Help oc'ing A64 3200+ / MSI Neo Platnium

btf

Limp Gawd
So I bought a 3200+ / Msi Neo Platnium last Friday and I need some advice on OC'ing it.

Complete Specs:

Athlon 64 3200+ (New Castle)
2x512 XMS1024-3200LL
Msi Neo Platnium Bios 1.3
Bfg 6800 Ultra
80G Western Digital
Antec 430 True Power

First off the neo seems to be reporting the wrong temperature ~45C Idle / 60C Full load I'm using stock cooling with AS5.

I tried to overclock it every way I could think of. I've been using a 5/6 divider on the ram to rule it out.

Maximum speeds before windows freezez is 2500mhz. I get errors in prime95 above 2450mhz.I got a stable overclock at [email protected] (Prime95 ran for 16 hours without problems)

Even tried 1.60 Volts @ 2450 but that didn't work. Errors in Prime95 after a few minutes.

I also tried lowering the multiplier to 10x switching the HTT to 3x/245mhz but that gave me the same results. Crashes windows at 2500~ Unstable in Prime95 after a few minutes.

So what other options can I try? Would raising the voltage more help any? What voltage can these processors "safely" take? If I could run 250mhz on HTT this would allow me the run the ram at 5/6 with really tight timings at ~208mhz.

Running at 2400mhz with ram at 2-3-3-6 has almost no performance improvement to running 2200mhz at 2-2-2-5.

damn, I think I bought the wrong memory. scroll down a page in this forum to see my thread for complete details, but I've heard that you need to set HTT to 3x to overclock beyond 230 FSB. But then even with watercooling my results apparently suck, so maybe I don't know what I'm doing.

-edit-- after more testing, i think poor north bridge cooling is my problem, not the ballistix.

I was going to buy the same ram but couldn't find anyone who had it in town so I went with 3200LL...

The ram is rated at 2-3-2-6 but does 2-2-2-5 without any problems. I was reading lots of posts on their website and the "ram guy" suggests running 2.75 volts on AMD mobo's so that's what I'm doing. 2.70 is stock for my ram.

One thing I noticed also if I'm overclocking several options on the bios need to be turned off. If I remember correctly there's a settings for tight memory timings which needs to be disabled. But the one that was holding me back at first was the spread spectrum or something, that has to be disable if you overclock the FSB at very high speeds.

About the AGP/PCI lock, is there anyway to check to see if it's really working? People say to put the AGP at 67 or 68 for it to work?

My previous mobo didn't have a pci/agp lock and if i would up the fsb the smallest amount my 6800 ultra would crap out. My ti4600 could handle a 75mhz agp.

on stock cooling I suggest an upgrade maybe an xp-120 and a led fan for some bling :D

my 6800U is also sensitive to the AGP overclock, i couldnt get anywhere before I changed the bus speed. For some reason I thought 67 didnt work for me, but i may have had other issues (like still using 4x on HTT). Symptoms of agp getting screwed up included a flickering signal, input out of range messages, or no video at all.

Back