Help me with a small work assignment? Intel processors and their RAM

Keetha

Limp Gawd
Hi all. My supervisor asked me to go through all of our servers (80+) and verify what type and speed of RAM they have. I was looking for help on two parts of this assignment.
A. Does anyone know of a way to find out what RAM they have, without installing a program on them? (Other than physically checking, which we can't do).
B. What kind (as in EDO, DDR, DDR2 or w/e) of RAM do different Intel processors use?
We have P2s, P3s, P4s and Xeons, all with varying speeds and ages. I know that some processors can use different types of RAM depending on when they were made, so any kind of help is appreciated. Typical speed ratings are also appreciated.

Example of what I'm looking for...
P2s - EH?
P3s - PC100, PC133
P4s - PC2100, PC2700, PC3200
Xeon - EH?
I'm pretty sure I'm right about what I have so far, but confirmation would be cool. I also need to discover a way of determining the speed.

Additional info - I'm "only" an intern. I work at Harley-Davidson. I do have access to all of the servers through remote desktop. Log on accounts are *local*. I can not install programs. I can run programs that don't need to be installed.

All help, information and comments are appreciated. This seems to be a fun little project.

~Keetha

Remote Desktop? So are the servers running windows server 2003? or it is another OS? perhaps windows server 2000?

CPUZ does not need to be installed, you could put it on a floppy or something and take it form machine to machine and run it without installing it.

But she only has access through remote desktop, that's what I meant. I meant no offense, just thinking out loud.

Without running software, withouth physically looking. . . no idea. you need to be able to do one of those two. Windows doesn't keep that kind of information just around. The only other think would be website that does similar things as CPUID. Other wise its physically look.
BTW. P3/P4 could also be RDRAM.
the P2, EDO,FPM, etc . . . even SDRAM depending on age.

This is what I was afraid of :(. Most all of the servers are 2000, some are 2003, 2 are some kind of novell, and 2 are linux. Looks like I am going to run around and use a floppy with CPUZ on it, yay :(. Thanks for the input... Anyone else?

BTW, how does everyone know I am girl?

unless i missed it, why not use remote desktop and run wcpuid off a network share?

Most P2s will use PC66 or PC100, but will also work with PC133 modules.
Very old/low-budget ones will indeed be able to use EDO.

Xeon is not really a certain processor, but is the codename of the server/workstation class processors, like Pentium is for the normal ones, and Celeron for the budget ones. So there's a huge variation of Xeons available, I think they were first introduced in the P2-era.
Generally they'll use ECC memory, I think.

Can't you just tell the CPU type and clockspeed from the Properties window of My Computer? (well perhaps it's turned off, or you run an old Windows version that doesn't display it, but I think it's there in normal Win2k or XP anyway).

If the servers are branded (Dell, HP etc) you should be able to retrieve all of the server details froms its TAG or serial number by going to the manuafacturers website. From there you should be able to see what RAM is being used plus all of the other hardware.

Bradster said:
If the servers are branded (Dell, HP etc) you should be able to retrieve all of the server details froms its TAG or serial number by going to the manuafacturers website. From there you should be able to see what RAM is being used plus all of the other hardware.

Thats what I was going to say.

Keetha said:
<girl in the geek forums alert>

Hey baby, whats your sign? Come here (forums) often? :p j/k lol

Keetha said:

Lucky guess from the fact that your nick ends with 'a', making it sound rather feminine...
The REAL question is... to how many buddy lists have you been added so far, and how many PMs do you get per day? :)

dualblade said:
unless i missed it, why not use remote desktop and run wcpuid off a network share?

Cool idea. I just did that :).

Scali said:
Can't you just tell the CPU type and clockspeed from the Properties window of My Computer? (well perhaps it's turned off, or you run an old Windows version that doesn't display it, but I think it's there in normal Win2k or XP anyway).

I need RAM type and clockspeed.

Also, Scali, I have not received any PMs at all, but who knows how many buddy lists I've been added to :p.

Bradster said:

Duh! I just got the model numbers and checked the documentation at the manufacturer's wbesite.

And guess what. When I was on the last server, I realized I could go to to crucial.com and use their memory selector program!!!

Xneff said:
Without running software, withouth physically looking. . . no idea. you need to be able to do one of those two. Windows doesn't keep that kind of information just around. The only other think would be website that does similar things as CPUID. Other wise its physically look.
BTW. P3/P4 could also be RDRAM.
the P2, EDO,FPM, etc . . . even SDRAM depending on age.

90% of them will be SDRAM. Mainly only servers or really cheap boards used EDO at the PII level. I have never seen Fast Page used with a PII.

Keetha said:
Duh! I just got the model numbers and checked the documentation at the manufacturer's wbesite.

And guess what. When I was on the last server, I realized I could go to to crucial.com and use their memory selector program!!!

Good thinking... WTG.

Back