Help me install Gaim.

KevC

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey

I'm running Ubuntu 5.04 Hoary Hedgehog (love the name)

I downloaded Gaim 1.5.0 and compiled it, (./configure and make) but now I can't figure out how to install it. I'm used to just doing "./setup" but it's not working.

There's also an install command, but I'm completely new to linux so I don't know how the directory structure works or if I should remove the previous Gaim install (that came with Hoary Hedgehog ;))

Help please! Thanks

did you run make install? That puts the binaries in the correct folders. Just type gaim at the command prompt after you type make install and it should run.

Code:
kevin@wind:~/Desktop/gaim-1.5.0/gaim-1.5.0$ make install
Making install in doc
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/kevin/Desktop/gaim-1.5.0/gaim-1.5.0/doc'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/kevin/Desktop/gaim-1.5.0/gaim-1.5.0/doc'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
test -z "/usr/local/man/man1" || mkdir -p -- "/usr/local/man/man1"
mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/man/man1': Permission denied
make[2]: *** [install-man1] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/kevin/Desktop/gaim-1.5.0/gaim-1.5.0/doc'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kevin/Desktop/gaim-1.5.0/gaim-1.5.0/doc'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

Hm..?

sorry should've said this, gotta be root. su then enter your password then type make install.

Silent1 said:
sorry should've said this, gotta be root. su then enter your password then type make install.

YES! Wow, that works. I feel so good about this, my first program installed! Well, I installed flash and vdrift, but that was easy (./configure make ./setup or somethin like that).

Thanks so much! I haven't used command prompt in ages (MS DOS, but that was then I was like a baby lol)

Just a heads up:

If you ever have trouble with gaim do NOT EVER go into #gaim on Freenode and expect them to help. They won't. Period.

you can always just use the easy ways.
#apt-get install gaim
or
main menu>>system tools>>synaptic>>search gaim>>>check box, click install
no point reinventing the wheel if you dont have to.

emerge gaim :cool:

haha sorry...but I just had to throw out a plug for us gentoo users. (edit: haha why did it filter out "f-a-n-b-o-y-s?")

Anyway, congrats on figuring that out. I think it's good that people know how to do stuff like that from the command line, even when easier methods exist. It's good practice to at least know the manual way...I can promise it will save your ass someday ;)

doh said:
Just a heads up:

If you ever have trouble with gaim do NOT EVER go into #gaim on Freenode and expect them to help. They won't. Period.

I actually got some very helpful help there once. ;)

doh said:
Just a heads up:

Wasn't their anger directed at Gentoo users who kept asking questions about why their custom super CFLAGS were breaking Gaim (I've never been to the Gaim channel, but when I was a Gentoo user, I remember people on the Gentoo forums and the Gentoo IRC channel warning people not to ask for help in #gaim because the people were not happy with Gentoo users).

EvaUnit01 said:
haha sorry...but I just had to throw out a plug for us gentoo users. (edit: haha why did it filter out "f-a-n-b-o-y-s?")

Blame the video card forum.

As to the OP - package managers should be the first thing you look to for installing apps. Makes everything simpler without the need for ./configure && make && make install and such.

Ubuntu uses apt (as has been stated) so you can install stuff through that (very handy). I'd only resort to ./configure and such if I'm installing something that's not in the repositories.

doh said:
Just a heads up:

awhile ago while i was running debian and had the lastest version of gaim at the time and went into their channel because i found a bug. Basically i was talking to someone who was on a windows machine using crazy ass fonts and would crash gaim my side because of him using crazy as fonts i didn't have. Not sure if they fixed it but they were more than polite, but i understand the general fear irc channels for newbs to linux. Especially #debian on irc.debian.org

Back