help me with warped ratpadz xt!

makmatsu

Limp Gawd
so I have 2 radpadz xt, both are about 3-4 years old

anywho, when the pad stays FLAT, its flipping awesome, I love it to death
but eventually, it'll start to bend or warp and my mouse would lose contact and jump all over the screen, very frustrating
I got so fed up with the constant bending "maintenance", I replaced it with a steelseries cloth mat that blows chunks

and yes, both pads are warped
and no, i'm not going to stick it in the oven
I haven't tried bending it in hot/boiling water yet

has anyone found a more permanent solution for this or similar issue?

if there's nothing left, I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a func pad from amazon

I've had my xt for about 4 years now and hasn't warped. My friend had his for 2 years and it warped last year. He just straightened his out by bending it over his knee.

If you're going with the Func pad then I would recommend spending a few more bucks and get the Archetype. It's a bit bigger, has a newer mouse clip, the surface on mine is a carbon fiber weave look, and the base is solid unlike the flabby rubber of the original 1030.

This is what I have. The 2nd pic with 2 different bases I believe is the earlier version. I've had the original 1030 for almost 7yrs and it finally wore down so I tried several pads from Qck, Radzpad, Icemat to the Razer Destructor and none of them compares to the Func IMO. It has the perfect balance of size and glide without being over the top nor did it chewed on my mouse feet.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've had my xt for about 4 years now and hasn't warped. My friend had his for 2 years and it warped last year. He just straightened his out by bending it over his knee.

that's what I do every few days when I notice the mouse acting up (or rather, it feels like the mouse is acting up but there's nothing wrong with the mouse)

If you're going with the Func pad then I would recommend spending a few more bucks and get the Archetype. It's a bit bigger, has a newer mouse clip, the surface on mine is a carbon fiber weave look, and the base is solid unlike the flabby rubber of the original 1030.

This is what I have. The 2nd pic with 2 different bases I believe is the earlier version. I've had the original 1030 for almost 7yrs and it finally wore down so I tried several pads from Qck, Radzpad, Icemat to the Razer Destructor and none of them compares to the Func IMO. It has the perfect balance of size and glide without being over the top nor did it chewed on my mouse feet.

yep, I was gonna grab this one:
http://www.amazon.com/sUrface1030-A...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345041068&sr=1-2
idc about the "oem" graphics (alienware? heh), its the same price as their original pad

Mine has never warped either. put it on a flat surface and put some weights on it? idk,,,

I use a flat marble slab and a straight edge to check the flatness every now and then, and when the warping gets real bad, the pad "rocks" in every direction, its ridiculous
not that it should matter, but I use the left half of the pad most of the time, so I'm not centered

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Mak,

Go with that Alienware version, the graphics wouldn't matter as you're getting a $25 pad for $8 less. My kids got it for me either Father's Day or my birthday, I would have bought the graphics version myself and saved a few bucks. I think you'll like the Func.

Post back if you get it and let us know. There's quite a few members here that still use Funcpads. Thinking of picking up another as backup since they don't make them anymore before they jack up the price.

After about 4 years mine is pretty much shot as well. It's not warped but the main contact area is ground into nothing. It's been causing my G9 some issues. If it was warped I would try boiling it then laying it on a flat surface upside down with a couple hundred pounds of "stuff" on it for the night.

quick update: I got the func archetype and have been using for a few days now (playing gw2) and so far so good, I'm using the rough texture side for reference

I like the overall construction, esp with the base pad design, seems like a good way to make the main pad surface piece replaceable (I haven't checked their site if that's available)

the mouse clip is useless for me, I haven't bothered to figure a way to attach the cord without making a major kink, and loose mouse cord was never an issue for me anyway

I'll see how long this pad lasts and will report in a few years, rofl

*I did try to bend/flatten the ratpadz one last time before buying the func pad, I had it soaking in boiling water for a few minutes, then had about 50-60 lbs of books and other crap on top of it for maybe half an hour, maybe that was too short, but it didn't really help flatten the pad, perhaps its actually worn and scalloped?

quick update: I got the func archetype and have been using for a few days now (playing gw2) and so far so good, I'm using the rough texture side for reference

I like the overall construction, esp with the base pad design, seems like a good way to make the main pad surface piece replaceable (I haven't checked their site if that's available)

They do have replacement sheets available but not on Amazon. ACT Labs

Back