HELP: "network cable unplugged" message when the cable is not unplugged

.enigma.

Weaksauce
I just built a new computer with a i5 750 cpu, msi p55-gd65 motherboard, 4GB RAM and am having trouble connecting to the internet

Even though the LAN cable is plugged in and there is a link light, my computer still says that a network cable is unplugged.

I have vista if it matters

Ive updated all drivers, tried different cords. Also i tried the same cord in my laptop and was able to access the internet.

I wasnt sure where to post this so sorry if this is the wrong section

hope you didn't get a bum mobo. I had a similar error on an older machine when the onboard NIC failed, had to get a PCI one for that machine.

It has 2 ethernet ports and you only have one of them plugged in. Disable the other one.

Device drivers, especially for network connections on Vista, sometimes act a bit funny and even updating them doesn't always work - you have to remove and reinstall them. Try going into device manager and have a look if your network drivers are working properly. Consider removing the network drivers, reboot and get vista to autodetect the hardware again. If that doesn't work, then reinstall the correct network drivers.

p.s. I'm assuming you tried the obvious things like turning on the modem....

Have you tried using the other NIC or a PCI NIC instead?

Forgot about the PCI NIC part of your post. I just found one thta was laying around and put it in. Vista doesnt even recognize it and i cant find any drivers for it. Ill look and see if i have another or can find drivers for it

Echn111, ill try reinstalling the drivers. In device manager it says they are working properly though

It's active in the bios and you flushed the DNS cashe?
Try another network cable?
Tried doing a forceware driver install from the chipset manufacture instead of the windows base drivers?
Can you ping 127.0.0.1?

I just ended up putting in a PCI NIC card and its working now.

I have no idea why the 2 regular ports dont work, they must just be broken. Nothing that i did did anything

I dont think ill RMA though since itll be a pain to take it apart and its working fine now

I didn't read all of the first post, thus my poor reply earlier. If it is new and not working, it isn't that much of a headache to take it apart and RMA it. I would not accept something faulty like that out of the box. It starts with that and who knows what else may fail prematurely.

Back