Help me understanding 4k Interface.

PAo_ReVoLT

[H]ard|Gawd
What is the ideal interface for 4k @ 60hz will be? And when will it be available to consumer?

Both on monitor and graphic card end.

Thank you

PC monitors = 4K over display port @ 60hz.

TVs = 4K over HDMI 1.4 @ 24hz, there is no consumer 60hz for 4K.

The only functioning interface currently for 4k@60hz is Displayport 1.2 MST with two streams, due to lack of timing controllers that support a single stream.

Presumably once HDMI 2.0 is finalized(which could yet by 6 months or even more) people will start making tcons for that, but who knows? Certainly, nobody has any idea when actual consumer products that don't use MST will be available.

The only functioning interface currently for 4k@60hz is Displayport 1.2 MST with two streams, due to lack of timing controllers that support a single stream.

Presumably once HDMI 2.0 is finalized(which could yet by 6 months or even more) people will start making tcons for that, but who knows? Certainly, nobody has any idea when actual consumer products that don't use MST will be available.

So as of right now i cannot get a 4k 60hz to behave like regular screen?

So as of right now i cannot get a 4k 60hz to behave like regular screen?

The Asus PQ321Q and Sharp PN-K321 behave like regular screens when used with the newest Nvidia drivers or with AMD Eyefinity. There are a bunch of quirks and some issues, of course, but in general they work fine(I own the first one).

However, if what you mean is exactly the same as any other non-MST monitor of lower resolution, the answer is no, you cannot. None exist.

The Asus PQ321Q and Sharp PN-K321 behave like regular screens when used with the newest Nvidia drivers or with AMD Eyefinity. There are a bunch of quirks and some issues, of course, but in general they work fine(I own the first one).

However, if what you mean is exactly the same as any other non-MST monitor of lower resolution, the answer is no, you cannot. None exist.

Can i do 2 4k side by side?

Can i do 2 4k side by side?

Probably, though you may be limited by outputs. It only really works correctly with the displayport input currently, so you'll need two displayport outputs.

disclaimer: I haven't read of anyone doing this(in MST mode, that is) so there may be unforeseen problems.

Some guys from microsoft did 4 4k panels side by side, so 2 is doable.

Some guys from microsoft did 4 4k panels side by side, so 2 is doable.

Yeah but they were using SST mode I'm pretty sure, not MST, so limited to 30hz refresh rate. Still, I can't think of any reason you shouldn't be able to do it, I'm just thinking about driver quirks since we really have no idea what Nvidia is doing on the back-end. For AMD, it should be fine, you'll just have 4 display surfaces to merge with eyefinity instead of 2. But you do need the two displayport outputs, which probably means you'll need two cards.

Yeah but they were using SST mode I'm pretty sure, not MST, so limited to 30hz refresh rate. Still, I can't think of any reason you shouldn't be able to do it, I'm just thinking about driver quirks since we really have no idea what Nvidia is doing on the back-end. For AMD, it should be fine, you'll just have 4 display surfaces to merge with eyefinity instead of 2. But you do need the two displayport outputs, which probably means you'll need two cards.
AMD cards mostly come with 2 already

Back