Help me waste money

{EB}NuTSymPToM{EB}

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, so here's my dilemma.

Ever since my girlfriend bought me my 28" monitor for Xmas (1900x1200 native), I've been looking to upgrade my videocard. I've been sitting and waiting for prices to drop on a 5850 since they released to no avail.

I'm finally losing patience and I'm about to bite; but, lately I've been eyeing a console as a contender for my money.

In particular, I have my eye on a PS3. It's exclusives have caught my attention (Uncharted 1/2, God of War 3, Metal Gear Solid), in addition to other multi-platform games that would best be played on a console (Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed 2, Force Unleashed). I would also gain a Blu-Ray player, not that I need one, but it'd be nice to have as a general technophile. I also feel like the system in general has more untapped potential over the next few years than the other consoles.

At the end of the day my choice is to either significantly improve an experience I already have and know that I will love, or get a whole new experience in general that I may or may not find disappointing. Believe it or not, I think I've only actually seen a PS3 in action a handful of times.

A third option would be to upgrade to a used videocard if I can find a good deal and still get a PS3. Do you think it would be worthwhile to pick up a used GTX260/275 or 4890 if the price is right? If so, what do you think would be a good deal?

So there you have it. What would you do in this situation? Please keep the flaming and trolling to a minimum.

Also note, I have no interest in an X360. It's exclusives are underwhelming (in my opinion) and I have little intention of playing multiplayer on a console which, from what I can tell, is where the X360 seems to shine.

Another note, I own a Wii, but it barely gets used besides Netflix streaming and the occasional game with my girlfriend, so don't suggest a Wii either.

I would get a 5850, I went from an equivalent video card of what you have now, to the 5850, and it was worth the $300, especially with that monitor.

Get the 5850, a good controller or wheel, and a copy of Need for Speed Shift, and be prepared to shit your pants. :D

My kiddos have a PS3 and a Wii, and they gather dust, everyone wants to use the computer.

5850. I really love my 2 and especially when it comes to Eyefinity.

Or even though you said not too...x360 slim and get Natal once it comes out. ;)

Funny you mention Kinect. I'm betting very heavily (in my mind, anyway) against it. Good, high budget games just can't be gambled on the hardware until it has good penetration, and it won't have good penetration until it has good games. Not to mention rumor has it that it will cost $150 at launch which is just insane. Move could work because it can be added as an option to games that work fine with a controller. It shouldn't take much effort to allow a game to work both ways and I doubt too many games will outright require it. Motion controls were cute on the Wii, but honestly, it's a dead fad after this generation for quite some time (IMO).

Also, Eyefinity won't happen. Besides not having the money for 3 monitors, my honkin 28" barely fits on my desk as it is.

I think you should get the PS3. I change of pace is nice sometimes. I prefer the 360 myself (I like the controller a bit better), but the PS3 is great as well. I'd consider a 360 too though, as you can pick up an arcade model at Target for $130.

360@Target for $130 INCLUDES a $50 gift card.

That's pretty hard to pass up.

Otherwise, get the 5850. Your obviously not Rich Uncle Pennybags. The games will be significantly cheaper, you'll be able to play all the pirated TV shows and movies you can shake a stick at, and remember...

ps3no3.jpg

ps3no5.jpg

ps3no1.jpg

ps3no4.jpg

ps3no2.jpg

The person above me has no idea what they are talking about. If you've been primarily a PC gamer the XBOX doesn't have many games that you can't already get on PC. A lot of the ones you can't you can get on PS3 plus get many more (and better) exclusives. Also, like you said you get a Bluray player with the PS3.

Bottom line: Unless you're a diehard Halo/Gears of War fan there's little reason for a PC gamer to buy a 360.

I'm trying to decide whether I should get a PS3 now or wait. I don't have any of the current gen consoles, and between Demon's Souls, Twisted Metal, etc. etc. I'm ready to cave in. However there have been rumors (strictly rumors thus far) that there is an upcoming update to the PS3 that will have 250 or 500gb and carry wireless-n and so on.

This is also backed up (in my mind) due to the fact that the $400 Move bundle that comes with a PS3 does not specify that it is a 120gb or 250gb or more. They just say "a ps3."

So I'm stuck. Should I buy one now or wait a couple months to see if they release anything special? Would Wireless-N be a big benefit over G for PSN online play?

If you want to waste money, buy Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Sorry, I'm just raged over how I blew $50 on such a shitty game.

360@Target for $130 INCLUDES a $50 gift card.

That's pretty hard to pass up

Watch me. Besides the fact that the old X360 was built with poorer quality standards than Soviet automobiles and sounds like a Harrier taking off, an arcade unit means I need to buy an HDD, wireless adapter and HDMI adapter bringing the console back to like $250. Then I have to pay for Live on top of it if I want the online experience, though admittedly, I don't.

My brother has an X360 and some friends in college had one. I've played Halo. It's overrated. I've played Gears. It's overrated. What else does the X360 have? Alan Wake? That should have released on the PC years ago.

PS3 didn't have games at release. Now it has plenty...in fact, I listed them in my OP.

I'm inclined to go with the 5850 out of sheer die-hard PC gamer fanboyism, but I'm trying to be a bit open-minded here.

What does anyone think about the used card idea?

Is it bad game or were you having issues playing the game with your videocard?

PC version?

I already have it and I love it. BC2 is one of the reasons I would like to upgrade my PC. Right now I play at 1900x1200 on medium/high settings w/ no AA and I get acceptable performance.

I can help answer questions if you post in the BC2 thread, but I don't want to derail my own thread too bad.

In my experience upgrading one part of a computer usually leads to the itch of upgrading another. The PS3 is the easy buy, but I would pick the 5850. That poor 8800GT must be working its ass off at 1900x1200.

If your going to buy a used one, I would only do it on this forum. (That's just me though). I would look too see if its been water cooled, how much and how long it was overclocked, etc. Probably the best card to buy would be one that wasn't overclocked or under water.

Buying a 5850 wouldn't be a waste from a 8800. IMHO buying a ps3 would be a waste...I think you'll get bored of the ps3 when you a decent computer.

Last edited:
I think it really depends on how much you game. For me, between the PS3 and the PC, I have a backlog of games that I'll probably never finish, but having the two gives me the widest library of games between a combination of 2 systems.

If you're summer is free, I'd definitely recommend the PS3. There is a long list of * exclusive games that I can recommend to you across all genres. Noteworthy is Demons Souls, MGS4, uncharted, God of War, Fat Princess, and Katamari Forever (which if you've never played before Forever is the one to get). Some movies are freaking awesome in HD, I would definitely recommend Life on Blu Ray. My friend is trying to sell me his 360 so he can pick up the 250gb model (built in wireless N), but even at dirt cheap I'm still on the fence because I'm only interested in a few games that I cant pick up on PC/PS3.

If you're gaming time is relatively limited, I'd stick with PC. Focus on and enjoy the hell out of the games on PC. I just finished up FO3 again and I had a blast with the DLC. Now I'm back unlocking weapons on BFBC2. I'm currently downloading ME2 that is on sale today for $24, and DA: Awakening is still waiting to be played.

I personally could not play a console on anything smaller than a 40" HDTV. It kind of defeats the purpose. The console is for couch gaming and the pc is for desk gaming. At least that's my own humble opinion.

With that said, I would get the PS3 and keep saving after that for the gfx card upgrade. Then you have the best of both worlds.

need to know the PC games you are playing and plan to play when you upgrade your video card. you need to also keep in mind that the 5850 will be CPU limited. are you also considering a CPU upgrade?

I'd personally go for the PS3 based off the information you've provided.

Back