Help me pick a laptop for my sister

Aris

[H]ard|Gawd
she travels ALOT
wants wireless G
just surfs the net alot and wants to trade music files etc.
she'll use it mostly for buisness/travel use

so somthing with long battery life. not too expensive 1-2 thousand bucks. light, thin, compact. a 15" screen. wifi G, mabey bluetooth,

i dont usually shop for stuff unless its top of the line gamming equipment. so this is a struggle for me.

i would be remiss if I didn't reccomend an IBM T4x series laptop.

light weight (4-5 lbs)
5-7 hour battery life (depending on the battery)
Wireless G
DVD/CDRW

I would reccomend the 14" model though.

so far im looking at the HP zt3000, and the Dell Latitude D800

i'll check into IBM also.

The IBM Thinkpad T Series will probably be too big for lots of travel. Instead, take a look at the IBM Thinkpad X Series. It's the smaller 12" model and I think it fits your requirements quite well.

well id like it to have a 15.4" WXGA screen
and a Pentium M processor. around 1.7ghz seems to be the best comprimise between performace/price right now.

also considering the Toshiba Satellite M35 series

viper11885 said:
The IBM Thinkpad T Series will probably be too big for lots of travel. Instead, take a look at the IBM Thinkpad X Series. It's the smaller 12" model and I think it fits your requirements quite well.

the T series is certainly not too large for travel. That, and the X series lack the firepower, so to speak, of the T4x series. No onboard optical drive, or Svid out. Limited to a 4200 rpm hdd (the X40).

And weight is just 1 lb more (4.5 for the 14"), and an inch or so wider. They're both 1" thin.

And the T-series is smaller and lighter than the Toshiba M35 (Firebomb, a friend of mine, has an M30x, which is basically the same as the M35x (assuming you mean X, as the M35(non-X) was recalled by Toshiba for overheating)

My T-series are better, as far as quality and construction goes. He has a better videocard than the T series comes with.

IBM-birdeye.JPG

IBMs abreast.JPG

the above pictures show an IBM X31 (slightly larger than the X40), the 14" T41P, and the 15" T42P

the M35 you're looking at is heavier and larger than the T42P, and has plastic hinges.

Also, it lacks a Thinklight (very nice when typing in the dark), and lacks a modular drive (which allows you to have 2 harddrives in the system at the same time, or 2 batteries).

ok i think ive narrow'd it down to 4 choices

Dell - Latitude D800
HP - zt3000
IBM - T42
Toshiba - M35

all but the IBM have 15.4" WXGA monitors. but i really like IBM laptops also so i kept them in the list.
all are in my pricerange
all have Pentium M processors

so help me choose between the 4

id like to know average battery life of the 4, i havnt been able to find anyone that knows.
also mabey a review that has these 4 laptops in them.

EDIT: also how about the :

HP - NX7010

Back