Help me make a build for a friend

Max-Powers

Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc Gaming
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included? $1000
3) Where do you live? U.S.A.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific. Full computer except for monitor
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking? No
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have? 25inch
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Within the next month
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc. No raid or SLI needed
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit
or 64bit? Will need win 7 64bit

My friend wants a desktop because he knows he can get more power for cheaper from a desktop than a laptop. He doesn't know much about computers and he wants to get an Alienware. I am not badmouthing Alienware, but I believe they are too expensive, and you mostly pay for the name. He is not a computer game enthusiast, so doesn't need the all out power and tweaking ability of Alienware. He wants a powerful computer. I told him I would help him get one cheaper than Alienware.
What are some good companies besides Dell that makes decent desktops?
What would be a quick build pieced together using Newegg for under $1000? Nothing to fancy. No more than 500gig hard drive. Must be at least 1gig video card and 6 GB ram. other than that everything else should just be decent to play today's games.

Last edited:
Please answer 7, 9 and 10 please.

Oh and Puget Systems, Velocity Micro, and Maingear have pretty decent PCs.

Also, does he or you live near a Microcenter? If so, they've got the i7 920 for $180 and the 930 for $200.

What's the native/maximum resolution of that 25" monitor?

Which games does your friend wants to play?

Back