Help on new build

craigdeguz

Gawd
Hey guys,

So im gonna make a new build to get ready for DX10 and this is what I have chosen so far. My current build is in my sig. The only item im not sure about is a case. My current case is thermal take xaser and im not crazy about it. This system will be mainly for gaming and general computer usage:

Monitor UltraSharp 2407WFP 749

Proc Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail 315

Fan ZALMAN 9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail 59.99

Mobo EVGA 122-CK-NF68-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail 224

PS CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail 169.99

Vid card 8800gts 600

Memory BUFFALO Firestix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail 189.99

Hard drive Western Digital Caviar RE WD3200YS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM 99.99

Any way to make it cheaper or better? What should I do about the case, use the thermal take xaser or get a new one?

Thanks!!!

Case is up to you. I'd suggest a different HDD. The WD RE drives are optimized for RAID, and really should NOT be run in a standalone environment. Go for the WD3200(AA)KS instead, or the Seagate 7200.10 320GB. Oh, the -AR eVGA motherboard has a lifetime warranty, as opposed to the 2yr warranty on the -TR.

edit: sorry, i forgot the "NOT"

did you want case suggestions? If so, look at the CM Stacker or Tt Armor. The P180 is popular, too. Did you need something along those lines, or something cheaper?

Damn good build. All you really have to do is ditch the Western Digital and go for the Seagate 7200.10 320GB hard drive like enginurd suggested. It's a fast hard drive and has a five year warranty.

Other than the hard drive, can't really think of anything you need to replace. You did your research well and you chose really great parts. Have fun man.

EDIT: If you go with the P180, you will have to take a little more time setting up your system. I have one and I love it! It's a clean and somewhat silent case.

Thanks for the input guys.

As far as a case, I still dont know if i want to keep mine. Im not a big fan of it because cable management is hard inside of it. Also, its very loud.

So suggestions on a case that is a bit more quite, easy for case managment, and attractive?

Also, i found this Hard drive, Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM, is this the one you speak off?

Also, for vid cards, GTS vs GTX. Do i need GTX to run the dell 2407?

Thanks guys

Also, i found this Hard drive, Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM, is this the one you speak off?

Thanks guys

Yes that's the hard drive we recommend.

Dunno about the Dell and the GTX.

As for cases, there's not that many cases I know of that are silent, easy cable management and attractive. It's the silent part where many cases fail.

Personally I like the P180 but cable management is somewhat a pain in the ass.

But cases I've seen recommended on this forum often:

- The Coolermaster Stacker 830
- Silverstone TJ-109
- Antec 900

Dunno how quiet those cases but if you use near silent 120MM fans, you can get rid of most of the noise from a case.

hey guys,
thanks for the input. I ordered the seagate hard drive tonight since that will already work with the system i have. I currently have a ide Western digital 120gb hard drive so this will be a nice little upgrade.

i plan on getting the other goods in 2-3months. still looking for info about cases, vid cards, and monitors

if you can afford it the thermaltake armour is good. or the lcs (like me)- would mean you could overclock a nice amount.

hey guys,
thanks for the input. I ordered the seagate hard drive tonight since that will already work with the system i have. I currently have a ide Western digital 120gb hard drive so this will be a nice little upgrade.

i plan on getting the other goods in 2-3months. still looking for info about cases, vid cards, and monitors

In 2 - 3 months you're going to want/need to re-research this again;

Do i need GTX to run the dell 2407?
Check out reviews for the games you want to play at that monitors resolution. My guess is, YES, you'll need the GTX to run games nicely... maybe even SLI. But, since you're unsure, go with one card now, and see how it is... maybe when Crysis comes out, you'll need to add another, hehe... which shouldn't be too long from now.

The WD RE drives are optimized for RAID, and really should NOT be run in a standalone environment.

There's nothing wrong with using the RE drives in a standalone machine. The biggest difference between the RE and the regular WDs is the rated duty cycle.

Go for the WD3200(AA)KS instead, or the Seagate 7200.10 320GB.

The WD RE drive outperforms the Seagate in most benchmarks. Not by a lot, but it's significant. Check Tom's Hardware or the Storage Review websites.

about cases, ive noticed a lot of people love the silverstone tj07. Im thinking about getting one. is cable management easy for one of these? how about cooling and loudness?

There's nothing wrong with using the RE drives in a standalone machine. The biggest difference between the RE and the regular WDs is the rated duty cycle.

You forgot TLER and RAFF. Check out the WD site for more info on TLER.

Back