least a few of you have a similar fund..) and the HDs are from a more legit budget :p

I will admit though, that the decision to go from 8gb to 16gb in RAM is what made the budget end of this decision. I just like the sound of 16GB lol. I dont know. It just seems to have more e-peen enlarging capaciry. And I mean lets face it, what else would I have ACTUALLY gained with the 2600K?

I also figure that 16GB should be plenty to let me turn my swapfile off entirely.
Do I need to do that? Obviously not. But hey, I will be able to look at my machine and say to myself "man, that has so much ram it doesnt even need a swapfile."

Yeah I know... Dumb and vain. But heck man, if vanity werent part of this hobby, we wouldnt all have windows, CCFLs and LED fans would we.

I do welcome more feedback on my plans/setup thus far though

Last edited:
If you don't have a ssd boot drive, get the 2500k and use the extra $100 towards one of those. ;)

You are an evil, evil person.

*heads to newegg to look at SSDs....*

If you want to save some money there are a bunch of people selling intel 80gb g2, although there are faster drives now, extra power only matters if that part is bottlenecking the system...at this point a G2 is plenty.
You can probably pick one up for less than 150 shipped.

If you don't have a ssd boot drive, get the 2500k and use the extra $100 towards one of those. ;)
The best advice yet, and the 120-128gb models are often quite a bit faster than the 60-64gb ones for whatever odd reason.

Head over to our storage forum to check out the discussions on different brands.

Well here I sit on a fresh Windows 7 install, busy downloading updates, installing Drivers etc.

Picked up the 2500K a few hours ago, everything is up and running smoothly (so far anyway, not everything is installed yet and my 2 internal storage drives aren't plugged into the mobo yet)

I think I am gonna go for an SSD for the system drive... I sold an RC car today and have an extra $300 or so to play with...

dfgskjuhkfsdhkijusdfkjhsdfkhjnsgdf

I think it blew up or something.

THIS IS WHY I DO NOT COUNT OVERCLOCKING INTO THE PLAN.

So it wouldnt overclock, not even 1mhz.

Tried the MSI OC Genie, nope. BSOD before it even gets to loading windows.

Get it back to defaults Boots ok

Reboot, go into bios (uefi) Set mem to 1.63v and 1600 (it was at like 1.2v and 1066)

Boots ok

Reboot to bios

Try to up CPU multiplier to 40

Nope wont boot

Try upping CPU PLL to 1.4000
CHange ram to unlinked turn ztreme memory thing on. Leave at 1600

Wont even post. Starts to power up, then shuts off, starts to power up, shuts off. Its stuck in some sort of loop

SO

I use the clear cmos button on the back panel

Nope, same thing

I use cmos jumper clear

NOPE

I remove the vid card to get to the mobo battery, remove it, reinstall it

NOPE

I remove all but 2 sticks of the ram (had 4)

NOPE

I cant seem to make the CMOS clear, either that, or something blew up.

WTF.

never again, not even gonna think about trying. Its just not worth this effing hassle. I dont have the funds to replace whatever just blew up and I have absolutely no idea how to make this thing work.

help?

Any idea how to determine if its a blown up CPU or mobo? I really dont have $400 to go buy both.

Back