help out on PC problem

acee

Gawd
So, i'm helping a friend clean her OS and the inside of the case. I found out that her heatsink is build up with years of dust so I use a qtip to wipe away the dust. In the end it looks brand new. So I put it back into the PC and start it up.. now there is no display when I try to start it? Did i fry my video card or something?

Also there is a continuous beep sound almost like an ambulance sound. What did i do wrong? and what should i do to fix it?

Thanks!

You may have shorted something in the PC.

IIRC, a continuous long beep means that you have a RAM problem.

So try to boot the system with only one stick of RAM. Try out multiple slots with that one stick of RAM to see if one of the slots is malfunctioning.

im not sure whats wrong... i did the ram check with each single slot but that doesn't seem to be the issue. Then the CPU heatsink is running, harddrive seems to be fine, PSU is giving power, the CMOS battery is ok, only thing i can think of right now is the video card?

Agreed - did you take out the CPU when you cleaned the heatsink and fan? If so, did you put it back in correctly?

dandragonrage made good point - All fans go on when you hit power and/or make sure the fan is connected to the pins on the MB correctly?

swap up what RAM chip you used in each of the slots to make sure the one you were using to test wasn't bad. I'd also try with two - depending on PC, some of cranky when you dont pair your slots.

Pop the Model number in google and search for BIOS beep codes and see whats matches up to what you're hearing

i didnt took out the CPU when I was cleaning the heatsink. I place it back correctly and plug it in the right slot. I checked the 2 fans which is the heatsink fan and the back fan and both are working fine. The ram im not sure as i dont have another to test out nor do i have another comp that uses ddr ram.

i can't find the BIOS/mobo model # as I can't even display it on the monitor :(

Did the video card have a power cable running to it that is now unplugged?

i dont think there is a power cable that runs to the video card. It is an AGP card.

Right now my main issues with this PC is the siren/ambulance noise which i think is due to overheat problems but the heatsink fan is working???

Then it wont display anything for some reason on the monitor.. I change the setting to d-sub already but i still get a blank screen..

Any possible solutions?

i dont think there is a power cable that runs to the video card. It is an AGP card.

Some AGP cards do need an additional power cable. Make sure that the video card doesn't require one.

no this one doesnt require one and the CPU fan header is placed correctly

Back