help me to clean my rad plzzz

azn_bboy07

n00b
hi guys,
havent been on for a while,how r u doing guys??? lets stragiht to the point, i have a aqua airplex evo 240 rad, and i just cleaning my water cooling system today, and find out that my set up some how got corrosion(forgot how to spell that word), so i belive my rad got abit effected some how due to my rad nad cpu block are copper and the gpu is alu. Can i have any suggestion from the watercooling guru how to clean my rad? i just gone through on the web and forum on cleaning rad, but i'm not so sure about the perecntage of venigar and step by step to do it. Also is there any other alternative method??
wud be very appriciate for any reply, thank you

100% White Vinegar for 24-48 Hours shaking the RAD every now & again to loosen up the gunk, then flush with Distilled Water. I'd do it for at least 48 Hours since you indicate that it's really gunked up.

By the way, do it outdoors or as close to outdoors as you can if you can't stand the smell.

100% White Vinegar for 24-48 Hours shaking the RAD every now & again to loosen up the gunk, then flush with Distilled Water. I'd do it for at least 48 Hours since you indicate that it's really gunked up.

By the way, do it outdoors or as close to outdoors as you can if you can't stand the smell.

i have heard of using vinegar before, i personally used steradent (denture tablets ;)) with some sucess, but is vinegar safe on copper radiators? (as in, BIX) i cant think why it wouldnt be, just dont want to rush into doing it and ruin it lol

i use vinegar on all mine as well..

usually 2-3 24 hour periods if i'm not in a hurry... usually with brand new rads you'll get cloudy vinegar for a while and sometimes i get little black bits too

i ran a loop after doing that for like 10 months with a 10 percent pentosin and distilled water with no growth etc...

tryin pc-ice now

thanx for feed back guys, i'm browsing on that site now. I heard there are few problems with vinegar which eats the copper part, is it true tho?? do i need to dilute the vinegar or simply pure 100% vinegar?
cheers

thanx for feed back guys, i'm browsing on that site now. I heard there are few problems with vinegar which eats the copper part, is it true tho?? do i need to dilute the vinegar or simply pure 100% vinegar?
cheers

yeah might be, if you leave the vinegar in for about a year or so , just make sure u flush ur rad well with dest water after the vinegar treatment and u will be fine .;)

cheers

i never had a problem ... as far as acids go vinegar is already pretty week

cheers

use 100% pure Vinegar.... meaning.... do not dilute it with anything. Pour it right from the bottle into your rad. I actually use a funnel attached to a 6" length of tubing, and at the other end, I fit a 1/2" barb.

All white distilled vinegar available in supermarkets is actually a 5% concentration (assuming the rest is water)

ill give this a try then guys, cheers :) the steradent didnt get it 100% clean inside from what i can see! PS... where does one get red pentosin in the UK? im a little tired of blucol! :D

wow, wat a long post but thanx for all the info guys. i might give a try with the vinegar and see how it goes. yay, weekend is tomorw, hope i can complete clean my rad by sunday and back to work on monday :mad: heheh.

hey guys, just finished my cleaning process for the rad after 26hrs i guess. the vinegar came out was bit bluish like the pic in the xtremesystem forum threat. So from here, do i need to clean it more or it shud be fine?? also i want to polish my waterblock which is the aqua evo block. i already bought sandpaper which is 220,440,800,1200 and 2000grit. is it correct and which one do i strat it first?
thanks

hey guys, just finished my cleaning process for the rad after 26hrs i guess. the vinegar came out was bit bluish like the pic in the xtremesystem forum threat. So from here, do i need to clean it more or it shud be fine?? also i want to polish my waterblock which is the aqua evo block. i already bought sandpaper which is 220,440,800,1200 and 2000grit. is it correct and which one do i strat it first?
thanks

start with the lowest number (coarsest) first, you should only need a min with the 220, as soon as the scratch marks are uniform over the whole bottom of the block, move up a grade, after you get 1200 it might be difficult to see the scratch marks, what you do is work on it for a couple of minutes, rinse it off with water, and look at it in a bright light for changes in the reflections/shiney surface until, again, its a uniform appearance on the whole bottom.

Please make sure you use a flat surface, a pane of window glass is great, I somethimes steal the glass from a picture frame.

google "heatsink lapping" and a bunch of guides can be found.

some people like to finish up with a light applicaion of brasso etc. and polish the bottom to make it like a mirror. I dont because the Artic Silver paste that everyone uses has particles designed to go into the microscopic scratches and transfer heat. But that is a huge argument/technical issue. Even a so-so lapping job is better than none at all.

hi there, thanx for ur info. i jsut want to polish the top bit not the surface which contact between it and the cpu, mine is fine already. the reason i want to polis the top is due to the personal shipping, my uncle made a few deep cut and scractch abit the top,so i wnat to polish abit to make it look nicer :D . really appriciated guys

Back