Help - Picking out a Case

crowat

Limp Gawd
Hi Guys,

I am struggling to pick out a case. I currently have the following build.

i5 750 - w/Cogage True Spirit
MSI P55 - GD65
4GB RAM
nVidia 8800 GTS 640MB

I am probably ordering a CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-950TX today and I am planning on getting at least one 5870 in the next month. Now I currently have a Antec 900 that is getting really tight. I had to remove the side fan since with the new CPU cooler it would not fit. I dremeled some holes in the case to hide some of the cables.

What I am looking for in a new case.
- More room (like being able to fit a side fan and use my true spirit, not feeling like I am working in a matchbox, room for one 5870 and maybe another down the line)
- Good cable management
- Good cooling solution (fans)
- Cost around $100

Nice to have (but not a must)
- black interior
- tool less assembly
- side window

Let me know what you guys think. Also, thanks for the help and input.

P.S.
I am currently looking at:
HAF 922
HAF 932
CM 690 II

CM 690 II is my suggestion

and the 950watt PSU? Planning a tri-sli setup? 2x 5870 would need is good 750watt PSU.

My vote is a CM 690 II. Check out this picture of 2 x 240mm radiators and a single loop.

dscf1867.jpg

Kinda clean for a mid tower. To be honest, the CM 690 II cannot use a side fan when using a 120mm tower. However, if you choose the HAF 922, you can use any fan on the side panel and your Cogage.

CM 690 II is my suggestion

and the 950watt PSU? Planning a tri-sli setup? 2x 5870 would need is good 750watt PSU.

Yeah, I think the 690 II is winning right now. As for the 950TX vs 850 it's still under some consideration but the 950 is about 10 more. So if that gets me a little more room to work with. Does it really hurt?

How is the cooling on the CM 690 II? How many fans I would need to run on it. Also, CM lists just a CM 690 II Basic Black what is the difference between that one and Advanced?

Edit: I see that the Basic vs the Advanced. The advanced has the retention bracket for Gfx cards and the Sata HDD dock on the top.

Thank you for all your input. Going to go to MC tomorrow and play with some of the cases. I know they have all the above on the floor.

Last edited:
Well I am a proud owner of an CM 690 II Advanced. Went to MC and checked it out vs the HAFs. Fell in love with the black interior and I had to have it.

My temps did go up about ~5C. I think I need to get a side fan and tape the top side hole since I am not using it. Also, anyone using the side fan behind the CPU?

I currently have the following fans

140 front / in
140 bottom / in
120 2x top / out
120 back / out

Still need my side in on the GFX and to tape the other hole till I can get a proper window. Anyone have a suggestion where to get the window from? All I saw around was for the 690 regular.

Back